Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
I just had to use the two vise grip and slide hammer method shown in the video, worked great.

But that got me thinking how are guys removing a stuck axle cup in the field? Don’t want to carry 2 vise grips and a slide hammer in the tool kit. I have Rhino 2.0 axles and one side pulled the cv joint out so I thought no big deal, I’ll remove the other side and then knock the other one out thru the spool. The axle on the other side did the same thing. Kinda stuck when you have empty cups on both sides. I do anti sieze them but we ride a lot of water and it doesn’t seem to last. Im going to try Amsoil waterproof grease this time.

Anyone got creative with smaller, lighter trail side tools?

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
IME, if the axle comes apart in that manner, the cup is too stuck to worry about in the field and it's time to limp back to the trailer.

I keep an outer stub in the tool box to replace the broken axle so I can get the wheel mounted and be able to limp back to the trailer.

Once back to the trailer, I have the slide hammer and all the other tools to get the stuck cup out and replace the axle. This also allows me to keep the weight of two spare axles off the RZR as the outer stub can be used on any corner.

I know you go solo further and more remote than most, so this might not be the best solution (ie. carrying more and heavier tools might be less of an issue than a ruined hunt).

·
Registered
908 Posts
Remove the axles a couple of times a year (depending on how much you ride) clean the splines, coat them with anti seize and you will never have another stuck axle.
Most are too lazy for that but they have time to get on here and complain that they can't get their axles out. :rolleyes:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts