Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2019 Turbo S 4 seater, just over 6 months old. Accelerated kinda hard off the line and instantly heard a loud boom, knocked the heat shield panel right off that is in between the back seat, buddies on another rzr told me there was a fire in that area, started smoking pretty bad so I shut it off. Realized the breathing vent on the left had melted a little, the mesh was all shrink-ed up, im assuming from the fire. Turned it back on, everything sounds fine until i start moving. It sounds like a blown transmission, every wheel rotation there is a clanking noise. I've read that the explosion coincides with breaking the belt but I was still able to drive it slowly and run it up and down a flat bed without needing help. Im thinking transmission, but cant be sure since it went up a trailer with ease. Any ideas or anyone had this issue?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2019 Turbo S 4 seater, just over 6 months old. Accelerated kinda hard off the line and instantly heard a loud boom, knocked the heat shield panel right off that is in between the back seat, buddies on another rzr told me there was a fire in that area, started smoking pretty bad so I shut it off. Realized the breathing vent on the left had melted a little, the mesh was all shrink-ed up, im assuming from the fire. Turned it back on, everything sounds fine until i start moving. It sounds like a blown transmission, every wheel rotation there is a clanking noise. I've read that the explosion coincides with breaking the belt but I was still able to drive it slowly and run it up and down a flat bed without needing help. Im thinking transmission, but cant be sure since it went up a trailer with ease. Any ideas or anyone had this issue?
Had the exact same thing happen, although no sign of fire. The belt had started to come apart but I was able to limp back and load on the trailer. But there was a terrible clunking noise when I'd move the RZR. I thought for sure I had blown up the trans or transfer case. But to check, I removed the belt and rolled the car while in gear and all sounded good. No clunking noises. So I rebuilt the clutches replacing all the wear parts, replaced the belt and put it back together. No clunking noise and purrs like a kitten. Was never really able to identify the clunking noise, but it was something worn in the clutch that was letting the bad belt slip and grab causing the noise.

As an aside, I did find out you can buy all the small wear parts in the clutch assemblies and replace them at a somewhat lower cost than a complete new unit. Hardest part is removing the primary clutch. What a pain. Yes, I have the correct tool. I also learned a lot about getting the 2 clutch assemblies lined up for maximum clutch and belt life. I also had over 2000 miles of desert riding when I went went through all this. So I got pretty decent clutch wear given that my car gets run hard with 32 inch tires.

In retrospect, I was starting to lose belts way too fast before this happened. I suspect that the clutch getting worn was causing the belts to wear much faster than with a properly lined up clutch with all new parts in it.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
7,281 Posts
My money's on clutching. Call @Hunterworks with a recording of the noise, if possible.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts