Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With 29" tires what is everyone setting their ride heights to? I really want to be lower than stock. Somewhere around 13 in the front 12.5 in the back maybe? And I know to adjust ride height loosen the top jam nut and then just spin the top spring correct?

·
Registered
155 Posts
What's your reasoning for wanting it to be lower? For certain applications it certainly makes sense to lower it down but the lower you go the lower in the shock stroke you'll be and into the bump stage much sooner giving you a stiffer ride. Keeping it up at correct ride height keeps the shock stroke roughly where it should be.

To adjust it you'll want to clean off the threads on the shock body first to avoid any galling when you spin it. You also need to jack the machine up to get the weight off the springs. Loosen off the jamb nut and then loosen the preload collar. It may spin with the upper spring, it may not. If only the upper spring spins you'll want to ensure you end up with the springs clocked correctly again on the spring divider. The bottoms should be ~180 degrees from each other lining up with the arrows on the divider.
Before you re-measure the ride height after adjusting you need to drive the car back and forth 20ft or so to get the suspension to settle.

For ride height adjustment the front is approximately a 1:2 ratio (1" of preload adjustment equals 2" of wheel adjustment). The rear is close to 1:1.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I came from racing sport quads and i still like to ride as fast as i can. I want a lower center of gravity for that reason. I accidentally posted in a different forum about going from 29" tires to 27" and not real sure about that either. Im not trying to go threw mud holes or climb rocks, I ride MX style tracks and trails so i don't need a bunch of ground clearance

New to the 1000 turbo so trying to figure out the best route

·
Registered
155 Posts
No problem at all to lower it down for that type of riding. A lot of guys that run short course tracks lower the ride height for that very reason. Running the suspension in firm will help keep it flat around the corners as well.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I’d be tempted to go smaller wider tires to go lower rather than play with spring pre-load. A smaller tire will lower you, give you better acceleration, and allow full use of springs and shocks.

·
Aspiring Perfectionist
4,685 Posts
I’d be tempted to go smaller wider tires to go lower rather than play with spring pre-load. A smaller tire will lower you, give you better acceleration, and allow full use of springs and shocks.
I replied to his other post about this, but if you do that on an XPT/S or 1K, you've effectively lost 1" of suspension travel (if you went from a 29 to a 27) since they are setup to bottom the chassis out on 29" tires at full compression, and now, the bottom of the frame becomes your bump stop with no assistance from the shock...ouch.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts