Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A bunch of friends and I looking into riding the AZPT (Arizona Peace Trail) in Arizona this spring. We are researching the requirements to make our machines street legal. The biggest obstacle appears to be the license plate. We live in NC and are not required to register or get a license plate. Has anyone from NC done this and what did you do.

Thanks,
Bob

·
Registered
308 Posts
Hi, Missouri is the same as NC as far as registering. We rode in and around Quartzite and Wikieup Az. last Feb. and where unlicensed and there was no problem, not saying it was legal, but folks said it was no big deal.
We decided we would like to make this an annual event and checked in to getting Az. license. ? It was crazy, we would get one person telling us one thing and another something else. It boils down to if you want a Az. License you have to pay sales tax on your machine and have it insured in Az. with a Az. home address.

Best of luck and if you go there to ride be prepared to take along extra fuel, you can put a lot of miles on in one day.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Arizona Game & Fish Division, AZGFD, defines the legal requirements. OHV and registration tags, along with plates are issued by Arizona Department of Transportation, ADOT, thru the Motor Vehicle Division, MVD. AZGFD and ADOT MVD are your best sources for current info. Some rule changes took affect this year in regards to out of state vehicles (not registered in AZ).
Arizona address for title, a different mailing address, and insurance was required a few years ago to be street legal. Some minor machine equipment like horn and plate light. The Arizona address was not a residence. Procedure wise, request OHV tag first to designate as mainly off-road usage. If you request plate and registration first, you are designating primary use as on road, and your registration fee will go from less than $15, to a few hundred. This is also noted in the AZGFD documents. The OHV tag was like $25.
Just follow current info from AZGFD and AZDOT MVD.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
You actually have the option when you register them in Arizona as primary off road or primary on road, primary off road is much cheaper. I have had 3 different UTV's over the last 15 years and never had an issue with them registered primary off road tags..... however i don't ride it on the street very often.

·
kensnider
62 Posts
You can also plate in South Dakota, they plate out of state and ride street legal in Az. and any other state where utv's are allowed on the streets. I got my insurance through my auto insurance and they sent me a proof of insurance card for every state I will be ridding. Geico full coverage $350 per year.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can also plate in South Dakota, they plate out of state and ride street legal in Az. and any other state where utv's are allowed on the streets. I got my insurance through my auto insurance and they sent me a proof of insurance card for every state I will be ridding. Geico full coverage $350 per year.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
You can get a plate from South Dakota, Idaho or New Mexico. All three have out of state resident programs. SD requires you to either have paid tax in your home state, or they will charge you sales tax. The other two don't require that and are much cheaper. You can do NM online and it's $7.
You can also do Arizona if you camp there for several months. I did it years ago and my address was the field behind the Flying J in Quartsite. They make you pay or have paid sales tax, and you have to have Arizona insurance. Not worth it if you aren't spending months there.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
You can get a plate from South Dakota, Idaho or New Mexico. All three have out of state resident programs. SD requires you to either have paid tax in your home state, or they will charge you sales tax. The other two don't require that and are much cheaper. You can do NM online and it's $7.
You can also do Arizona if you camp there for several months. I did it years ago and my address was the field behind the Flying J in Quartsite. They make you pay or have paid sales tax, and you have to have Arizona insurance. Not worth it if you aren't spending months there.
Any links, or assistance on how to go about finding the forms for licensing in New Mexico? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
Any links, or assistance on how to go about finding the forms for licensing in New Mexico? Thanks.

Go here:

Setup your account, go to the section for OHV Highway vehicles and follow the directions. They issue on or off highway stickers. Utah accepts the stickers as long as they are lit at night, but you'll have to check on Arizona. Most states that allow street legal OHVs reciprocate, but you should verify that yourself. Here is a post from the PD in Moab about accepting the NM on highway sticker.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Go here:

Setup your account, go to the section for OHV Highway vehicles and follow the directions. They issue on or off highway stickers. Utah accepts the stickers as long as they are lit at night, but you'll have to check on Arizona. Most states that allow street legal OHVs reciprocate, but you should verify that yourself. Here is a post from the PD in Moab about accepting the NM on highway sticker. View attachment 643248
Awesome! Thank you!

·
Registered
308 Posts
That’s Great, Thanks for sharing! I wish l would have known this earlier. ?
We have our RV in a Montana LLC and where able to add our RZR to the LLC, for a fee of course. We then got a Montana permanent license for the RZR.

·
Registered
59 Posts
If you purchase any vehicle including RV's, trailers, motorhomes, ATV's, UTV's etc. from a private party there is no sales tax in Arizona. I just paid the registration renewal on my street and off road legal 2017 Rzr 570 and it was $9.75. I ride right out of my driveway as well as trailering it all over the state.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Below is the response I got back from the coordinator of the AZPT. They do honor other states license plates, I ordered my NM one this morning for $7. All you need to do is the following:

Add license plate light.
Add horn.
Any other item on their list that you may not have on your machine.
Buy a NM license plate for $7
Buy an AZ Off Road sticker

This is pretty simple as it turns out. I will carry a copy of the email with me.

Matthew Eberhart
10:50 AM (1 hour ago)
to me

Bob,

License plates are only required on county maintained roads and pavement. If you plan to ride the trail segments of the AZ Peace Trail you will be fine with simply purchasing a non-resident OHV decal by clicking this link and following the step by step instructions that I've attached. However, the only way to plate your vehicle would be to register, title and insure the vehicle here. To do that you would need to have at least a part time residence here to be able to use that address to register your vehicle. Another option to be able to ride the entire AZ Peace Trail would be to rent a vehicle here in AZ to use as it would be registered and plated here. I hope this information helps. If you have additional questions please let me know and I'll be happy to help. Take care and ride safe.

2 Attachments

Bob Titzer <[email protected]>
11:31 AM (19 minutes ago)
to Matthew

Thanks for the reply. We only plan on riding the AZPT but it does go through some towns. We will be going into towns for lodging, food, and gas. Is this OK with you?. I have also heard that if you have a New Mexico plate that AZ will honor that.

Thanks for your quick reply.

Bob Titzer

336-858-0887

Matthew Eberhart
11:37 AM (13 minutes ago)
to me

Bob,

In order to drive into most towns you will need to be street legal. If you have a plate from another state we do honor them. In addition to a license plate you will also need the items listed on page 6 & 7 of the attached brochure to be street legal in AZ. Let me know if there are any other questions I can answer for you.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sounds good, but i believe what you are getting from NM is going to be a sticker, and not a license plate? At least thats what i thought i read.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts