Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
Satellite view requires a lot of data. More then most things can store. That is why it requires an outside connection, WiFi or cell service. Take a good look at what the base maps shows and what satellite shows. For backcountry use satellite view would not be that helpful for use on the move. Too much information, too hard to dig through. For some things it is a big help.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Nice app suggestions! I have been using iPad mini on a ram mount on the passenger grab handle. Running the Polaris app. Works great but I am ready to try other apps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
This thread started by asking about what everyone uses and had mentioned adding cameras. Just curious how many use cameras and for what useses? Got stuck on a high cliff climbing in Farmington and lucky had rugged radios. My buddies turned me around inch by inch because there was no room, lucky I trust them haha

·
Registered
15 Posts
Satellite view requires a lot of data. More then most things can store. That is why it requires an outside connection, WiFi or cell service. Take a good look at what the base maps shows and what satellite shows. For backcountry use satellite view would not be that helpful for use on the move. Too much information, too hard to dig through. For some things it is a big help.
Not as much as you may think. Set to a high resolution, I have Hatfield loaded in so you don't need a connection and it is only 3GB. RAC land in PA where I ride is only 1GB. It is invaluable there where the trails are not marked or numbered like other areas.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
Not as much as you may think. Set to a high resolution, I have Hatfield loaded in so you don't need a connection and it is only 3GB. RAC land in PA where I ride is only 1GB. It is invaluable there where the trails are not marked or numbered like other areas.
Funny talking about 3 GB not being much. Remember the time when we thought if we had 3MB of memory we really had something. :smile

·
Registered
198 Posts
Okay, so I just got back for a trip to Cooke City Montana and I used both the on board Ride Command and my Ipad on a RAM mount with Avenza maps.

Honestly, using both of them together was probably the best option as I always had info on the roads and the trails. Where one would fall short the other would pick up the slack and we were able to find everything we needed.

I also have a Garmin Rhino that I brought with that is loaded with topo maps and trails, which was kinda handy sometimes too! The maps I have loaded on the Garmin actually show all the old mines in the Cooke City Area, so that was kinda cool too.

So.........in the end, I don't think one system is go to and all encompassing. Using a few different systems together was the ticket for me!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Anyone use map plus on iPad? Loaded it up with bob t maps for HmT and want to make sure it’s going to work when I get there.

Sent from my iPad using RZRForums.net

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have and use ride command on my mini Ipad I like it so far. I alway go out in a group so we always have someone with another program/maps and it works out good

·
Registered
68 Posts
Old forum but hopefully someone sees this. I had the ride command app on my phone, and downloaded an area for "offline" use. When I got to the trailhead I had no service, but I figured it didn't matter since I had that area saved offline. Instead the map was just blank. Does anyone know how to get the offline portion to work properly?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Old forum but hopefully someone sees this. I had the ride command app on my phone, and downloaded an area for "offline" use. When I got to the trailhead I had no service, but I figured it didn't matter since I had that area saved offline. Instead the map was just blank. Does anyone know how to get the offline portion to work properly?
Uninstall the ride command app, then reinstall it and download your riding areas. When you start the app it seems to take longer for the map to load, give it a minute or so to load up. I had this problem a couple of days ago also.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Uninstall the ride command app, then reinstall it and download your riding areas. When you start the app it seems to take longer for the map to load, give it a minute or so to load up. I had this problem a couple of days ago also.
I did leave the maps up for a while, and it just stayed blank. I'll try uninstalling and see if it works this weekend.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
I have had ride command in my last two machines and love it. I also use an ipad with Onx hunt loaded on it. I find the Onx hunt maps to be way more detailed than the ride command maps. I would not replace my ride command with an ipad though. My ride command also provides engine information, am/fm radio, streaming music from my iphone, and my SSV stereo system plugs into it as well as my rugged radio intercom and car to car bluetooth to it. So with that said I would pick Ride Command over an ipad for all the other stuff it does but not just for the navigation feature.

·
Registered
715 Posts
What size iPad are you guys running? And what mount? I was going to pick up a new Mini as I didn’t want too much hanging off the roof blocking my view, but I’m not sure it’s big enough. Still young, so eyes are still good though!

·
Registered
458 Posts
61 - 77 of 77 Posts