Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been searching for a good GPS option for my RS1, we have a new XP Pro with Ride command but I like to take RS1 sometimes too, miss the GPS, I would need to load VVMapping on it for we are in northern Wis., been looking at Lowrance and Garmin, would like 5" plus with 7 being better, the new Zumo XT looks good and comes with ball mount I think. Waterproof is something I want, son tried samsung tab but doesn't keep up and seems to lock up.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Give the options at Lifetime Trailmaps a look: Lifetime Trail Maps Home I don't own one of their tablets, but I do have their software on my phone (Samsung Galaxy 10) and zero issues keeping up/no locking up. I've read the same is true with their tablets.

I also have GaiaGPS on my phone: Gaia GPS: Navigate, Track, and Explore I end up using Gaia more than Lifetime, but that's only due to preferences, and not performance.

I think maybe the hottest up and comer with the most promise is onXOffroad: Offroad GPS Maps App: Find ATV, Dirt Bike, UTV, 4x4 Trails | onX I'm keeping an eye on this one because its maps are fantastic, its trail support is as good (if not maybe better) here in AZ (vs Lifetime; and Gaia has no native trail support (you have to add/import/make your own)) and its usability-while-on-the-trail is great. What stops me from using it full time though is the inability to share tracks/waypoints with non onX account holders, after you get home (kinda big deal as my family, who are not offroaders and who have no interest in having an onX account, still does really enjoy seeing what/where I've been; to be fair Lifetime doesn't offer sharing at all, where Gaia does with or without an account).

To hold that phone, I use a Rokform case (Rugged S Case - Galaxy S10 Plus) and mount (Pro-Series UTV Mount). NOT cheap, but by far the best mounting system for any vehicle I've used. Zero, and I mean none, rattle/jiggle/chatter/movement at all. Absolutely rock solid mounting system.

If any of those GPS solutions interest ya, fire away with any specific questions about them (or really, any other app based GPS tracker as I've pretty much used them all at this point, including RideCommand). Happy to share my experiences/likes/dislikes/etc.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Yah, it's a tough one... They all have their Pros and Cons

Garmin Off road trail map device looks good
I use a Samsung II 8.5" tablet and it works great.
Use Avenza, Backcountry pro and now trying the OnX as referenced above, on the tablet.
Using the tablet also allows for music blue toothed to a speaker or ear buds..
Would need to carry a hot spot for normal internet stuff..and a power source if going out on all day trips.
Nothing worse than have the battery drained when you're trying to find the way home...heheh
Don't ask me how I know that

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Oh I doubt it was a "mistake". Race teams have counted on that system forever. I just happen to think that there might be better options these days. But again, with that said, you'll probably love it once you've climbed the learning curve and come to understand its capabilities/limitations.

Either way, let us know how it works out for ya. The more feedback, the better!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts