Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
Engine brake the only way to go in the mountain west. Love the engine brake. So much safer on the downs and so much better control.
Well one time I was heading down a mountain trail that was mountain on one side and drop off on the other side.

I was coming up on a corner let up on the gas the back tires locked up in the soft dirt it started to slide side ways and nearly pitched me over the edge.

Another time I was backing off my trailer on 8' ramps. I had to give it gas to get over the hump at the top then I let off the gas the back tires locked up and nearly pitched me off the ramps.

There was another time I was coming down a smooth granite face I let off the gas and....well you get the idea.

This is why I DO NOT like the Engine Break
I think you need to learn how to operate your machine. The engine brake is predicable.

·
Registered
7,253 Posts
Very predictable, and as sandblster comments, take your time and learn to work with it.

We've all had experiences with change. Truck I drove around the farm didn't know wat power brakes were. Then go learners permit and took Mom on errands in her new Chrysler...threw her on the floor three times figuring out you don't stomp power brakes.

Put a Pak Brake on my first diesel pick-up...yup, spilled a couple of cokes figuring out why the nose pitched down so danged hard when I let off the gas.

You get the picture! Now all these years later, get a real kick out of watching other learn the same lessons!!

lots and lots of laughs!!!

Pirate

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Very predictable, and as sandblster comments, take your time and learn to work with it.

We've all had experiences with change. Truck I drove around the farm didn't know wat power brakes were. Then go learners permit and took Mom on errands in her new Chrysler...threw her on the floor three times figuring out you don't stomp power brakes.

Put a Pak Brake on my first diesel pick-up...yup, spilled a couple of cokes figuring out why the nose pitched down so danged hard when I let off the gas.

You get the picture! Now all these years later, get a real kick out of watching other learn the same lessons!!

lots and lots of laughs!!!

Pirate
X2 :rofl3:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #24

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
:rofl3: Ok then ....
Ken
OOPS ...:doh::doh: well i went back to look at some pics of the secondary when I changed the spring and there it was - a removable HELIX on a 4 bolt flange. An example of "opening mouth and inserting a foot" .. embarrassing ...
Ken

·
Registered
7,253 Posts
Ken,

Ummm...but did it taste good??? LOL!!!

Happens to all of us...fingers can type faster than what's left of brain can think...

Pirate

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
Engine breaking is awesome for trail riding. Nothing is worse the then free wheeling then having to blip the gas to re engage the clutch. Most your in low so it jerks you. And I also agree its easy to get use to. Just don't let off the gas till you want to stop or let off slowly. XPs come with much better engine braking then the 800s stock.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
I love engine braking on a side by side. I put a ddp team clutch in my ranger. I miss it. mud and hills will wear a set of brake pads out in about 300 miles. I dont think i'd ever go to a one way bearing through. Too much risk for the reward when you're way back in the hills.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Engine breaking is awesome for trail riding. Nothing is worse the then free wheeling then having to blip the gas to re engage the clutch. Most your in low so it jerks you. And I also agree its easy to get use to. Just don't let off the gas till you want to stop or let off slowly. XPs come with much better engine braking then the 800s stock.
I agree, 100%. Now that I've got good engine-braking, I can't imagine going back to operating without it! And, BTW, I still retained the two-way bearing in my Primary; it's just that my SLP clutch engages quickly and stays engaged to a MUCH lower RPM. Couldn't ask for more!

Cheers

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
OMG, no way I could go back to the "runaway clutch."

Also spent $500 to basically put the old style clutch and helix in, money well spent.

:camorzr:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Where would you get an engine break for an 09 RZR and about what do they cost? Just got this machine and really noticed the lack of engine breaking last week. Dealer told me that was normal but if there is an after market solution, I am all ears. Thanks.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
I agree, 100%. Now that I've got good engine-braking, I can't imagine going back to operating without it! And, BTW, I still retained the two-way bearing in my Primary; it's just that my SLP clutch engages quickly and stays engaged to a MUCH lower RPM. Couldn't ask for more!

Cheers
How well does it work without the 1 way bearing? I thought you had to have them both to get the engine brake? I can walk much faster then what mine will idle going down hill. I am hoping the 1way bearing issues I read about are from people who jump, mud and run much harder then I do.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts