Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, I want to add relays/ fuses under the hood area of rzr 800. I noticed a power block that the winch is wired to on the firewall. Would it be okay to pull power from here and run wire to the compartment under the hood area? It is so close, sure would be convenient.

·
Registered
'18 XPT
1,941 Posts
As a general statement = Yes. I would not pull a ton of power and use the winch at the same time, but otherwise...

If you want to know more we need to know what winch you have, it's amperage rating, what you plan on doing, that amp rating, etc.

Reactions: nick7269

·
Registered
910 Posts
what dafish said along with year, make, and model of vehicle.

·
Registered
Polaris 2020 RZR S 1000
329 Posts
Weather you use that for power or not. You should clean the terminal with all the rust on it. It appears to be red, just below the blue cable. Rust and 12v do not work well together.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
2010 Rzr 800s, Polaris 3500 wench (was just out there with flash light trying to find model#), not sure what it pulls in amps just yet. I will dig further tomorrow.
I'm planning on wiring up led lights. Not sure exactly what they pull because they came with the machine. They are much smaller than what you see these days, maybe 12" wide front and rear. Want to add a dome light. Not even adding bluetooth radio to it. Nothing crazy at all, I just wanted to make sure there was not some reason I didn't think of to pull power from that block.
thank you

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh yeah, I will clean the rust up and add some dialectic grease once I remove the nuts. It's a trail machine on the east coast that has seen a lot of moister over the years. It has some spots of rust whenever you remove a cover. Just impossible to stay out of the mud and water when on the trails even when you want to.
thank you

·
Registered
Polaris 2020 RZR S 1000
329 Posts
2010 Rzr 800s, Polaris 3500 wench (was just out there with flash light trying to find model#), not sure what it pulls in amps just yet. I will dig further tomorrow.
I'm planning on wiring up led lights. Not sure exactly what they pull because they came with the machine. They are much smaller than what you see these days, maybe 12" wide front and rear. Want to add a dome light. Not even adding bluetooth radio to it. Nothing crazy at all, I just wanted to make sure there was not some reason I didn't think of to pull power from that block.
thank you
I suspect the winch will draw close to 100+ amps when under a heavy pull.

·
Registered
'18 XPT
1,941 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, this evening after work I got to digging around in the garage and found some 8 gauge copper wire. It was supposed to be for an amp that never got installed. I decided to just stop being lazy and run that wire to be on the safe side. I promise I will clean the rust off as mentioned before!
Thank you for the reply

·
Registered
'18 XPT
1,941 Posts
Please - Put a fuse as close to the battery as you can. Why?

:)

·
Registered
Polaris 2020 RZR S 1000
329 Posts
Please - Put a fuse as close to the battery as you can. Why?

View attachment 670708

:)
The closer the fuse is to the battery is to protect the long cable after the fuse. My 100 amp circuit breaker is about one foot from the battery. Only the short cable (wired to the lower connector on the circuit breaker in the photo below) is left unprotected. Correctly wired away from any metal is the only protection on the cable. But that shouldn't be an issue.

The longer cable leading from the circuit breaker goes to my fuse block mounted above the radiator.

·
Registered
'18 XPT
1,941 Posts
EricB:

It was a rhetorical question sir. You maybe noticed that attachment?

BTW, you might consider adding something rubber, or some molding, at the steel break where the red power lead passes over on it's way to the fuse. Looks nicely done though!

Reactions: EricB

·
Registered
Polaris 2020 RZR S 1000
329 Posts
EricB:

It was a rhetorical question sir. You maybe noticed that attachment?

BTW, you might consider adding something rubber, or some molding, at the steel break where the red power lead passes over on it's way to the fuse. Looks nicely done though!
Since that photo I have added isolation there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts