Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Boozin' and Crusin'
328 Posts
None of those things, but im going to do my new front bumper right now. The spray on stuff is really nice to work with. It doesnt run, you can put it on with any texture you want and it dries really fast.

·
Premium Member
1,146 Posts
The whole tub, bed and bumper caps have been rhino-lined inside and out on the ATR Race RZR.

Check it out, it makes cleanup a snap and you don't have nasty faded mud-stained plastic! If you choose a light color, it will also reflect some light so you can see the engine bay and foot well better in lower light conditions. It's also very flexible and resilient, this liner has been on for almost 2 years and is still glossy with almost no nicks or chips.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
how hard is it to spray it? i wish they had it in a spray can

·
Registered
226 Posts
I used the Dupli Color bed coating that comes in a spray can in the cab. But it will flake off on the sides. It hasnt flaked off the floor as of yet. So it doesnt work to bad and the floor panels arent as slick. I think the roll on or spray on would work better. I'm thinking about doing the plastics on the side's as well but I think that the roll would work better for that. I guess it depends on the Prep Work to get it to stick better. So maybe this helps.

Anthony

·
Registered
654 Posts
Whatever you do do not waste money on Rhino Lining anything that will brush into rocks, dirt, trees, ect. I Rhino lined my entire cage and it peels every time it touches anything. And yes its on there and cured very well.

·
Registered
73 Posts
We rhino lined my kids 170 plastic to all yellow and couldn't be happier. Been very durable for us. Lot more durable than the original plastic was and way cooler looking

I think we have a picture of it in my photo section here

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
Whatever you do do not waste money on Rhino Lining anything that will brush into rocks, dirt, trees, ect. I Rhino lined my entire cage and it peels every time it touches anything. And yes its on there and cured very well.
it looks like your liner was sprayed over bare steel if so it will not stick .any bare metal needs to primed and sanded with a coarse grit sandpaper .

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
I do sprayed in bed liners along with a collision repair business and have been wanting to do mine but just don't have time to do it .if I'm not working at the shop I'm trying to get my property repaired from all the flood damages last year and squeeze a ride weekend every now then.my liner supply company says if properly prepared it sticks to plastics great.you have use the automotive raw plastic cleaner and primers for max adhesion and never spray over bare metal as it won't stick to bare metal at all.maybe this winter I'll get some time to do it.as a warning to those thinking of the walmart ,roll on or aerosol liners those are nothing even remotely close to an actual urethane liner.they are just heavy bodied paint that leave a real big mess. I've had so many people come in with it pealing and cracking wanting me to spray over it or peal it up and then do a real bed liner. so as the saying goes you get what you pay for. kybodyguy

·
Registered
654 Posts
it looks like your liner was sprayed over bare steel if so it will not stick .any bare metal needs to primed and sanded with a coarse grit sandpaper .

It was sanded and cleaned with something to remove oils and then some bonding liquid was applied to the metal. U can't see in the pics but the bar is all scuffed up from sanding.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Something not right about that RZR 4 with the peeling issue. Plastic is not the best for it to adhere to but that metal cage should not peel unless it was applied or mixed wrong. I have ran Rhino Liners in my last 4 trucks and I had an issue with one peeling and they said it all the trucks sprayed that day had this issue and were returned and fixed under warranty. Never had an issue after that. I rolled one of them on the 405 freeway at about 70 and it flipped several times. Truck was destroyed but the bed rails still had the Rhino Liner on the tops... I was amazed.

One thing the owner of the Rhino Liner dealer told me was to do plastic you need to entirely encapsulate the object. He showed me two plastic patio chairs they did for a test. One was flaky and the other looked perfect.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Something not right about that RZR 4 with the peeling issue. Plastic is not the best for it to adhere to but that metal cage should not peel unless it was applied or mixed wrong. I have ran Rhino Liners in my last 4 trucks and I had an issue with one peeling and they said it all the trucks sprayed that day had this issue and were returned and fixed under warranty. Never had an issue after that. I rolled one of them on the 405 freeway at about 70 and it flipped several times. Truck was destroyed but the bed rails still had the Rhino Liner on the tops... I was amazed.

One thing the owner of the Rhino Liner dealer told me was to do plastic you need to entirely encapsulate the object. He showed me two plastic patio chairs they did for a test. One was flaky and the other looked perfect.
Idk when u have the rzr on Its side and that bar is supporting 2000lbs drawing across a rock wall it just seems to peel. It took alot of that for It to peel. Just saying it does happen.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Ya but I have seen many crawler Jeeps in Johnson Valley where they do the KOH comp. that are Rhino Lined and they drag the rocks as well and weigh much more and they don't look like that... You could be right but I've never seen it happen

·
Premium Member
198 Posts

It was sanded and cleaned with something to remove oils and then some bonding liquid was applied to the metal. U can't see in the pics but the bar is all scuffed up from sanding.
if the bonding liquid isn't a primer surfacer preferably an epoxy based primer it will not stick.we've had warranty a couple jobs and had to remove the old liner and had to cut it into 2" wide strips w a razor knife and use an air chisel to scrape it off took over 2 days to get it out.we had a customer tell us they drug a pallet of stone out the back of their truck by hooking a strap to a tree and pulling forward and it didn't peel.so if done properly it's almost impossible to tear.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I had my floor board sprayed with Line-X and love the look and the grip it gives but don't think mine got preped at all. After one ride just were my left foot was sitting I wore it off and the section peeled right off, the plastic under it is still shinny and looks like new. I thought of maybe soda blasting it to get it to adhere better? Only thing I did not do was have the bottom sprayed was concered about getting it back in. Sure do like how ATR's looks!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.