Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new owner of a 900 mile 2011 RG special 4 800. I know zero about these vehicles. I have always been involved with full size off road vehicles.
Question = Whenever i am gear selecting in the vehicle I get reverse gear grinding when shifting up or down from park to drive or back. While in all gears the transmission works effectively. Is this a possible linkage issue or perhaps a syncro problem - clutch?
your thoughts please?
I also posted this under transmission - this is my first post - I did not realize there was a specific forum for rzr 4

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies although I do not know what adjust the link means - i still have to investigate idle speed etc - however the unit is at my desert house - and this time of year i may only get out there once a month - gets hot - Ill follow up once I have revisited the vehicle -

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
There are no synchronizers in the transmissions. They cannot be shifted anytime while in motion. IF the idle speed is too high it can actuate the clutch and cause grinding when shifting but will happen when shifting to any gear from park or neutral due to rotating transmission components. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2014 RZR XP1000
948 Posts
There are no synchronizers in the transmissions. They cannot be shifted anytime while in motion. IF the idle speed is too high it can actuate the clutch and cause grinding when shifting but will happen when shifting to any gear from park or neutral due to rotating transmission components. Hope this helps.
Ya I was going to ask but it sounded like he keew.

·
Registered
343 Posts
High idle could be it. A locked up bearing in the Primary is another reason. The secondary clutch should not be moving at idle and if it is it will grind. There are other reasons explained here. Pic #3 (shimming) being the most common reason.

·
Registered
2009 rzr 800 converted to S width , WE shocks , 3 inch lift
464 Posts
I noticed my 800 need to wait for engine to slow down to 1250 idle, 3 to 4 seconds it seems like eternity riding . Have rpms on speedometer .
I often do it and noticed everyone that drives my machine grinds it bad . Now only I drive. Can not afford to fix a transmission this point in life. Buying gas is hard enough.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts