Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

Rzr in a truck bed: Ford Raptor or Toyota Tundra?

20K views 61 replies 30 participants last post by  gray_cobra 
#1 ·
I'm thinking of getting either a Ford Raptor or Toyota Tundra (double cab, regular bed) but I'm not too sure if my Rzr would fit in the back of either. Looking at the dimensions for the beds of both it looks like a tight fit at best.

My Rzr is almost stock except for Bighorn tires (so a little wider than 50", but not by a lot).

Has anybody tried this or know if either would work?

Thanks.

#4 ·
I know that an S will fit in a short box GM....
...buy the raptor....
I appreciate the input guys. I'm leaning A LOT towards the Raptor myself but I'm trying to look at the practical aspects also (which is hard). The Tundra bed is a little longer (by 10 inches or so), but it looks like even with that the tailgate will be down.

I saw online that the 2011 Raptor is supposed to have a full crew cab as an option (standard 6.2 engine also). The bed looks about the same from the pictures at least.

#5 ·
You won't be able to close the tailgate on either.. I've got a 5.7L Tundra double cab. The tailgate will not close with a RZR in there. Its pretty close though.

As far as which truck. Those are two pretty different trucks. Your talking a 40k truck with a factory Long travel vs a 24k work horse. Of course if you get a loaded Tundra the price goes up. Mine was around 28k with a few odd and ends. If you plan on driving the truck off road a lot and don't plan on towing much. Then the Raptor is a kewl truck.. If you plan on pulling the truck into a campground and unloading your RZR to go riding I'd get the trundra.

#6 ·
I would agree with 8Ball. I looked at the Ford Raptor and I just couldn't justify it. The Raptor is a Prerunner truck, plain and simple .It doesn't tow or haul much and its gets lousy gas mileage. Hell it's almost as bad as my 08 F250 Diesel crew cab, and it would take 3 Raptors to tow as much as I could. The new version Raptor will be coming soon with a crew cab and that will make it more practical, but if its your only towing transportation you may not want it to be your toy also.
My truck is intended for pulling my toys vs. using the truck as a toy though. Also I figure how often would I really use that Raptor anyway, and I live out in the desert. Better off with the Tundra if that's the other option. Even thought the Raptor has the Suhweeeet....factor!

#7 ·
hard decision, as stated if your not gonna use the raptor its kind of a waste, but being i work for ford and they are sweet trucks i vote raptor cause you wouldnt want to move forward...unwilingly...

squale 1 word will fix your MPG issues.... Spartan

#8 ·
Theres better ways to get money into our economy.....why would you buy an american car when you can get 2-3x more life out of a foreign one. I could never depend on an american car after what all my friends go through w/theres.
Fords.....chevys.....they all junk.
If the raptor is a diesel then not so bad but toyota always has my vote.
I know several ppl w/tacomas and tundras and they are great trucks. Never been in one w/a 8 ft bed tho...

#9 ·
I think you biggest problem is going to be bed length. Im pretty sure that both will have to have the tailgate down to haul. I would get the one that would suit you needs for driving. I also would buy some of the tailgate supports DG Manufacturing Home Page
Just my .02

I think they are both awesome trucks and if you go with a raptor I would wait till the 6.2 and the crew cab at least then they both would be 4 doors and big motors.

#11 ·
the raptor is def sweet, i have a 2010 4dr f150 lariat and i love it (realize not the same thing, but still similar parts) but honestly loading the rzr in a raptor will be tricky, the thing sits off the ground more than the tundra....but then again, i wouldnt personally haul my S in the back of the truck, but i realize some guys have to. Make sure you get tailgate supports (search the board on this one, lots of guys have had issues) or back it in!

#12 ·
I had a Tundra Double cab and I could fit my S in there, but the rear tires would be all the way on the tailgate. I didn't trust the tailgate so I made a platform that went in the receiver and took the tailgate off when I hauled it. If the raptor bed is 10in shorter than the rear tires may be hanging off the tailgate.

#15 ·
I raised the question of which truck to buy based on whether or not my atv would fit in the back... it was a scrambler at the time and had a big impact on the truck I bought. Toyota Tacoma. so now with the rzr i trailer it. but even before i got the rzr I started trailing almost every time I would ride.

The reason is... when I had the quad in the back of the truck, it totally fills the truck bed. there is no room for anything else... which is how the rzr will be in the back of a full size. So in the end i prefer to trailer and leave the bed closed with a tanno cover for dry storage of my gear.

Other things to consider for having it in the bed.
1. allows you to tow and extra machine. this cut back on gas. IE. you and your buddy go riding, you can take one truck and split the cost of fuel and you can talk to each other on the ride to the riding area. one rzr in bed and one rzr on trailer.
2. you can tow a camping trailer and your rzr,
3. do you have a place to store a trailer??? this was a big issue for me hauling in the bed. no storage for trailer when not in use as i used to live in an apartment.

Have to give my $.02 on the American truck bit... I am a very proud patriot. I think our gov't is going to hell in hand basket with greed and corruption, obamanation....
Toyota Motor Sales is a US publicly traded company. So are the many manufacturing facilities in the US. providing jobs to many Americans including myself. Even the engines and transmissions are made in the USA, with US Aluminum and US steel, we buy the our bolts from many of the same bolt manufactures who sell to the big three. trust me, if you buy Toyota, you are supporting the US economy and America. Toyota has just invested $50M in electric vehicle technology company Tesla, in Fremont CA. Tires too... Toyota has recently announced building a new plant in Mississippi that will create upwards of 5000 jobs. I have not heard GM or any US auto manufacturing company provide jobs anytime recently. Toyota puts alot more into there vehicles than GM and Ford and Chrysler. Why do you think employee discounts are up to 18% on a GM... because thats the mark up! On a Toyota the mark up is way less, because it cost more to make a Toyota and we need to stay price competitive. I get Dealer cost when I by a truck from Toyota, and believe me, its only a couple of grand off on a 29K truck.

My dad bought only Chevy trucks for ever and never was really happy. He got a tundra in 2007 and loves it.

I have never owned a ford, but I hear they are a tough truck and styling has improved over the years. Chevy would probably be my second choice of the big three, forget about Chrysler unless you are only in it for the CUmmins...as it is an awesome motor...
but nothing will compare to the quality and resale value of a Toyota.

The US was better before... but if we keep accepting allowing the gov't to control and provide a cradle to grave society, we will be lost. Power corrupts...

#16 ·
The economy is SLOWLY starting to turn for the better.
I just don't see any reason to ever buy an american car though....seems like your only cheating yourself.
Why would you buy something that is going to have problems in several years vs something that could last you 10 with no probs?

#17 ·
The economy is SLOWLY starting to turn for the better.
I just don't see any reason to ever buy an american car though....seems like your only cheating yourself.
Why would you buy something that is going to have problems in several years vs something that could last you 10 with no probs?
Look at the problems we have now....I can remember when folks would have a good paying job...That was before the Japanese invasion..and I aint talking Pearl Harbor...For some effen reason Americans like to Advocate for Un-American Company's....I dont get it....It seems Anti-American to me....I am so sick of hearing how great there chit is and our's is Junk...Its back-azz-words..Dont you think we should be Advocating and Supporting Our American Company's over theres
But in contrast it doesn't make sense to spend my hard earned money on a vehicle that is sub par. This isn't really just an opinion, this is becoming a sad reality. The first vehicle I ever bought new was a Chevy S10... Piece of shit. It had problems from 23,000 miles on until I could afford to trade it in at 120,000 miles. I traded it in on a Ford Explorer and vowed to never own another GM again. The Explorer had less problems, but still had some, to include the transmission going out at 120,000 miles. Traded that in on a Toyota FJ. I am still a fan of Ford, but that bad trans kept me from buying another American made vehicle.

I think American engineers have a great eye for style (ie. Raptor, Camaro, Challenger) But unfortunately, they have cut huge costs on quality.

And, exactly why do you think its better to spend the money on American and watch the top execs get richer and watch them send that money to Mexico for labor, then giving it to Toyota and having it go to an American plant to pay for American labor?

By the way, my FJ is made in AZ.

#20 ·
I like that your patriotic leo.
The car shows are a different story though. Classic cars if you will are much different than the ones that are out today. Much easier to work on and they have obviously lasted that long.
Classic cars are also a limited market. Only collectors and such want to by a classic car. The average family or individual goes out and they want a dependable car that is relative in cost.
I drive a nissan sentra,small sedan,but when I look at what my friends have...ford focus,chevy cobalt,dodge neon....I see them having major problems before 100,000 miles,hell sometimes I see em having problems right after 50,000. I have a 2003 sentra I'm about to hit 100,000 miles on this week and I haven't done anything more than change the oil and oil/air filters.
I know people w/nissans nearing 200,000 and they have not had a problem.
With the exception of honda, I feel nissan and toyota have cars that are even cheaper than a comparible american car......

#36 ·
I like that your patriotic leo.
The car shows are a different story though. Classic cars if you will are much different than the ones that are out today. Much easier to work on and they have obviously lasted that long.
Classic cars are also a limited market. Only collectors and such want to by a classic car. The average family or individual goes out and they want a dependable car that is relative in cost.
I drive a nissan sentra,small sedan,but when I look at what my friends have...ford focus,chevy cobalt,dodge neon....I see them having major problems before 100,000 miles,hell sometimes I see em having problems right after 50,000. I have a 2003 sentra I'm about to hit 100,000 miles on this week and I haven't done anything more than change the oil and oil/air filters.
I know people w/nissans nearing 200,000 and they have not had a problem.
With the exception of honda, I feel nissan and toyota have cars that are even cheaper than a comparible american car......
Thanks Zak:)....You know we do-not hear enough positive stuff about American cars...that all goes to the Japanese cars:rm_thumbdown:....I have never owned a Japanese car and prolly never will...I guess I dont buy all that propaganda B.S. and jumping for joy crap:rofl3::rofl3: remember that...I have bought 3 Saturns since 1993...Here is some positive stuff on American car that we very seldom hear , cause every-one is jumping with joy:rofl3::rofl3:...My 1st one 1993 my daughter still drives with over 260,000 Trouble-Free Miles:)..2nd one 1996 my wifes dad bought it from me when it had 230,000 Trouble Free Miles:) and he still has it...3rd one I still drive:) its a 1998 with almost 200,000 Trouble-Free Miles:)....I believe its a better car than a Toyota...but Toyota does have one thing since its #1.....A ton of Cash to spend Brain-Washing the American Public..and its been very successful at that:)
Hey Leo... I don't want you to confuse being patriotic with engineering or quality. The problem with GM and the other big three is simply greed and being cocky. its has nothing to do with their or our (American) ability to engineer or build cars. (Many Toyotas sold in the USA are also designed in the USA, Toyota Technical Center in Anarbor MI) GM has not improved b/c because they have thought they can just keep making money with out improving their product. This is why they have fallen behind. and other companies, like Toyota have continued to improve and surpassed them. This is starting to happen with Microsoft now. most people don't even know that there is any another operating system available for a computer than Windows... no competition =no need to improve. Its like welfare.... or gov't bail outs... if you have no reason to work b/c the govt will pay your way, why put forth the effort to improve your skills and actually get a better job....??? the poor get poorer, the rich get richer.... anyways, sorry, getting off topic..

Its awesome that you brought up Saturn. If you know the history of the saturn brand, it was to copy toyota and honda. Note the similarities between the first saturns and toyotas of the same years. This was GM realizing that if they were to maintain being competitive, they must learn from HOnda and toyota. The entire Saturn project was designed by GM to use honda and Toyota manufacturing and design methods. Notice how Saturns use all Metric fasteners... The management was total new and totally non-GM with the sole purpose of learning how to do what Toyota was doing and sell a car that would be competitive. I drive a saturn right now! but it was made before GM ca-bashed the saturn project which is why now saturns look and are the same as a malibu or other similar sized GM sedans, just rebadged.

This is a fundamental difference in thinking between Japan and US. If the Japanese see that they have been beat, they are humbled and say "man the US beat us, they have surpassed our knowledge in X area, how can we learn from them so that we can improve our selves" and then they study what ever we beat them at and improve it. If Japan beats the US, typical US thinking is " F- you, I don't need to look and your Jap crap, i can do it better on my own without learning a damn thing from you" Which essentially means that it take us, THE USA, longer to learn how to improve than it does Japan. There are many business case studies that support this idea, I have also seen this attitude from management at several companies i have worked for as a design engineer in the past.

Check out "The machine that changed the world" and " The Toyota way"
good books that explain why toyota is what they are.

this forum is an addiction!

#21 ·
.....that Raptor is waaayyyy cool!!

But why do you have a RZR??

I buy my trucks for getting my butt from point A to point B....I really don't put anything cool on them....I have a RZR for the trashing/

Toyotas are just getting going at 100,000 miles.......I bet that Raptor will be well worn out..............probably because you will be tempted to use it as a pre runner

get the Ford!!!!!

#26 ·
i had a fully loaded tundra, it has a weak chassis, shitty interior and overall build quality was sub par. Motor was great and thats about it. I would not buy anything but a ford truck these days possible a chevy. But if you really want a sporty truck get the Raptor. The tundra is a joke in my opinion of course.

#27 ·
I bought the Ford F-250. I wanted a truck with truck tires. My buddy put a rock through his passenger tires on Dodge Ram. My RZR fits between the wheel wells, and I back it in. I worked for both Ford and Toyota, both are great companys, with great products. The Tundra is made in Texas, by Americans.

Attachments

#28 ·
[/quote]Thanks Zak:)....You know we do-not hear enough positive stuff about American cars...that all goes to the Japanese cars:rm_thumbdown:....I have never owned a Japanese car and prolly never will...I guess I dont buy all that propaganda B.S. and jumping for joy crap:rofl3::rofl3: remember that...I have bought 3 Saturns since 1993...Here is some positive stuff on American car that we very seldom hear , cause every-one is jumping with joy:rofl3::rofl3:...My 1st one 1993 my daughter still drives with over 260,000 Trouble-Free Miles:)..2nd one 1996 my wifes dad bought it from me when it had 230,000 Trouble Free Miles:) and he still has it...3rd one I still drive:) its a 1998 with almost 200,000 Trouble-Free Miles:)....I believe its a better car than a Toyota...but Toyota does have one thing since its #1.....A ton of Cash to spend Brain-Washing the American Public..and its been very successful at that:)[/QUOTE]

If you give me your home mailing address either or where the cars are parked at I can make them dissapear and we can set you up with a yota!!!hahah

#30 · (Edited)
Hi,

I have the Bighorn tires on my RzR and had the F-150 wheels wells moved 2" toward the fenders. It now fits without going over the "Hump".

Attachments

#33 ·
for my business (construction)i have trucks from Ford, GM, Toyota, and Chrysler. in the real world of using them I have found that all of them have been good vehilces. the real differences in quality seem to be very small. it seems that all of the manufacturers are producing a pretty damn good product at this point.
Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.