Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ride steep rocky mountain trails in WA on a 2009 50" LE. Sometimes I take a take a passenger along who is similar weight to me and logically that should keep the machine more balanced side-to-side. However, when I ride by my self, I'm concerned the machine may be unbalanced and more likely to roll over on right turns. Any experience with this issue out there?

·
Registered
559 Posts
the engine and the gas are on the right...evens it out a bit. Unless you are really fat...then you might have a problem.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Several months back, I had done some measuring, weighing, and calculating on my rzr to compute the roll over angle with different configurations. Unfortunately, the netbook I did everything on died, so I don't have the numbers anymore, but to the best of my recollection, the rzr didn't become any more inclined to tip over to the left with just a driver vs driver and passenger. What did change is that without the passenger you could lean to the right by a couple degrees more than you could with both people in the vehicle.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I think its pretty balanced..i weighed mine empty..

front driver 225
front pass 225

rear driver 375
rear pass 350

·
Registered
302 Posts
I looked through my desktop just to see if I could find any of my old measurements. I didn't back them up to the desktop, but I did scan through my old posts and found where I had posted the roll tip over angle of a couple configurations. On the downside, I didn't post the weights and measurements I used to do the calculations so you can't play with the data to see how it might change things.

Here is the old post: http://www.rzrforums.net/general-rzr-discussion/27139-break-over-angle-rzr-3.html

with this being the data I did put up:

My config is rzr, lifted about 2 inches with a rocktek lift kit, seats lowered an inch with aftermarket seat bases. I used 48 inches as my wheel width, 77 inches length between axle centers. My rzr with half a tank of gas, and my installed skid plates weighs in at 1060 lbs.

Empty, with a half tank of gas, I calculated it out at:

Degrees Left: 46.19
Degrees Right: 45.32
Degrees Back: 53.82
Degrees forward: 62.57

Of course this is static, assuming the gas doesn't shift, suspension/tires don't flex etc. I'm sure in driving conditions momentum, unstable ground and everything else would result in it going over prior to the static calculated values.

RZR with me in drivers seat (265 pound driver)

Degrees left: 41.06
Degrees right: 43.38
Degrees Back: 50.91
Degrees Forward: 59.27

Finally, the RZR configuration I sometimes use with 143 pounds of weight added to the cargo compartment (Diamond plate box, come along, 4 gallon flatpak, assorted tools, water etc)

Degrees Left: 38.15
Degrees Right: 39.91
Degrees Back: 45.54
Degrees Forward: 57.71

What I found is that mathematically at least, the weight on the back doesn't affect the roll over angle quite as much as I would have guessed, but it is still significant of course, especially when it comes to tipping over backwards.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts