Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my 2019 XP4 Turbo Velocity for about a month. It has been driven twice, less than 10 hours. Washed after riding and garage kept. Should I have worn paint and rust on the trailing arms already? Seems waaay too soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
Takes no time at on on the right abrasive material. Looks like road rash. Good news can be very easy touched up with a shake can of paint until next time. It is very similar to sand blasting what the tires can throw out. Once bare and a good washing the rust is automatic and very quick.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
More rust on my 2019 after 2 rides than my 2013 with many more hours. Odd.

·
Premium Member
989 Posts
that's no surprise there, that's a wear area getting blasted by sand, rocks, and whatever other material you ride across. I wouldn't blame that on Polaris and would consider that normal maintenance. Now if it was an area not getting hit with rocks and dirt that was showing rust, I would be pissed. Maybe try coating those rear arms in some Bedliner type material, however no idea if that can hold up either.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
1st thing I did to my Turbo S was add trailing arm rock guards. The paint on the trailing arms and radius rods gets punished.

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
There are several kinds of rock quads one can purchase to avoid that problem. My 13 XP has more problems then either our 17 XP or 18 XPT. Where both years of your 4 place? The arm on the 4 place is sure different the the 2 seater. Powered coat would not stand up much longer.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I also had the same issue and it was driving me crazy! I added the ModQuad trailing arm guards, the Mudbuster trailing arm protection guards, and I wrapped the radius rods in the 3M clear paint protection vinyl. All have done their job very well in the year and a half they have been on. No more rock chips and rust!

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
trailing arm guards from UTV Inc.
trailing arm guards from mudbusters
radius rod rollers from wolfsnout on the top and bottom rods

all in an attempt to keep the sand blasting to a minimum

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It sure makes me glad I didn't buy a blue Turbo S. I would cry if that beautiful paint got a small scuff on it. Glad to have black - easy to match for a quick spray.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Holy smokes it's a stupid utv for off road and will be worth nothing down the road. It's not like my hot rods/ classic cars that have staying power as far as worth, value and coolness factor. That is one thing I enjoy about my rzr who cares about chips the point is to drive and have fun with as it will one day be a used up piece of junk. Do I intentionally tear stuff up? Of course not. On the other hand what do you think you are protecting? A future classic?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am simply concerned about longer term value and reliability. Nobody likes the look of a rusty POS if I decide to upgrade in a couple years. It is also valid to ask if perhaps my RZR has a QC problem. Again, my 2013, which I realize is a 900 and not a Turbo so perhaps less wheels sling and kick of sand, doesn’t have rust in those spots after 6 years, so I thought there was a problem.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I am simply concerned about longer term value and reliability. Nobody likes the look of a rusty POS if I decide to upgrade in a couple years. It is also valid to ask if perhaps my RZR has a QC problem. Again, my 2013, which I realize is a 900 and not a Turbo so perhaps less wheels sling and kick of sand, doesn’t have rust in those spots after 6 years, so I thought there was a problem.

Reliability??? For surface rust on a control arm? Long term value? How long? There is no long term value, they will eventually be used up and worth nothing. It's a off road vehicle with frame and suspension that has been stamped out and welded with what looks like the experience of a third day welder. There is nothing fancy or appealing to the eye under the plastic. Maintain and enjoy. ..

·
Registered
41 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Read this!! This was my solution to the same problem. Hope it helps.

https://www.rzrforums.net/showthread.php?p=5925610

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Where did you get the flaps?
I got them at oriellys, made by roadsport,they come in 3 different sizes labeled as A,B,C. I got the C size about 8"x14" and trimmed them a bit

Thanks, will do. What did you use for mounting?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Where did you get the flaps?
I got them at oriellys, made by roadsport,they come in 3 different sizes labeled as A,B,C. I got the C size about 8"x14" and trimmed them a bit

Thanks, will do. What did you use for mounting?
After trimming,I sandwiched between wheel plastic and body plastic with two stainless bolts(removed two plastic retainers and installed bolts)they are about 5" off the ground.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Reliability??? For surface rust on a control arm? Long term value? How long? There is no long term value, they will eventually be used up and worth nothing. It's a off road vehicle with frame and suspension that has been stamped out and welded with what looks like the experience of a third day welder. There is nothing fancy or appealing to the eye under the plastic. Maintain and enjoy. ..

I hear ya. Spray sand/dirt/mud off it. Let it dry, soak it in WD40. Repeat after next ride. Might try a can of that spray can bed-liner, but likely end up back in same situation after a few rides. Those spiffy guards are neat, but just more money to throw at it and they could still get broken by a rock or large stick.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts