Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

RZR engine brake OMG

15K views 32 replies 15 participants last post by  willig72 
#1 · (Edited)
OK I trail ride only and no engine brake was hard on my brakes. I have read all of the posts about hitting the throttle to slow down and I was able to do that. But a lot of the rough trails we ride that was way faster than you wanted to go so you would have to ride your brakes. :rm_thumbdown:
It was a little pricey but I replaced my secondary clutch with a different helix cut, then installed a 1 way bearing in the primary clutch and OMG. I love it, went all of the down to Pea river and never even thought about using the brakes. Normally I had to use them most of the way down before, not any more.
OK for the people who knows as little as I did about this here is a couple of information points.
The Polaris secondary clutch has the helix made as part of the clutch is why you have to replace the complete secondary clutch. The new clutch will have a replaceable helix, should you every want to change it again it makes it a lot cheaper only having to replace the helix.
The 1 way bearing you read about using that is from the Quad does work.

#2 ·
How much did it cost for everything to do the swap?

#4 ·
OK I trail ride only and no engine brake was hard on my brakes. I have read all of the posts about hitting the throttle to slow down and I was able to do that.
I think hitting the throttle helps when you have the engine break, at least that is the way it was with my 800 Sportsman.

I hated the engine break.

I have over 6,000 miles on my 800 s and the breaks are still good.

What kind of problems did you have with your breaks?

Some times dealers just tell you you need new breaks.

I have over 165,000 miles on my Duramax 2500HD and still have the factory breaks on and most of the miles are pulling a trailer.

#5 ·
dmax61

I had no problems with the brakes. But having to ride my brakes for 30 & 40 minutes at a time was the issue I had. All so in my original post I said I was able tap the throttle and slow down, just not near enough for me. I don't care to ride down hills where I go over some rock drop offs as much as maybe 18" or a washed out gullies with tree roots and rocks sticking out at 2010 rzr tap throttle speed.
Now back to the brakes, each time I go down 1 of the many hills I ride and I can go MUCH slower without use my brakes means less wear and tear. I won't wear out the brakes, calipers, rotors or master cylinder near as soon. I all so can at ease just take slow crawl over obstacles as to not tearing up the rest of the rzr.
Maybe most people don't think about "a wheel is only good for so many turns"

#7 ·
OK I trail ride only and no engine brake was hard on my brakes. I have read all of the posts about hitting the throttle to slow down and I was able to do that. But a lot of the rough trails we ride that was way faster than you wanted to go so you would have to ride your brakes. :rm_thumbdown:
It was a little pricey but I replaced my secondary clutch with a different helix cut, then installed a 1 way bearing in the primary clutch and OMG. I love it, went all of the down to Pea river and never even thought about using the brakes. Normally I had to use them most of the way down before, not any more.
OK for the people who knows as little as I did about this he is a couple of information points.
The Polaris secondary clutch has the helix made as part of the clutch is why you have to replace the complete secondary clutch. The new clutch will have a replaceable helix, should you every want to change it again it makes it a lot cheaper only having to replace the helix.
That is sweet. Thanks for sharing. My old 08 has the helix incorporated in the secondary too. I want to install the one-way bearing in the primary and then at some point change to a different secondary so I can work with different helix's. Some hate EB but I think it's great for certain types of riding conditions and styles.
Ken

#17 ·
That is sweet. Thanks for sharing. My old 08 has the helix incorporated in the secondary too. I want to install the one-way bearing in the primary and then at some point change to a different secondary so I can work with different helix's. Some hate EB but I think it's great for certain types of riding conditions and styles.
Ken
08 had a replaceable helix yours must of been replaced
My 08 did not have a replacement helix. I bought the girl "brand spankin new" in Yuma, Dec. 2007.
Ken
somebody must of swaped it out at the dealer all 08 had a replaceable helix you got robbed...

#8 · (Edited)
My 2112 RZR 800S-L/E came with the two-way bearing in the Primary and the P-O-S Rapid-Reaction Secondary. I, and several others on the Forum, changed it out to the SLP (Starting Line Products) clutch-kit. The kit comes with the complete replacement Team Industries HD Secondary-clutch (the one that used to come on the early and pre-'08 RZR's), with the replaceable helix, and the replacement fly-weights and main-spring for the Primary-clutch. The SLP clutch-kit will completely transform your RZR. It engages just above idle (no more belt-slipping, jerky starts), and accelerates MUCH more rapidly than stock. It takes nothing away from your top-speed. The engine-braking engages anytime you take your foot off of the "go-pedal" and stays engaged almost all the way down to idle (no more having to do the brake-throttle, brake-throttle, brake-throttle dance on the long downhills). Mine came set-up for desert-and-mountain trail riding at 4500 ft. and above, which is perfect since I operate in the high-desert and mountains; they also offer a similar kit for those operating at lower altitudes. Everyone who has installed this clutch-kit has been VERY pleased with how it performs. If you're not happy with the way your clutch performs, it would be worth your time to check-out the one from SLP.

Cheers

#24 ·
you may end up going thru belts now...of course they are wear items, just like brakes, but cheaper and easier to replace!
hrm...

Belt $50-80 depending and about 1.5-2 hours swap time

Brakes $25-45 and about 45 minutes to swap out

Brakes seem easier and cheaper to me

We are looking at safety and ease, if you don't understand that is OK.

#10 ·
When I can afford it I will look into the clutch kit BR mentioned if they make one for the 570. I have adapted to the throttle/brake combo and it works well but I have yet to test it on really steep hills. I always loved engine braking on my motorcycles and would like to have it on my 570.

#15 ·
OK for the people who knows as little as I did about this he is a couple of information points.
Ken

#16 ·
Ken
My 08 did not have a replacement helix. I bought the girl "brand spankin new" in Yuma, Dec. 2007.
Ken

#19 ·
If you just put in the one way bearing in the Drive Clutch, the bearing is about $75.

SLP makes the tools to do the job, but about $230.

So I recommend taking out the Drive Clutch and take it to the dealer and have it installed. The bearing should turn clockwise.

Or perhaps there's someone close by that has the SLP tools?

Pirate

#22 ·
Very predictable, and as sandblster comments, take your time and learn to work with it.

We've all had experiences with change. Truck I drove around the farm didn't know wat power brakes were. Then go learners permit and took Mom on errands in her new Chrysler...threw her on the floor three times figuring out you don't stomp power brakes.

Put a Pak Brake on my first diesel pick-up...yup, spilled a couple of cokes figuring out why the nose pitched down so danged hard when I let off the gas.

You get the picture! Now all these years later, get a real kick out of watching other learn the same lessons!!

lots and lots of laughs!!!

Pirate

#28 ·
Engine breaking is awesome for trail riding. Nothing is worse the then free wheeling then having to blip the gas to re engage the clutch. Most your in low so it jerks you. And I also agree its easy to get use to. Just don't let off the gas till you want to stop or let off slowly. XPs come with much better engine braking then the 800s stock.

#30 ·
Engine breaking is awesome for trail riding. Nothing is worse the then free wheeling then having to blip the gas to re engage the clutch. Most your in low so it jerks you. And I also agree its easy to get use to. Just don't let off the gas till you want to stop or let off slowly. XPs come with much better engine braking then the 800s stock.
I agree, 100%. Now that I've got good engine-braking, I can't imagine going back to operating without it! And, BTW, I still retained the two-way bearing in my Primary; it's just that my SLP clutch engages quickly and stays engaged to a MUCH lower RPM. Couldn't ask for more!

Cheers

#31 ·
OMG, no way I could go back to the "runaway clutch."

Also spent $500 to basically put the old style clutch and helix in, money well spent.

:camorzr:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.