Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Excuse my ignorance on the subject but I'm new to using headsets. I have a RRP696 / RDM-DB / H22 Headset setup. Using bluetooth music from my tablet to the 696. Everything works as it should and the sound is crystal clear but the music quality is crap. Not using headsets is not an option with built 351W right behind me. Is the poor music quality a function of the 696 or the headsets? Is a better option for compatible headsets that have better quality sound for music.

I could dig into the subject but I know tons of you guys already have the answers for me ;)

·
Registered
720 Posts
I think that's their standard headset. I think the better quality (as far as sound goes) is the AlphaBass headset H28-AB.

I use the standard (but behind the head) but find the quality acceptable bluetoothed from phone to 696.

I have read that RR plays mono and not stereo so maybe that's the issue, I haven't personally looked into it as I always found it met my needs (I just have it low like background music so it's just enjoyable white noise for me).

A couple things to check. You can bluetooth the same tablet using the same player and songs to another source to see if the quality is acceptable. You could try a different player (app) on the tablet to see if it helps. Try a streaming source or download source depending on what the original source was (to try something different). You could try bluetoothing your phone to the 696 and see if it's better. While the phone is bluetoothed, try a few phone calls through the intercom and see how they sound.

·
Super Moderator
7,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A couple things to check. You can bluetooth the same tablet using the same player and songs to another source to see if the quality is acceptable. You could try a different player (app) on the tablet to see if it helps. Try a streaming source or download source depending on what the original source was (to try something different). You could try bluetoothing your phone to the 696 and see if it's better. While the phone is bluetoothed, try a few phone calls through the intercom and see how they sound.
It's definitely not the tablet because I use the same one in the RZR. Everything works as it should and crystal clear. I suspect it's mono

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I've been curious about this as well. I have the 696 with H22 Ultimate headsets and the music is horrible. Audio while talking is fine, but the music is low volume and low quality. The helmet kits are even worse.

·
Super Moderator
7,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My $50 gaming headset sounds 1000X better than the H22s. One would think at the cost of these headsets that reasonable stereo sound would not be too much to ask.

·
craigstumph
13,854 Posts
Most of the Rugged stuff is Mono. Rugged Alpha Bass is better. PCI has much improved stereo and headsets. If your using Rugged go with Alpha Bass. If your buying new go with PCI Trax. Pro UTV Parts is a master distributor for both companies. Let me know what you need.

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
Few things to try:
Make sure the VOX adjustment (inner knob) on the RRP696 is turned all the way to the left to start. (lowest setting/OFF) I had this issue starting out as it would mute the music.

Tablet volume all the way up. (If on a Tab A, agree to the "warning" about hearing loss)

Depending on your player, it may have a volume control as well. Turn that all the way up.

For a player, I use Music Folder Player (probably better out there) but here are my Likes about it.
  • Free
  • It has Generic EQ presets and the ability to customize for your ears. I use the bass boost preset to help fill in the bass deficiencies with the H22's. I did notice if we disabled the EQ, music sounded like faint garbage. I guess that would be the same quality you are describing.
  • It kept my 120gb music file structure the same as my backup drive. Really, almost every type of music from A-Z . Feeling like attacking the trail... Click the 'Classic' folder, scroll to 'Wagner' and play 'Ride of the Valkyries '.
  • Mrs. Rev set up a few playlists. All she has to do is select the name and we are up and running.
Slight annoyance. If you start it up while on wi-fi you will get popup ad's within the payer interface that stay off-line. Not a big deal, you just need to close them if you want to change folders/songs. My work around for the ad's: Go off-line, clear the cache and stay offline for that ride if using the app. No more pop ups :cool:

Few pro tips you probably discovered with your set up: Nail polish is your friend. I prefer the color white.
  • Turn the RRP696 "Intercom" volume all the way down. Dab a spot with nail polish as a reference point. It makes it soooooo much easer to visually see where you are and adjust it accordingly. Same for the RDM-DB volume. I have accidentally bounced it to High and almost lost hearing with an incoming transmission same with turning it to low and not hearing.
  • VOX is up to you. I fiddle with mine so much on a ride (Slow sections and Hi-speed wind noise dictate the setting) I have it down to a natural feel now.
  • Silli-con-carne (dielectric grease) on all ports/connections between the units on the rear. Green creeping electric death shows up pretty quickly.

Few more in the next post....sorry , duty calls..

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
One of the downfalls of the system is all the knobs.

1) RRP696 has two volume knobs. Inner is VOX sensitivity, the outer is the VOX volume. It takes some time to crank those to where you want, which seems always needing adjustment.
2) RRP696 make sure the blue tooth volume is all the way up. Push buttons on the RH Side 'up' until it beeps.
3) Transmitter volume on the radio. Set and forget-ish.
4) Volume control on the headset. I use this as the master control into my head.

Set the first 3 in the "ball park"

Hope that helps some. It's a fine balance to get it right for you but once done not much attention needed.

·
Registered
2019 XP4 Turbo S
408 Posts
There must be something better than the Korean made ones by RR. I wonder if a speaker replacement/ upgrade is possible in the existing earpiece

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Rugged radios and PCI radios are mono communication radios first. They are not built for audiophile quality sounds. Can’t have your cake and eat it too.
There must be something better than the Korean made ones by RR. I wonder if a speaker replacement/ upgrade is possible in the existing earpiece

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
are you not reading and comprehending the replies? These are mono communication radios not made for music. Better speakers will not make the mono signal any better.

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
@Reverend_FNG Thanks but I know how it works ;)
LOL. All good, I knew you did. (y)

I started commenting and figured I would go the "full pull" for others out there.

Software audio enhancements fill in the gaps. It's not great, but it helps. The positive side; when the rig starts making "expensive noises" turn up the volume and save some $$. If you can't hear it , the problem goes away....:ROFLMAO:

·
Super Moderator
7,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good info for those not in the know (y)

The positive side; when the rig starts making "expensive noises" turn up the volume and save some $$. If you can't hear it
I can't hear $hit anyway because of the rumbling 351 right behind my head 🤣

·
Premium Member
2021 PRO XP ULTIMATE, 2015 XP1000. Sold 2013 800s LE, 2015 XP1000
804 Posts
If you want the best sound for radio, intercom and music, get the helmet kits with the 3.5mm jack and no speakers (or cut them off)(even with them there is ok). Get custom molded ear buds. Is super quiet. You can talk to the passenger or other cars like sitting on your sofa. Music is good but mono. Other ear buds work well too for less (will need a mono to stereo adapter for stereo earbuds).

·
Registered
2019 XP4 Turbo S
408 Posts
Rugged radios and PCI radios are mono communication radios first. They are not built for audiophile quality sounds. Can’t have your cake and eat it too.

are you not reading and comprehending the replies? These are mono communication radios not made for music. Better speakers will not make the mono signal any better.
No need to be condescending megadesertdiese. I thought forums were for learning and sharing info. I understand it’s mono and not stereo. This does not mean it can’t be improved.

I recognize it’s your opinion the headsets are as good as they can be. Thank you for contribution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yeah, I had the same decision kind of. Don't wear a helmet for the riding we do most of the time but wanted to talk with my passenger AND have great sounding music. Couldn't find what I wanted on my budget (I'm cheap) so I built my own. Works great for in car communication and the music sounds awesome. If you want details, happy to share

·
Registered
177 Posts
Yeah, I had the same decision kind of. Don't wear a helmet for the riding we do most of the time but wanted to talk with my passenger AND have great sounding music. Couldn't find what I wanted on my budget (I'm cheap) so I built my own. Works great for in car communication and the music sounds awesome. If you want details, happy to share
I’m sure we do. Do tell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts