Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok another issue with this thing.
While changing out the Voltage Regulator one of the bolt snapped off the starter relay.

Anyways my dad had a relay sitting around from his sportsmen 500 and it looked like it would he compatible so I put that on for the mean time.

Everything worked fine. I went fle a ride and towards the end of the ride my machine sputtered and died on me.

I tried to start it back up and got a single click from the relay. I noticed the two nuts were loose as well on the relay. I tightened them up, same thing. Checked fuses all good. Tried to jump the solenoid, nothing.

I'm thinking starter, but didnt think the starter going bad would kill the machine on the spot?

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Use Polaris parts listing, look up part # for the 500 sportsman solenoid then the same for your machine. Just because they look alike and bolt up does mean they are the same internal and load rating. Suspect with all the loose wires the battery went dead from lack of charge. Check the battery voltage, get it fully charged. Install the correct solenoid and try again. Make sure the battery is getting charged. Should have 14.5 or so amps into battery.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmmm those were readings I was getting right after changing the VR. With a fully charged battery and only idling.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Hmmm those were readings I was getting right after changing the VR. With a fully charged battery and only idling.
That suggest the regulator may be bad. But first make sure all the connections are tight. Resistance in the wrong spot could cause high readings.

Jump to the starter terminal to see if the starter spins the engine. If no spin, starter bad.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok so I read the voltage at the solenoid. Reading 12.8 on battery side. Nothing on starter side, tried starting, same.

Tried jumping the starter. Nothing.

It seems like my solenoid and starter both went at the same time.

Boggles my mind, and it killed my machine dead in its tracks too on the trail.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
No ideal how your machine is wired, some send power through the solenoid to the coils. Replace starter and solenoid with correct one, suspect it will start right up. Good inexpensive starters are on eBay, believe that is what I have read on this forum. Maybe Amazon as well. Good luck.

·
Registered
42 Posts
To me this reads like you are missing a bad connection at one of the eyelets in the starting and charging circuit. Double check all of them. Keep in mind that a multimeter can show voltage that wont power a load. Use a test light or a loading meter to check your circuits for power.

·
Premium Member
7,418 Posts
Try throwing a set of jumper cables on it; drag machine and battery (or just battery) over to Autozone or O'Reilly for a free battery capacity check.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did try boosting the machine. Also fully charged the battery on trickle charger. Nothing.
The battery is only a couple months old as well (odyssey pc925)
I tried jumping the starter with a boost as well. Nothing.

·
Premium Member
7,418 Posts
Sent you PM.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts