Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One thing I noticed that I didn't like much on my first RZR trail ride was the way the transmission behaved on steep downhills. Maybe it was my operational skills, but I couldn't figure out an alternate technique at the time.....I was coming down a steep trail section of bumpy bedrock and some dirt (about 150' in length). Once headed down (low gear), the machine started to pick up a bit too much speed and I put my foot on the brakes before dropping off a small lip. Well, as soon as I lift that slight pressure I had on the gas peddle the RZR disengaged it's clutch and wanted to take off down the hill in some kind of freewheel situation! Not a very nice feeling on steeps. I don't want to have to rely 100% on brakes in these conditions. Is there no engine braking with these machines? My XP850 would crawl down a hill with no throttle. I ended up keeping one foot on the gas and one on the brake. I must be dong something wrong. I'm heading out for a fun day of riding in a couple hours and would appreciate any pointers one could offer.

H

·
0 Posts
Nope you didn't do anything wrong..the RZR has no EBS...once the primary sheaves disengage the belt you are freewheeling...yeeee haaawww. It sucks!
I do the same thing...one foot on the throttle one on the brake.
Like anything else you can fix it(ie add EBS) with money.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Yep, takes some gettin use to givin a little gas to slow down. What is real fun is when you forget to stay on the gas, start free wheelin, then step on the gas, almost feels like you hit something.

H

·
0 Posts
Yeah...in low range when the belt re-engages it can be fun..don't hit your head on the steering wheel lol.
Seriously though it took some getting used to...I didn't think I could get used to it but I have gotten used to it. Rarely even think about it anymore,just instictively left foot brake when I need to.

·
Registered
196 Posts
One thing I noticed that I didn't like much on my first RZR trail ride was the way the transmission behaved on steep downhills. Maybe it was my operational skills, but I couldn't figure out an alternate technique at the time.....I was coming down a steep trail section of bumpy bedrock and some dirt (about 150' in length). Once headed down (low gear), the machine started to pick up a bit too much speed and I put my foot on the brakes before dropping off a small lip. Well, as soon as I lift that slight pressure I had on the gas peddle the RZR disengaged it's clutch and wanted to take off down the hill in some kind of freewheel situation! Not a very nice feeling on steeps. I don't want to have to rely 100% on brakes in these conditions. Is there no engine braking with these machines? My XP850 would crawl down a hill with no throttle. I ended up keeping one foot on the gas and one on the brake. I must be dong something wrong. I'm heading out for a fun day of riding in a couple hours and would appreciate any pointers one could offer.
Brakes are for sissys the RZR is made to go fast :rofl3::rofl3: You want to crawl around the bush you have to buy one of those ugly farm machines they sell.:rm_thumbdown:

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
I don't use low going down hills just up. Most of the time we go pretty fast.. If its a really rocky washed out trail we are on the brakes anyway.

H

·
0 Posts
Like everything else it depends on where you ride...where I ride if I just let 'er rip down a hill it wouldn't work out too well..:scared2: Hitting 12"+ diameter downed trees at 20 mph or getting smacked in the face with a limb at speed wouldn't be good. I use low alot...most of the hills going down around here have an up hill right after going down.
The lack of EBS is obviously not a factor when coasting at higer speeds..I doubt funride is having an issue on improved surface trails..creeping down something technical is where the issue comes up...

·
Lucky sucker!
214 Posts
I tend to like it the way it is, if I want to crawl down the hill, just modulate a little throttle in to keep it engaged. If I want to coast down, just let off and let it go...

·
Registered
302 Posts
The lack of EBS is a serious shortcoming with the rzr for mountain trail use. Low range, and learning the trick of bleeping the throttle and learning the sound of the engine at the rpm you're trying to maintain comes with practice, as does the one foot on the brake and one on the gas trick. On the plus side, you'll want to know the brake/gas trick when you do steep climbs as well. Then when the front end starts coming over you just apply a little brake action to bring it back down where it belongs. just letting off the gas isn't always quick enough.

·
Registered
28 Posts
When I purchased my RZR, I assumed it had the engine breaking like my Polaris 800 had (Front and back engagement.).
I hated it on my 800 in the winter because it would make you lose control going down a steep icey hill. (Scared the Sh*t outta me on more than one occasion.)
I was really happy it wasnt on my RZR.
I want to decide when it is time to brake or not.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Soapguy, I agree with you 100%. Auto engine breaking is not cool. Learning how to drive and operate you RZR is. Learning how to drive it is most of the fun, just seeing what you can do with what you have. If it was diffucult that would be another story but it is not. Just takes practice.

H

·
0 Posts
Soapguy, I agree with you 100%. Auto engine breaking is not cool. Learning how to drive and operate you RZR is. Learning how to drive it is most of the fun, just seeing what you can do with what you have. If it was diffucult that would be another story but it is not. Just takes practice.
No one said it was difficult? Agreed all it take is practice...and getting used to how it works. Coming from a machine with EBS it can feel uncomfortable at first. And we all have preferences..I PREFER EBS..can I live without it..sure..but do I like it..hell yeah.
As for EBS not being cool...well that is like most everything..an opinion. Since we are on the subject of learning how to drive a machine...some could argue that if you have EBS you need to learn how to give a machine with EBS a little throttle in icy/very slick conditions too keep it from sliding...just saying..:ride:

·
Registered
279 Posts
It all makes sense now.....I never new why it just coasted unless I hit the gas. I figured it was supposed to be the opposite, when I let off it should engine break. No big deal but it does get a bit jerky.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
The issue is what clutch setup is on your RZR, some have the EBS and some don't can't speak to which has what .
Fortunately for me I have had 6 Sportsmans, 2 were 400's with non-EBS clutches and the 500's (still have 2)do have the EBS clutches.
I could go much faster in the woods with the 400's as I was used to the nonEBS clutch, just dab the throttle if it drops out of engine breaking and it was good.
What also helped was putting on a belt from an 800(?) I believe it was herkier and held on longer.
I am happy my RZR does not have the EBS as I am used to the way it operates and mostly ride dunes.
If I were a crawler type the EBS clutch setup would be preferred I suppose.

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The lack of EBS is obviously not a factor when coasting at higer speeds..I doubt funride is having an issue on improved surface trails..creeping down something technical is where the issue comes up...
Exactly....I'm talking steeeep rock ledge. There is no "going fast" or you'll be all busted up or dead.

I'll just have to get used to driving down cliffs with my foot on the gas :)

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
When I purchased my RZR, I assumed it had the engine breaking like my Polaris 800 had (Front and back engagement.).
I hated it on my 800 in the winter because it would make you lose control going down a steep icey hill. (Scared the Sh*t outta me on more than one occasion.)
I was really happy it wasnt on my RZR.
I want to decide when it is time to brake or not.
I could see what you're saying. On my 850 I had control whether or not it would engauge (there was an on/off switch). In cases like you're talking about, one would turn it off. In places that are really steep (with good traction), it was really nice to have and made heavy duty descents a lot safer; especially if you have a passenger or 3. It didn't lock up and drag the rear end like you describe. I wish the RZR had it. It's a safety issue on mountain terrain IMO. If you don't want it to engage, then turn it off. The important time you need it, then turn it on. It's not something that you're forced to use ??? Maybe your EBS was different than mine.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yes, mine was a 2008 Sportsman 800 and didnt have the option to turn it off.
I didnt know the new one had that as an option. Cool!
In that case, that would be great on the RZR.....
The one option that we all know was stupid for Polaris to leave off was the e brake. I wonder what brain surgeon nixed that one....Idiot!

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The one option that we all know was stupid for Polaris to leave off was the e brake. I wonder what brain surgeon nixed that one....Idiot!
The legal team is my only thought. Can you imagine having a readily accessible hand operated e-brake to drift around corners. How much fun would that be to be flying into a corner, apply a tad bit-o-ebrake and slide around, then back on the gas. I bet they experimented with them and decided it would be too dangerous. Lots and lots of potential roll-overs from ebrake drifting at high speed. I used to do some crazy stuff with the ebrake in this old Nissan I had. Could get ugly fast with an RZR :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Soapguy, I agree with ...some could argue that if you have EBS you need to learn how to give a machine with EBS a little throttle in icy/very slick conditions too keep it from sliding...just saying..:ride:
Ya....tried that....didnt work well. Maybe on some small hills, but where we ATV, ya aint going to give throttle on a steep icy incline.....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts