Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
965 Posts
I was in a hurry a couple of weeks ago since I had to leave to go riding in about 15 minutes so I didn't have time to remove the A-arm and I just removed the wheel, lower shock bolt, hooked a ratchet tie down to the upper arm, removed the lower a-arm pinch bolt, layed the lower arm on a big block of wood, hit the worn out ball joint a couple of licks with a hammer and it popped right out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
A vise, hammer and two half inch drive sockets. Mine is a Rzr 800.
1. take off the control arms .. no plastic removal needed.... working on the bench is so much easier. (tip: upper bolt stays on machine) Remove c-clip.
2. Use the appropriate size socket to go over the top of ball joint.In my case it was 1 5/16, Smack it on the rubber side with a hammer. You are throwing it in the garbage,dont worry about the method.
3. Clean up the A-frame and start the new ball joint in straight.
4. Sandwich the ball joint and frame between a scrap of hardwood and a 1 7/8 Socket in the Vise. The flat top of ball joint is pushing against hardwood. The socket is pushing against a-frame not ball joint. No damage no hammer, no trouble.
5. Freezing parts first does help..
(by the way I rented a ball joint tool... Perfect for a Mack truck maybe but useless on a Rzr.)

·
Registered
9 Posts
1. take off the control arms .. no plastic removal needed.... working on the bench is so much easier. (tip: upper bolt stays on machine) Remove c-clip.
2. Use the appropriate size socket to go over the top of ball joint.In my case it was 1 5/16, Smack it on the rubber side with a hammer. You are throwing it in the garbage,dont worry about the method.
4. Sandwich the ball joint and frame between a scrap of hardwood and a 1 7/8 Socket in the Vise. The flat top of ball joint is pushing against hardwood. The socket is pushing against a-frame not ball joint. No damage no hammer, no trouble.
(by the way I rented a ball joint tool... Perfect for a Mack truck maybe but useless on a Rzr.)
I goofed.. the socket sizes are reversed The largest one is for removing with tap of hammer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts