Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I don't know about everyone else but I'm getting real tired of my boots tearing on my superatv rhino axles!! I have the 5" satv lift and I have 5 torn boots after this weekend!! And 3 before that.. This is a problem that satv needs to look at because I know I'm not the only one with this problem. Is there an automotive boot that will be stronger? I don't want to replace with satv boot because it's just Goin to do the same thing.

·
Super Moderator
4,978 Posts
Loosen the cv band on the axle and slide it away from the CV joint slightly. They are too far towards the CV joint causing the to "bunch up" when turning and they get pinched.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Tell me about it, had 1350 mostly trouble free miles before putting their kit on, now I work on it after every trip out.

Sent from my MotoAtrix using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't see how it could be getting pinched when I'm turning bc the rear are doing the same thing. And the fronts are the inners that are torn this time. I just need a stronger boot.

·
Super Moderator
4,978 Posts
Torn or a small pin hole? If it's a small hole then it's the CV pinching the boot. I had the same issue along with many others. Could also be doing it at max suspension travel with the CV is at max angle.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My rear inner has a small pin hole right now but the fronts are completely torn. But I have had a rear inner tear as well!

·
I am still 16 in my head!
1,947 Posts
RZRJoe is giving good advice, if the boots are bunched up to tight they will wear faster. You want them spread out so that they can accordian properly. Also it may help to go to a slightly larger boot between the clamps. The section that accordians needs to be larger. I rectified a guys ATV with extreme anges by putting on a differnt type of boot, with the center section larger and spreading out the folds as RZRJOE is suggesting.

·
I am still 16 in my head!
1,947 Posts
On another note, CV Boots are like Belts, Clutches, and Engines. Starting out easy on them and allowing them to warm up helps also. I have seen Boots on Turners not make it two miles when a young man just hammered it right off the start. When we told him to take it easy and let everything warm up good, his boots lasted. He had the Turners at very xtreme angles and they would heat up fast, apparently way to fast than the boots could handle. But again, if he let the Rig warm up and take it easy for awhile the boots would have no problem.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I had pin holes in my boots as well. Fronts only

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the input guys! I'll try them out Toyotamud and I will also pull them out from the cv as well to get less binding.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Ive torn 3 boots on my lift. 2 outters and one inner.....

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's crazy how much these axles tear boots! If I would have known this I would have never bought them. And satv hasn't done anything about the boots is what I don't understand!

·
Super Moderator
4,978 Posts
It's crazy how much these axles tear boots! If I would have known this I would have never bought them. And satv hasn't done anything about the boots is what I don't understand!
I have a +6LT with Rhino axles with XP springs on 800. At max travel I have over 21" of GC. At first I had the same issue, developed small pin holes in the middle of the boot. Adjusted them as I suggested above and not a problem since. Also, if it's only a pin hole there is no need to replace the boot. Clean it throughly with brake cleaner (leaves no residue) and cover the area with plumber goo...

·
Registered
139 Posts
the problem is super atv stuff. i have some forward a arms that bushings would not fit in (the fit to loose) they sent me 3 sets and same thing. also 2 rides and one of the balljoints ripped apart. but back stock now and no problems. ps forward arms for sale cheap lol

·
Registered
682 Posts
I got the forward arms with my kit, took it out for 30 mins and pin holes in both outer boots. Told Tyler about this and he sent me two new boots and he sent me the 0 offset arms for the fronts and that seem to have solved the problem. Only have had a couple of rides on it since. Tyler has been really good to me so far. I also have my font on the lowest hole and the rear on the highest hole. Make sure to have the steering stops in also.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I got the forward arms with my kit, took it out for 30 mins and pin holes in both outer boots. Told Tyler about this and he sent me two new boots and he sent me the 0 offset arms for the fronts and that seem to have solved the problem. Only have had a couple of rides on it since. Tyler has been really good to me so far. I also have my font on the lowest hole and the rear on the highest hole. Make sure to have the steering stops in also.
Thats probably my problem, wish I got that type of service. Only remedy for my case was to sell it back to them minus shipping (From them originally and then back to them) and 10% (BS!). This totals to about $400-500 loss at least.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Just buy the new font arms and sell the offset arms. Tell them your problem and maybe they will give you a good deal! Just a thought.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts