Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Helitack
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2009 Sunset red LE. I scratched my right front fender pretty good. One scratch is an inch or so long into the paint. The rest are just in the clear coat. I like my stuff to look good and I am pissed every time I look at it. I want to fix it to put it back to original condition. I have a $400.00 estimate from a body shop to repaint the fender and clear coat the whole thing. A new front body is close to $1000.00 with tax and shipping. Should I buy a new front body and sell the scratched front body. The front body is almost in perfect condition with the exception of the front fender, there are no holes or cracks. What do you think its worth?
You brush runners try not to pick on me two bad.:rofl3: My Red 2008 was all scratch up from running through the brush. I knew it was a mistake to buy a RZR with a nice paint job.:rm_thumbdown:

·
Registered
995 Posts
An inch or so long?! I've fixed scratches that go to the primer/plastic that much longer than that. Don't throw out the baby with the bathwater. This is an easy, easy fix with the right tools--tools which you can use over and over for future oops.

If I were you, I'd do as follows:

1. Get a Langka paint kit. I use it on every vehicle I own, and it really works as it says it will. (LANGKA Paint Chip and Scratch Repair)

2. Get a can of spray sunset red from your dealer (the paint code is somewhere on here).

3. Spray the paint into a bathroom cup. Use a toothpick to apply the paint in the scratch a little higher than the paint on the body, let dry per the Langka instructions, use the Langka solution to get it even with the surface. It won't be a 100% perfect match as the flake may be slightly off, but it'll be very, very close--maybe 95%.

4. Give it 24-48 hours to dry. Then, hit the entire front clip with a rotary or random orbital polisher. I use a Porter Cable 7424 with Sonus pads and Sonus polishes. (autopia-carcare.com for the pads, many places for the 7424). Don't buff out the front too often, though, as Polaris likely uses the basic amount of clearcoat paint. Once every 6 months to keep it looking new is how I approach it.

If you don't own a polisher, for $100-$200, it's a good investment--especially for someone who wants to keep it looking new. I've used it on the body paint and on the rims (which are clearcoated).

5. Pat yourself on the back for a job well done. And, if you were thinking of going the repainting route, use the $700 you saved towards some other lasting mods, and not paint, which will get scratched time and time again. :ride:

Below is what a little paint repair and buffing can do. I have about 450 miles in 1.5 years, all PA trails with scrub brush, trees, bushes, limbs, etc. My plastics and roll bar are scuffed, but the paint looks brand new. For the plastics, I use 303 Aerospace protectant, and for the bars, I used Werkstat Prime and Jett sealants, which I also use on the paint.

A long time ago in high school, I detailed cars for pretty decent spending cash. So, I'm a nut when it comes to "the perfect shine", as well as paint and finish perfection.

·
Helitack
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is a picture of what I am faced with. I am not a paint and body guy but, I am willing to try. I have both the Polaris touch up paint and the spray paint for sunset red. Do you think its repairable?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
I used to be anal about stuff like that too. I just don't have the time to do it the way I'd like to after every time out. :sad:

The other weekend I went on a solo ride on my dirtbike to the top of a nearby bump to look out over the desert....some guy on a KTM rides up to say hello...must enjoy the view too I figured.

Then we see this full blown trophy truck blasting up the hill....comes to a stop next to us. His right fender is ripped to shreds, fiberglass just sticking out.

I point at that and he says, "Oh yeah, that just happened. I go through a few fenders every month in a good month!"

Hey...sh*t happens, don't let a little scratch get you down. :ride:

Those little scratches will fix right up!

·
Helitack
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm trying had not to pick on you. I'm not replacing any plastic till it breaks and falls off.
I knew when I posted this I was going to get some sh*t for it. I know I have a problem (mentally). If I would not been the one who screw it up I don't think I would be so upset. Just everytime I look at it I get pissed at myself.

·
◄►STARS & STRIPES◄►
3,832 Posts
I'm trying had not to pick on you. I'm not replacing any plastic till it breaks and falls off.
I knew when I posted this I was going to get some sh*t for it. I know I have a problem (mentally). If I would not been the one who screw it up I don't think I would be so upset. Just everytime I look at it I get pissed at myself.
Fireman "like shiny RZR"
Firemen "like shiny Fire Trucks"
Its all good, whatever floats your boat... I too used to detail cars...I was a anal picky ba$tard about everything... Eventually the scratches wore me down. I can see how a big white scuff like that would drive you a little nuts... But dont spend a grand for something like that...chances are, its going to happen again. The painting advice was great, but im not sure if thats more scratch (deep simple fix) as it looks like a just plain nasty large scuff, thats going to require some cutting and polishing on top of paint.. Either way..

x2 on the fix it, posted by RZRtheRoof

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
i know what would happen if i fixed a few scratches like that. I'd spend a few hundred dollars getting it perfect, then probably run into a tree or something the very next day.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Here is a picture of what I am faced with. I am not a paint and body guy but, I am willing to try. I have both the Polaris touch up paint and the spray paint for sunset red. Do you think its repairable?
If you have a critical eye, you can repair it to like-new, but only with the right tools and procedure. Simply touching up the scratches will look like they simply were touched up.

Aside from what I mentioned above, I'd first buff that area out to tell completely what is clearcoat and what is basecoat. Scuffed clear shows white, as if you went through, when in reality it's could be a deeper clear scratch. In that event, if you hit the mark with some 2000 grit wet sandpaper, then buff out to smooth, you can remove the mark without touching it up.

The mark where black shows clearly is to the primer/plastic, so this would be an area to use touch-up paint and the Langka kit to keep it even before buffing the area.

Autopia offers probably the best how-to and source for learning about buffing with random orbital polishers: How to Machine Polish your Car's Paint - Remove Defects like Scratches, Swirl and Oxidation.

Finally, I do agree with jmattor--don't let a scratch bring you down. I'm pretty particular about my finishes, but a scratch on the Rzr is not like a scratch on the Adrenalin. One's going to get them no matter how carefully I drive it. :) Just hit it with a buffer every 6 or 12 months and it'll look like new. (I washed and buffed mine after about 9 months of riding.)

·
Helitack
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I knew when I posted this I was going to get some sh*t for it. I know I have a problem (mentally). If I would not been the one who screw it up I don't think I would be so upset. Just every time I look at it I get pissed at myself.
Fireman "like shiny RZR"
Fireman "likes Shiny Helicopter"
IMG_1765croped.jpg
This is my work ride.

·
Helitack
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all of your input. I think I will try making it look better following the info RzrTheRoof posted. Hey it's worth a shot and it won't cost much.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Let us know how it works. Myself, I have to tell myself to just get over it. Having had my rzr for a year now, and being the sort that prefers trails, if I wanted to fix the stuff that was badly scratched and dinged I'd need new wheels, all new plastic, and a new roll cage. Other that that not a visable mark on it.....

·
Registered
302 Posts
replace, paint doesnt last
Is it just aftermarket paint that doesn't last, or does the factory paint on the LE's and "S" rzrs that doesn't last. I've thought that at some point when mine gets really bad I'll probably try and re-paint it, provided of course that the plastic is still serviceable. The black plastic trim pieces are really scratched up on mine already too. At some point I think I'll try bedliner coating on it, and see if that holds up at all.

·
Boats and ***s
3,184 Posts
replace, paint doesnt last
Is it just aftermarket paint that doesn't last, or does the factory paint on the LE's and "S" rzrs that doesn't last. I've thought that at some point when mine gets really bad I'll probably try and re-paint it, provided of course that the plastic is still serviceable. The black plastic trim pieces are really scratched up on mine already too. At some point I think I'll try bedliner coating on it, and see if that holds up at all.
i painted my red plastics, and it ended up chipping off... but then again i took it to earl scieb and supposedly they prepped it correctly. i wasted 230.:rollfinger:

·
Registered
995 Posts
If it chipped off, it sounds like they did not add flex agent or adequately remove the oils from the dyed plastic parts.

A Rzr that already has a painted finish is much, much easier to paint because that prep work has been done. Only thing you need to do is paint with a little flex additive, clear, buff out, and be done.

·
Boats and ***s
3,184 Posts
If it chipped off, it sounds like they did not add flex agent or adequately remove the oils from the dyed plastic parts.

A Rzr that already has a painted finish is much, much easier to paint because that prep work has been done. Only thing you need to do is paint with a little flex additive, clear, buff out, and be done.
they said they did. and it did last for a good time... till i went and did hard pack riding and rocks hit the plastic and chipped the paint, and slowly the paint peeled back :(

·
◄►STARS & STRIPES◄►
3,832 Posts
I knew when I posted this I was going to get some sh*t for it. I know I have a problem (mentally). If I would not been the one who screw it up I don't think I would be so upset. Just every time I look at it I get pissed at myself.
Fireman "like shiny RZR"
Fireman "likes Shiny Helicopter"
View attachment 19886
This is my work ride.
NICE!! Ive been in countless UH-60's (blackhawks) Ch-47's(Chinooks) MH-53 (PAV LOWs) & only a few MH-6 little Birds (only when Delta bailed us out a few times), But I cant imagine that as your "work ride" Ive had a good life, I feel lucky, Everyday you get to ride one of those is a gift! I would have loved to go warrent and head to flight school in Alabama, but once the Military spends all that money on you and your locked into spec missions & can speak Arabic..That option just went away! When I get out and fly now, This is what I play around in!! Im selling it now, Someones going to be happy, Im selling it for 4K up here in Alaska! This thing is a blast, Ive even got Floats..Dr. says no more flying for me!!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts