Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I knew I would have more questions than answers for a while so here goes. I'm new to Polaris and belt drive systems. I carried my daughter to the neighbor's about 1/2 mile away and kinda punched my 08 Rzr. It bumped about 40 mph (not full throttle) and about 5,200 rpm. What kind of rpm should this 08, 800 Rzr max at? Seemed kinda high to me, but I don't know!! Thanks, Still Learning..:ride:

·
Premium Member
4,381 Posts
It should land somewhere around 6300-6400 rpm before the rev limiter kicks in. These things are interessting to say the least. they are designed to flash to a certain rpm, depending on the arm weights in the primary clutch when you stomp the throttle. Usually around 5000 rpm from a standstill. AS you gain speed the clutches then start to "shift out" allowing you to gain rpm as speed reaches certain limits, usually determined again by the clutchweights and spring tension built into the clutches. As you approach top speed, you can often feel the clutch shift out to its final ratio (on smooth roads where soft surfaces don't come into play)
go to BlackBart's clutch threads for some really interesting info on how they work.

Another way to look at it is the engine pretty much flashes to a given rpm and the clutch does all the work after that.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks medic418. I've been away from my pc why I haven't responded. Actually I've never had an ATV with a tach before. Thats why I thought it might be a little high. My other is an 01, 350 4x4 Honda Rancher and I don't think it turns nearly this many Rs. I will check out the link you provided. Thanks...

H

·
0 Posts
A CVT basically tries to keep the Engine a peak power RPM under heavy load..in theory the quicker the CVT lets the engine get to peak power RPM and the longer it can keep it therr the better performance it will have. Therefore the RPMs can seem high, especially under acceleration, to someone used to a manual or a multiple gear automatic trans.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts