Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the time has come for me to start my write up on building my own turbo kit for my rs1. This is one of the things I really wanted to do as well as I am also doing many other winter time upgrades that I have in another posting. I will start by saying that my objective with this turbo kit is low boost, bone stock engine, and reliability. I'm not trying to make 200whp here I'm just trying to put down a safe and reliable power equal to most stock or stage 1 tuned xpt models. So my target whp is in the 140 to 145 whp range. The kit will have a fan fed intercooler, external wastegate, recirculated bov, fabricated intake plenum, reloacated air intake setup, and the entire hot side including the mufflers will be ceramic coated.

Here is my parts list as of now and this may grow a little bit B4 it's all finished

Gtx2860r with billet wheel upgrade, kpa stainless full v band turbine housing, turbo xs rfl recirculating bov, turbo smart 38mm ultra gate, 5psi turbosmart wastegate spring, stock canam x3 intercooler, 9" spal pusher fan, Alba billet intake manifold, five 0 630cc injectors, multiple 2.5" stainless u bends of different radiuses, 2.5" stainless v band, modified stock header, 4" 2.5" turbo flex pipe, tial downpipe flange with v band, tial turbine inlet flange with v band, 2 MagnaFlow Mufflers, 8' of 1" .120 Dom tubing, 4' of 1/2" .120 Dom tubing, multiple silicone couplers ( 2 3" 45 degree, 2 2" 90 degree, 1 3" 90 degree, 2.5 to 2.5 hump style coupler, 2 2.25 to 2" couplers, 5" stainless exhaust pipe (used for intake plenum), 1/8 stainless plate steel 1ft x1ft, multiple tabs and universal brackets from allstar performance, innovate mtx wide band, innovate boost gauge, innovate oil temp / oil pressure combo gauge, custom remote mount oil filter setup with turbo oil feed line, 4' 3" stainless exhaust pipe, factory RZR uni filter, pre wrap for uni filter, -10 drain line, -10 billet drain flange, vibrant adjustable billet oil feed restrictor kit, and a dynojet cx for tuning

Now let me also say that so far everything will be bolt on and removable as well as nothing has had to be cut or modified on the chassis or plastics. All the factory storage areas and plastic covers are and will be intact. Here is the progress thus far. Should have some more updates in the coming weeks

Attachments

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I actually have a friend that bought his 17 turbo back from the insurance company after he wrecked it. My original plan was to use his complete engine and turbo setup. But after I started looking at things the only thing I was going to be able to use was the long block itself. At that point I decided it wasn't worth it. My only concern at the moment is tuning and a turbo drain fitting location. It seems the injector scales in the ecu are a bitch to get dialed in. I decided to just have hmf racing do the Dyno tuning once I'm done.

Another thing that Im doing here since the factory air box has been deleted was I am building a setup that has a dual inlet for the belt case. One inlet will have a large belt blower for low speed situations but the nice part is it won't cause high belt temps when running fast due to the factory inlet will still b wide open. I may do a separate write up on that setup itself.

I'm very anxious to get this thing up and rolling. According to the compressor map this should make around 145whp on 4.5-5psi of boost. It seems people like boondocker also use almost the same turbo setup with the same results on xp1k rigs. I know on hmf's Dyno my RZR made 93hp and some change with a full hmf exhaust, dynojet cx and uni filter. If I can pick a full 40-50whp on 5 psi I will b pumped! My other goal here is 93 pump gas. I ride all east coast Tennessee, WV, Kentucky and I don't have time to deal with race gas. I had to do and still do race gas in my quads but I definitely don't want to deal with that in a rzr.

I will update this as I go. I'm about to fully burn everything in once I get my plenum and wastegate finished up then powder coat will have everything about 3 weeks. Doing all ceramic on header, full exhaust and plenum. Then tripple bronze in every else so it matches my machine.

·
Registered
290 Posts
really excited to at least hear it run!!! Tuning it will be the worst of it for sure, and its too bad the complete XPT motor wouldn't just "bolt in" to the RS1 chassis.

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well technically it will bolt in and work with the transmission and chassis. As well as the throttle body and heat exchanger work as well. But I didn't think it was worth it to spend 3000 to 4k on a complete used engine just to use the long block. I can do forged pistons and Carrillo rods in this engine down the road if I want for under a grand in parts. Complete drop out xpt engine pull 3500 to 4k with the turbos and wire harness left on them. This 2860 turbo will support 300 to 325hp on high boost so it's more than I will ever need. This was the main reason I want with a larger turbo was so it will also support future down the road power if I want it. And I can't wait to hear this thing run myself. I'm really hoping it's quiet. I'm not a fan of super load rigs. Our groups sometimes are on the trail for 12+ hours in a day so keeping the noise down is a big one for me. As far as tuning I'm pretty sure I have that covered. Talked to a good friend of mine Hans that own hmf and he said not a problem on the tuning. The originally used my rs1 for rnd for Al the parts hmf sells. So they have already done a custom Dyno tune on it with the dynojet cx last year. And since the injectors I picked will max out at 180 crank hp it should make the tuning a tad more simple

Going to try to get things finish welded up by the weekend so everything can get dropped to powder coat. It's going to be painful to wait 3 weeks till I get everything back lol! But I still have a bunch to do other than this turbo kit and I'm sure I property won't be done with all of that in 3 weeks.

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Made some more progress this evening. Got my I take setup, and wastegate all plumbed on. Also got all my muffler mounts and final muffler turn down done. All the big major fabrication parts are pretty much done. Now it's down to the fit and finish and small things. Once everything is set in stone get it all pulled off and fully welded in. Getting close but still a bunch to do. This process definitely makes you understand why the 3-5 grand for turbo kits. Lots and lots of time go into things like this!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well after 8 weeks of down time and waiting on things to come back from powder coating and cerakote I finally now have everything to assemble my turbo kit. This took me way way longer than I wanted and I have way more money than anticipated. But I think and hope it will all be worth it. Hope to have some assembly pics coming early next week. It's got a appointment with the Dyno for next Saturday so I gotta get cracking! Hers a couple pics if everything back. Went with black cerakote on all the hat side and tripple bronze and black in a semi gloss finish for everything else.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Beautiful work!
Once you have the tune dialed what are your plans for suspension? That thing is going to fly keeping it on the ground will be a neat trick! I have been searching for ideas for improving the stock suspension. I'm under the impression it is inferior so you have got to be the guy with some real ideas since you will be needing it big time!

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well the rest of my rs1 is pretty well setup to say the least.

I'm running fox rc2.5 shocks all around with the gold treatment from shock therapy. Atv fourplay Koh upper and lower a arms, atv fourplay Koh trailing arms, atv fourplay radius rods, Keller 300m ball joints, front adjustable limit straps, rhino 2.0 axles, streamline big brake kits, 32" maxxis roxxzilla tires on 14" still beadlocks, 12% trans reduction, upgraded driveshaft and yokes, holz rear sway bar system and a pile of other crap. So this turbo kit was really my last piece of my puzzle.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I cant wait to see it rippin around! Hopefully it makes good power that's dependable and easy to manage. I'm still very shocked no one has a kit to market yet, or if anyone is even seriously working on one. I know several vendors are building their own, but nothing mass produced yet.

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I will have to agree on I cannot believe not a single company has brought a kit to market. I waited a year and got tired of waiting. So I said he'll with it I'm making my own. Started this project the end of January and I hope to have it wrapped up in the next 2 weeks. I'm really really hoping that this setup on 5psi will be reliable. And I think I've go the other supporting things done as far as driveline Time will tell I guess.

·
Standard Vendor
1,440 Posts
Have you finished adding extra cooling to your CVT? Just finished up our "Blaster II" for the new cover design. Not inline, stand alone that adds a high velocity of air directly over the primary. Give us a shout, would like to talk to you about it.
Regards,

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I have added some cooling to the belt setup. So I did away with the factory air box and added a second inlet to the belt case. I also put the billet primary cover on with the cooling find. We will c how it all does once it up and rolling. I never had belt temp issues B4 but then again most of my riding is in high range at speed.

·
Registered
686 Posts
This beast been on the dyno yet?

curious how it did because i have kicked around tackling it myself like you did...of course your posts would be a big help if i do decide to go that way.

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Unfortunately it's not done. Got a little side tracked at the last minute and made some build project changes. Decided to pull the engine and transmission for some 12% gear reduction in low, high and reverse to compensate for the 32s I run. Also decided to do CP 9.5:1 pistons, Carrillo rods, and arp head studs so I can run more boost as I decided to add in a manual boost controller so I can dial in around 10-11 psi. But I can still run it on 5 psi (waste gate spring) if only 87 octane is available. Hope to have the engine and transmission in Monday or Tuesday of next week. And hope to have it very close to Dyno ready in the next couple weeks. This has definitely taken way way longer than it should have. But I want to do this once and be done. And I've definitely had some hurtles along the way. One hurtle is still left and that's tuning. I'm waiting on hmf racing to send me a base file for my dynojet cx so I can start it and run some heat cycles B4 it gets put on the Dyno.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts