Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started my rzr 800 after a top end rebuild and after idling and slight reving for 5-10 minutes, milky oil shoots out of the rebreather tube on the valve cover. There is no smoke coming from engine and it runs fine. Oil levels might be a little high. It is spraying out of the end of the tube and where it starts. Any ideas?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2020 900 Trail Fox Edition
1,725 Posts
welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. milky oil is oil with water in it. I think the first thing I would do is drain and change the oil making sure the correct amount is in the engine and go from there. JMHO

·
Registered
2020 Polaris RZR Pro XP Premium
2,723 Posts
Is it a yellowy or whiter shade of milky, or is it chocolate milk colored?

Lighter colored indicates moisture buildup from condensation. Was it cold out when you started the engine? It will sweat in colder weather when it is first started. Then add to your possibility of oil level being too high, that would push it out.

Correct oil level is critical to engine life. Too much oil can be just as bad as not enough oil. Your top priority should be that oil level. Then see if it continues to push out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Could it be just excess coolant from the rebuild of do you think it's something else like a head gasket. I just have a hard time believing that it's a head gasket after I just rebuilt it. Also why would coolant spray out.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Coolant would spray out because it's not as viscous as oil I would think. There is a seal between the water pump and the oil pump (driven by same shaft) and that might be leaking coolant into the oil. Someone correct me if I'm wrong? I believe you could put some anti-freeze dye in the coolant, get those fancy glasses, and take off the oil filter for a few moments with the engine running to see if coolant is shooting out of where the oil filter screws in? If it is that seal you still have to take the engine apart again... did you use a polaris OEM head gasket AND clean up the mating surfaces? You could also take the valve cover off (again, for a MOMENT), and see if you can see where the coolant is spurting from. Wear safety glasses :) Good luck.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Coolant would spray out because it's not as viscous as oil I would think. There is a seal between the water pump and the oil pump (driven by same shaft) and that might be leaking coolant into the oil. Someone correct me if I'm wrong? I believe you could put some anti-freeze dye in the coolant, get those fancy glasses, and take off the oil filter for a few moments with the engine running to see if coolant is shooting out of where the oil filter screws in? If it is that seal you still have to take the engine apart again... did you use a polaris OEM head gasket AND clean up the mating surfaces? You could also take the valve cover off (again, for a MOMENT), and see if you can see where the coolant is spurting from. Wear safety glasses :) Good luck.
If it is the water pump seal, check out this thread: Leaking Coolant in Oil

Within the thread there is a link to another thread on replacing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Polaris RZR Pro XP Premium
2,723 Posts
That looks nothing like what I was expecting. Definitely not blown head gasket esque at all. Looks like a very small amount of water in the oil. Probably just remnants from the rebuild. As long as it is still pourable liquid and not thicker pudding like consistency.

I would change the oil, run it for a few minutes and check it again. You may have to change it a couple times to clear it all up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I had previously checked the weep hole and unclogged mud and debris by poking the hole with a drill bit. No apparent water or oil coming from weep hole (with engine off or at idle). If it’s a bad water pump seal, can someone explain how pressurized gushing water could get all the way up into the valve cover. What is the path it would take?

someone earlier said it doesn’t sound like a head gasket, but could it be? It’s time and $$ to replace the head gasket (again). When I rebuilt, I had the head refurbished by nFLOW and also purchased new cylinder jug and pistons from nFLOW. I used their gasket kit. I did NOT have the alignment dowels between cylinder head (did not come back from nFLOW with them)—just did the best alignment of the two pieces and gasket by hand.

·
Registered
48 Posts

There is a path along part 5 for water to go into the oil. I'd bet on head gasket if it is gushing out.

I did NOT have the alignment dowels
Those are kind of important. If they could be omitted then Polaris most certainly would have omitted them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts