Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me the diameter the the top front bar on the roll cage, im looking to machine a mirror for our future razr but I need the diameter of this pipe first. Preferably the measurement from a 2011 if possible, thank you.

·
Desert Rat
2,118 Posts
Yeppers, main bars are 1-3/4" bars behind the seats, etc are 1-1/2"

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Not to keep bothering everyone with this but can anyone with a mirror tell me what the drop needs to be to clear everything and put the mirror at a good height?? Currently I have the drop at 7.5 inches and that would be the center-to-center of the holes in the picture I have included.

Sorry, here is picture - This ofcourse is just a rough cutout of the general shape, the pockets are going to be milled while the profile and holes will be cut with a wire edm along with the slot.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Quick question before I go up to my shop and measure my brackets for you....

Will this be two brackets, one on each end? A single wide angle or panoramic mirror?
I found that the brackets won't hang exactly the same way on each side due to the need to be able to swing them up or down to position the mirror properly. My brackets have a slot instead of a hole so that I can slide the end up or down as needed.

One other thing, a bracket that fully surrounds the front top tube may interfere with a roof - should you decide to mount one. There is a type of clamp that will work without going completely around the tube, you should check it out.
Pacific Customs Sandrail Parts, VW Parts, Dune Buggy Parts, BILLET ALUMINUM HEADSET HANGER FOR ONE HEADSET CLAMPS ON TO 1.50 TUBE

Since you say "future RZR" I thought I'd throw this out there. :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Something that hangs in the center similar to this - UNIVERSIAL 9" BILLET REAR VIEW CENTER MIRROR

I can edit the clamp to whatever I need, me being at college I have access to cnc mill, lathe, surface grinders, and edms so pretty much if I can draw it I can make it. My plans are to get a rough design, cut it out, glass bead and have it anodized once I get it done. Ill take a look at the link you provided and see if I can get something drawn up using that real quick, thanks for your help! oh and the real reason for doing this is I need a project for 2-3 classes and I might as well make something I can use right?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is the half-clamp drawing I just threw together, not real sure about the space yet...

·
Registered
141 Posts
since you havent gotten the RZR yet, go check one out a dealer. The roll cage tubes attach to the crossbar up front so be careful on the width of your mirror.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looking at that picture I assume your talking about the supports coming from the side rollbars to the front rollbar? The clamp I have shown here in multiple cad drawings will only be 1/2" thick and the 7.5" drop will hopefully get it down far enough but im thinking that 7.5" is too much, can anyone give me a length?

·
Desert Rat
2,118 Posts
Mine is offset to the left, pretty much straight ahead of me. Had to do this because of my ATR windshield brace.

·
Registered
431 Posts
IMO, 7.5" is way to much! My mirror hangs right at the crossbar..... I would say closer to the 2" area.

·
Desert Rat
2,118 Posts
Okay, here's a shot of my mirror. I would say tha the horizontal centerline of the mirror is about even with the bottom of the main tube. I have a PoPo roof on it too, with the rear overhang, and it works great.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Here is the half-clamp drawing I just threw together, not real sure about the space yet...

That looks great.

As you have seen from the photos posted by scotty, you don't have to come down much with the mirror.

If you're in need of project ideas, whip up a whip mount. They're easy. And you'll want one for your RZR anyway. :)

Billet fire extinguisher mounts, etc., take advantage of that opportunity! :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I kinda ditched the other design because of the length and I didnt want to try to make the half clamp fit into a smaller package so today during open house I threw a new design together and ran it quick. The ears on each side of the big hole are going to be counterbored, drilled, and tapped tomorrow and then I will split the top in half to make the clamp. Still trying to think of a way to get the mirror to move left/right also with the up/down without making it too big...if anyone has any ideas for that it would be great and does anyone know if the back of convex mirror glass is flat? If the convex mirror has a flat back I could get away with just up/down movement. Thanks for all the help, here is a picture of the new clamp.

·
Desert Rat
2,118 Posts
Okay, look at my picture. The clamp goes around the tube. The bolts that attach the clamp bolt through a 3/16" anodized aluminum plate. Attached to the plate is a "pill" like what they glue to your windshield in your street car. The mirror assembly then mounts to the "pill", and is fully articulated. It'll go up, down, left right or any combination thereof. When I say up and down, I mean the whole mirror will move up and down in the vertical plane, while the mirror stays aimed where you want it.

·
Mad Scientist
1,247 Posts
if you leave out the hole in the mount end, you could bore a hole in it and thread it for a ball and socket joint, i did that on mine, i left it really short and put a ball on the mirror and one on the mount and a 2.5" link in the middle that way you can move it around, left/right up/down.

·
Mad Scientist
1,247 Posts
you can buy them from places like mcmaster carr, but it's really cheaper to go down to autozone and buy an el cheapo rear view mirror and take the parts from that. that's what i used on mine and it's been in my rzr since may of 07, with no issues
if you have access to a lathe with a ball turning attachment you could make your own balls if you wanted.
or look at some of the RAM mount stuff they have some nice joints.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just ordered 4 of the 9512K73 10mm balls with 5/16-18 threads, they are about halfway down the page and I tried to find the link you were talking about but its about $30 so ill just make one myself... McMaster-Carr

1 - 20 of 30 Posts