Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
◄►STARS & STRIPES◄►
3,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Down the mountain he goes......Lets off the gas and boom crackle crackle boom boom pop?? every time. Just bought it for him, its been sitting for a week while I installed his new roof, half windshield, skid plate, Wheel spacers ect.. He kept begging me for a ride so I let him (still getting ready to install snorkel and filter kit since it doesnt come with one???) but my better judgement said the mountain road is clear, no dust, a few minutes wont hurt. Its got great performance, he has wonderful control for a 9 year old, just dont get all that backfireing???

I read 19+ back threads in the rzr170 section and didnt come acreoss this complaint yet? normal...goes away? suggestions?

·
◄►STARS & STRIPES◄►
3,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What elevation are you at? Sounds like it needs larger idle jet. That fixed ours.
Actually not that high.. we are 97 feet above sea level @ the base of the mountain were I live and we drive up to an elevation of 695ft in 1/2 mile..its very steep! & concave so our house is built as high as you can on a very steep ledge, but not all that high? But a view like this in Alaska whether its summer or winter will take your breath away!

·
Registered
152 Posts
It does sound more like jettting or air fuel mixture. When looking at the carb from the back of the 170 there is a regular adjusment screw which is idle and just to the left of that is a brass screw that is in the shape of a D, might be upside down or on its side, but that is the air fuel mixture screw. If thats not it I would be talking to the dealer about it, and hope you have a good dealer. If you have the new air system and the factory did not rejet the carb, then jetting could be your problem.

·
◄►STARS & STRIPES◄►
3,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It does sound more like jettting or air fuel mixture. When looking at the carb from the back of the 170 there is a regular adjusment screw which is idle and just to the left of that is a brass screw that is in the shape of a D, might be upside down or on its side, but that is the air fuel mixture screw. If thats not it I would be talking to the dealer about it, and hope you have a good dealer. If you have the new air system and the factory did not rejet the carb, then jetting could be your problem.
AMAZING !!! THANK YOU X4 this is now FIXED

THREAD CLOSED!! THX ALL!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Ours is doing the same thing, just assumed it was normal. What fixed this backfire Michael? Also, what size jets do these take and where can you order them?

·
◄►STARS & STRIPES◄►
3,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ours is doing the same thing, just assumed it was normal. What fixed this backfire Michael? Also, what size jets do these take and where can you order them?
I messed with the adjustment screw on the carb like mentioned by Shalamara, also I finished installing his Snorkel kit & Filter (sealed it properly).

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had the same problem and called a local Polaris dealer and they said to tighten the free-play limiter. It worked for me. Hope this will help you. Look in the owners manual to see how.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts