Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We Traveled to TN from Atlanta to go to Coal Creek (WinRock) ATV, We were in the 2nd day and Engine just kept dying. Then after a Bit the CHECK ENGINE light cam on. I was reading it might be the TPS. I had Fresh gas in the Razer and even gave it a Little Fuel additive. I am scratching my head. I really don't want to take it to dealer as I do most of the work on it myself. It has new plugs also in it.

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
I'd do an inspection of your air intake system first. Might have gotten dirt in the system somewhere. That will affect a lot of things in a hurry.

Pirate

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took the Airbox a part and cleaned the Map sensor and Throttle body. Be riding in VERY DUSTY area's. Seems to be running better.

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
gwalt,

Did you find anything in the outlet of the throttle body and on in to the intake valves? Thats where the real damage starts as the injectors mix gas with the dust and the mud gets into the cylinders and raises havoc!!!

Not bad to see dust in the airbox, so long as its outside of the filter. If you found dust around the map sensor...that's not a good thing.

Pirate

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope did not see any big buildup. I did not remove the throttle body , just cleaned it with a Throttle body spray cleaner. I thought I had a Good UNI filter but looking for another option.

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
gwalt,

Was the UNI filter just an element in the Polaris air box?

I tried a Dragon Fire Racing canister, works great but takes up too much room under the bed. Using a Vent Racing ie Donaldson canister now, but am going to move it up to the bed this winter. Will make checking and changing the filters a whole lot easier.

I like the Donaldson as it uses a paper primary filter and a foam safety filter. Just like my Bobcat loader and excavator....I like that!!!

Pirate

·
Registered
90 Posts
When it cools down, will it start and run okay for awhile??? If so it very likely could be the "CPS" (crank position sensor).

·
Banned
904 Posts
As crazy as this sounds, I had a similiar problem on my Labor Day weekend. Ran through a deep water/mud hole about mid day (had been running fine), and about 15 mins after the hole it died. Started it up, ran really bad and then died again and would not start. It would crank over, but not fire. Took it to camp and trouble shot it for damn near 6 hours. I pulled everything I could apart and put new plugs in it. Still wouldnt do anything, so I took it to the "on site" mechanic who knew less than me. With his tools, we took everything apart but the motor. Still couldnt find anything wrong. He reached over to check the battery and it was a damn loose negative cable......Might be worth checking...

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Wren,

Funny you mention your Labor Day fun. Same here. Voltage starting getting weird, engine running very rough, fortunately we only had to limp about five miles to the truck.

That was Monday, got home Tuesday and ordered a new voltage regulator. Took the machine to the car wash and stopped by NAPA to see if the battery tested OK. Gads, the NAPA guy found that the cable between the battery and the system had somehow slipped off the bolt when I installed a TruGel battery in March. I put it on the battery connection bolt last...Winch first, then three fused accessory wires, then the system cable. It was pinched under the other wires so well that it worked from March to September then worked its way out and phooey!!!

I put the cable on the bolt, charged the battery and voila...all is good. Sigh....

Pirate

1 - 9 of 9 Posts