Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for info to see if anybody has done a clutch kit for the dunes for their 4. I'm trying to save money without going to a complete clutch system. I'm wondering who had good results with a kit out there that does not cost $500 or more dollars..

Thanks for looking
Chop.

·
aka: Bad Influence
929 Posts
Yep I sure did and Fullerton had a setup for me that works with the stock motor and paddles. It is made by epi.

·
929 Posts
it really made a difference when trail riding at little sahara and also climbing hills from a short run start. you will be impressed but remember the stall rpm will go up 700-1000 rpm before it engages. also this will keep your motor at 6000 rpm all the time. it made a huge difference i highly recommend doing the clutch kit. it was only like 150-200 bucks and took me about an hour to put it in. i had to make a tool to change the spring in the secondary clutch but it was hard.

if you trail ride in the trees on dirt i would recommend putting the stock clutch back in and then install the sand clutch for the dunes. This is what i do since it only takes me about an hour to change it all out.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
I got the same kit (I think) from EPI. I called them up a few weeks ago and asked for something that would give me a bit more pull in the sand. It works. But like Steve said, the clutch engages higher and seems to holds gears longer. It works though, just takes a bit getting use to, espicially when starting out.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got the same kit (I think) from EPI. I called them up a few weeks ago and asked for something that would give me a bit more pull in the sand. It works. But like Steve said, the clutch engages higher and seems to holds gears longer. It works though, just takes a bit getting use to, espicially when starting out.
When you say "It works though, just takes a bit getting use to, espicially when starting out." Can you explain further?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Its the engagement point. The rpms are raised about 700rpms before the clutch actually engages. This makes it a bit jerky till you get use to it. Don't notice it as much on sand if you just floor it on take off.

Honestly, I know I told my wife no turbo/big bore on this one, but I really think it needs a bit more power.

·
929 Posts
i agree, the "getting used to part" is in reference to how it engages. when you are at slow speeds the engine rpm will be higher before it starts moving the car. the only time i notice it is when loading into the camper or when moving around in slow speeds in the driveway. Once you are in the sand you just floor it anyway and then it doesnt matter. On a good note the higher stall speed means that it comes off the corners quicker and also when running the bowls it responds quicker when you snap the throttle open.

As for turbo i just cant see myself doing that for the money. I know it would be nice to have more power but i dont think its worth the hassle and extra maintenance that come with it. I know that they have robust systems out there but with more power comes more issues regardless.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
i agree, the "getting used to part" is in reference to how it engages. when you are at slow speeds the engine rpm will be higher before it starts moving the car. the only time i notice it is when loading into the camper or when moving around in slow speeds in the driveway. Once you are in the sand you just floor it anyway and then it doesnt matter. On a good note the higher stall speed means that it comes off the corners quicker and also when running the bowls it responds quicker when you snap the throttle open.

As for turbo i just cant see myself doing that for the money. I know it would be nice to have more power but i dont think its worth the hassle and extra maintenance that come with it. I know that they have robust systems out there but with more power comes more issues regardless.

I don't know. I think you need to take a closer look at the turbos that are out there. The secret to having a hassle free system is to keep your boost under control. See if you can find someone with a boost rzr to go for a ride. It's a totally different machine. Speaking of power, I really hope polaris releases a machine with a bigger motor to start with.

Heck even a big bore is a vast improvement. I got to watch franks over the 4th at st. anthony. His did great and it's pushing alot of weight.

·
929 Posts
i drove a 2 seater last weekend and wasnt that impressed for my liking. the other side is money. bank account is empty. LOL if i wanted one it would be the aero charger for sure.

sorry forthe thread jack.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts