Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
RZR Aid just recently released a very affordable suspension spring option for the 900S/1000S. Only a few people have used these kits. And they seem to say it completely transformed their RZRs. One made the comment to me on FB that you would be wasting your money for revalving as compared to this $130 upgrade. Sounds too good to be true. But you never know.
900s 9004 1000s Tender Spring Swap - Rzr Aid

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I would love to hear from someone who has done this. It would definitely help, but it would not compare to new springs. You would still be stuck with completely wrong spring rates. But, depending on riding style, this could really make the ride better at slower speeds. Seems like moving an additional spring to the front would compound the already too soft ride...hmmm. Again, would love to hear from someone who's done it and what their riding style is. Anything has to be an improvement.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just ordered a set of bandit springs for my 900s and after seeing this I decided to move my oem tenders to the front on top of the new bandit springs

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would love to hear from someone who has done this. It would definitely help, but it would not compare to new springs. You would still be stuck with completely wrong spring rates. But, depending on riding style, this could really make the ride better at slower speeds. Seems like moving an additional spring to the front would compound the already too soft ride...hmmm. Again, would love to hear from someone who's done it and what their riding style is. Anything has to be an improvement.
I agree 100%. If you put rear tender on front main spring, you get a initial spring rate of around 75 or so till coil bind, then the remaining 140 kicks in. This sounds incredibly soft. And to top that off, they're getting back to stock ride height, which is telling me this setup is requiring a ton of preload. On the rear, I think they're putting like a 4 to 6" 300 - 400lb tender to replace the 175. Now this actually makes a little more sense. From the complaints I hear on the 900, its always the front springs that people seem to have difficulty with coming up with their own spring replacement choice. I just find it hard to believe that this $130 kit does the wonders like these guys say it does. I hope it works for them. :doubt:

·
Premium Member
10,041 Posts
It will change your ride but most people will not be satisfied, same thing was done on the 1k, most people tried including myself, ended up buying shocks down the road.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just don't see a $130 kit outdoing a full blown revalve, resprung $1400 setup kind of like this one ImageUploadedByRZRForums.net1480657464.788125.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
I like the rzr aid guy and all, and certainly appreciate anyone trying to offer a budget upgrade, but anyone suggesting to move the rear tenders to the front on a 900S is suspect. It's absolute garbage, and I say that because I tried it. I put the rear tender on top of a 900 4 215# spring and it was WAY too soft. It also took a ton of preload to get any ride height. Putting that tender on top of the stock 140# spring is going to suck even more. This spring setup won't work for anyone that drives faster than 20 mph.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I like the rzr aid guy and all, and certainly appreciate anyone trying to offer a budget upgrade, but anyone suggesting to move the rear tenders to the front on a 900S is suspect. It's absolute garbage, and I say that because I tried it. I put the rear tender on top of a 900 4 215# spring and it was WAY too soft. It also took a ton of preload to get any ride height. Putting that tender on top of the stock 140# spring is going to suck even more. This spring setup won't work for anyone that drives faster than 20 mph.

On the RZR Krazy page on Facebook , a handful of guys on there say it's the greatest thing ever to happen to a 900 period. Lars, I've seen some of your posts on here. And your kind of like me, you've swapped springs and done your fair share of tinkering on these shocks. The numbers don't add up on the Aid kit. A tender replacement on the back and all new springs up front makes more sense. A spring swap on the 1000xp works, even though it's not perfect. But on a 900, the whole swapping deal just don't cut it.

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
I saw the discussion on FB. I almost replied but didn't. People seem to be cult like on there and I didn't feel like getting into an argument. I guess if people are actually happy with that setup then they're either convincing themselves of that because everyone loves a successful budget mod, or they just don't drive like I like to.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Adding a different tender spring on the back won't change the fact that the stock springs are made of inferior metals. The stock springs will keep collapsing as one adds more preload to keep the ride height. So unless you change them out the machine will keep dropping down in ride height. This "aid" is a poor patch at best and the real solution is ALL new springs IMHO.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I saw the discussion on FB. I almost replied but didn't. People seem to be cult like on there and I didn't feel like getting into an argument. I guess if people are actually happy with that setup then they're either convincing themselves of that because everyone loves a successful budget mod, or they just don't drive like I like to.

Most of those guys as well as me ride in Wva, tenn, and Kentucky. Yes they are a cult LOL. Bunch of ole hard headed Rednecks. There is no way this Aid setup would work in them rough rocky trails in WV. Like I say , it maybe ok, but I would rather see enthusiasts spend to $250 to $500 on something that works rather than go cheap and pay the price down the road

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I agree 100%. If you put rear tender on front main spring, you get a initial spring rate of around 75 or so till coil bind, then the remaining 140 kicks in. This sounds incredibly soft. And to top that off, they're getting back to stock ride height, which is telling me this setup is requiring a ton of preload. On the rear, I think they're putting like a 4 to 6" 300 - 400lb tender to replace the 175. Now this actually makes a little more sense. From the complaints I hear on the 900, its always the front springs that people seem to have difficulty with coming up with their own spring replacement choice. I just find it hard to believe that this $130 kit does the wonders like these guys say it does. I hope it works for them. :doubt:
My biggest issue were the rear springs, once the tender collapsed the main was just too stiff, every inch of the Ozark trails I ride was like a kidney punch. Now, what I didn't realize at the time was just how bad the fronts were, which I had attempted to compensate for the squishy too soft feel by adjusting my shocks. I understand being on a tight budget, so a nice low cost spring solution is great in theory. In reality, I think that not replacing the springs will just cost you in the long run. I knew the factory springs were terrible, I just didn't understand exactly how bad they were until I rode with the new springs. It is hard to explain just how much this one change to the machine will improve the riding experience. I was able to take my shocks down to zero clicks front and rear and still had a very nice controlled ride, I had tried that with the stock springs and it was very sketchy. I have since added some clicks to accommodate my riding style, but nothing like the factory set up. IMO, save your pennies and replace the springs, you will not regret it.

I would still like to hear from someone who’s done this change. An objective review.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The thing is you don't have to spend $500 but you got to spend more than $150. I've seen a few guys go on SummitRacing and get a pair of QA1 175-350 progressive rate springs for around $110 a pair for front and it will work great . And get a pair of 250-350 lb 6" tender springs for the rear , which makes a good replacement. All of this for under $250 for front and back and your back to stock ride height with a better ride and handling. While it may not be perfect, it will more legit than swapping crappy factory springs.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
The thing is you don't have to spend $500 but you got to spend more than $150. I've seen a few guys go on SummitRacing and get a pair of QA1 175-350 progressive rate springs for around $110 a pair for front and it will work great . And get a pair of 250-350 lb 6" tender springs for the rear , which makes a good replacement. All of this for under $250 for front and back and your back to stock ride height with a better ride and handling. While it may not be perfect, it will more legit than swapping crappy factory springs.
I think this is exactly what some people are looking for, except with p/n's and other details. I might have tried the Summit spring route but I had zero clue about spring rates and what to purchase. Because I didn't know enough to build my own kit, I had to rely on other information, which ended up being kits that were known to work. I went with R/T's because of this research. I think a topic like "My Summit Spring experience for S" or "Low cost spring fix for S" would get some S owners excited. Let's face it, all S owners need new springs, not all need the best kit or some can’t justify even a low cost kit. I actually like the low cost solution in this thread, except for moving the factory rear tender to the front.

·
Registered
380 Posts
We have been very happy with Bandit replacement springs. Tested them for over 1000 miles of extreme Rocky Mountain terrain. They have not lost any ride height since I set them up. I would say that they are very good value for the price. $349.

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
I think this is exactly what some people are looking for, except with p/n's and other details. I might have tried the Summit spring route but I had zero clue about spring rates and what to purchase. Because I didn't know enough to build my own kit, I had to rely on other information, which ended up being kits that were known to work. I went with R/T's because of this research. I think a topic like "My Summit Spring experience for S" or "Low cost spring fix for S" would get some S owners excited. Let's face it, all S owners need new springs, not all need the best kit or some can’t justify even a low cost kit. I actually like the low cost solution in this thread, except for moving the factory rear tender to the front.
If I was on a budget and starting over, I'd buy the QA1 springs for the front. Based on my discussions with buckeyefarmboy, they work great and ride well. Bandit is a great budget setup to get a quality spring. They use a 225 front spring, though. I felt like my 215's were a little stiff. You don't want much softer, though. I have 3" 360's on top of the 215's right now. Since I have crossover rings to use, I'll likely be starting with a 300 lower and and around a 450 upper when I get around to ordering 2.5" springs. Here's a thread on the QA1's if you didn't already find it.

http://www.rzrforums.net/rzr-s-900/279337-new-front-qa1-175-350-springs-success-so-far.html

As for the rear, I'm not sold on the 6" tender on top of the factory 350# lower. Has anyone really done this and proved it worked? People do it and they think that because they got their ride height back and the new tender isn't crushed that it works and is the best thing ever. Negative. There is a fine line on getting spring rates correct when you're not using a crossover ring such that you don't use too much or too little of the shock stroke to coil bind the upper spring.

If I was going to still play with it, I'd be trying something like a 3" long 500# upper spring.

I think the coolest budget thing I saw was the mod ecorzr did where he heated up thin wall pvc to fit over the shock body, behind the upper spring, to act as a non adjustable crossover ring. I don't know if it's holding up, and I can see it taking a few tries to get it the right length, but it was a cool idea for a budget dual rate setup where you don't have to worry about perfecting spring rates to get the upper to coil bind that I've seen. Page 3 of this thread.

http://www.rzrforums.net/rzr-s-900/269001-eibach-tender-springs.html

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
We have been very happy with Bandit replacement springs. Tested them for over 1000 miles of extreme Rocky Mountain terrain. They have not lost any ride height since I set them up. I would say that they are very good value for the price. $349.
That's awesome. Hey, there are a couple threads on the forum specifically looking for this kind of Bandit Spring feedback. I think more people might jump on this low cost option if they knew more about them. I went R/T because I had found so much positive feedback, I might have went Bandit if I would have had more info on them. I think most people would pony up $350 for sure, if they only knew what it would do for them.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
If I was on a budget and starting over, I'd buy the QA1 springs for the front. Based on my discussions with buckeyefarmboy, they work great and ride well. Bandit is a great budget setup to get a quality spring. They use a 225 front spring, though. I felt like my 215's were a little stiff. You don't want much softer, though. I have 3" 360's on top of the 215's right now. Since I have crossover rings to use, I'll likely be starting with a 300 lower and and around a 450 upper when I get around to ordering 2.5" springs. Here's a thread on the QA1's if you didn't already find it.

http://www.rzrforums.net/rzr-s-900/279337-new-front-qa1-175-350-springs-success-so-far.html

As for the rear, I'm not sold on the 6" tender on top of the factory 350# lower. Has anyone really done this and proved it worked? People do it and they think that because they got their ride height back and the new tender isn't crushed that it works and is the best thing ever. Negative. There is a fine line on getting spring rates correct when you're not using a crossover ring such that you don't use too much or too little of the shock stroke to coil bind the upper spring.

If I was going to still play with it, I'd be trying something like a 3" long 500# upper spring.

I think the coolest budget thing I saw was the mod ecorzr did where he heated up thin wall pvc to fit over the shock body, behind the upper spring, to act as a non adjustable crossover ring. I don't know if it's holding up, and I can see it taking a few tries to get it the right length, but it was a cool idea for a budget dual rate setup where you don't have to worry about perfecting spring rates to get the upper to coil bind that I've seen. Page 3 of this thread.

http://www.rzrforums.net/rzr-s-900/269001-eibach-tender-springs.html
Wow, thanks. That information is golden.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts