Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new here. I have a Turbo S .I hear about people talking of removing the anti sway bars on their cars. Why?

·
Vandal
752 Posts
To let the suspension articulate like it was designed to. Much better for trail riding and rock crawling. Sway bars limit your suspension travel and are needed for flat tracking but not for trailing. You will have to get used to your machine after removing the bars. It will feel very tippy until you realize that it can be controlled. Sharp turns will have to be made at slower speeds. Your ride will improve a lot without the bars also

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
Removing the sway bar had been the conventional wisdom for a long time. However, this is not the case anymore and removing the sway bar will not only hurt high speed performance but also slow crawling. The issue is body roll in these scenarios. A better solution is to use Walker Evans sway bar links. We used on all four corners it allows fantastic articulation but keeps body roll in check. In high speed performance the use of sway bars are obvious. What is not so obvious it the benefit for rock crawling or extreme trail riding. In an off camber situation they greatly reduced the amount of body roll that tends to cause a roll over.

My main thing is crawling and extreme trails. In the past I would always remove the sway bars for maximum articulation. After a lot of research, with XPT4 I went a different route. I added Shock Therapy springs and WE links to all four corners. The articulation is fantastic and I can still run twisty high speed runs faster than I want to go without excessive body. Off camber situations are much more solid feeling. It's the best of both worlds.

Look at rock buggies and KOH cars and you'll notice most all of them run away bars.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
I pulled the front sway bar completely off my 17 Turbo and it has been sitting in the garage collecting dust of over a year. I will never put it back on.

For trail riding, I pull the drivers side link off the rear. I very rarely hook it back up. The dunes is about the only time. I am getting ready to give Walker Links a try in the back though. Hoping that leaves it freed up enough that I won't have to disconnect it any more.

Like Joe said, just about all rock buggies run sway bars but the torsional spring rate is properly set up to still allow the suspension to function. A stock Turbo with both front and rear sway bars connected articulates VERY poorly. If you do feel the need to leave both front and rear bars on, I would highly recommend Walker Links on all 4 corners like he did.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Also meant to add, it is more than just articulation for crawling. Your ride through uneven terrain is drastically improved. I would definitely try removing a link on the front and testing. If that feels like too much body roll you can invest in Walker Links.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Because I have seen too many front tires up in the air either in a mudhole or trying to get over a hump because of the sway bar. If that front tire is in the air, you are not getting traction from it. And sometimes you need it.

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
Like Joe said, just about all rock buggies run sway bars but the torsional spring rate is properly set up to still allow the suspension to function.
I should have noted that I run very soft springs and the shocks are set to the softest possible setting.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have always removed the torsion bars for crawling, but felt uncomfortable at times because of the body roll. Now with the S, and the dynamix I have found the that putting it in sport mode almost eliminates body roll.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Like Joe said, just about all rock buggies run sway bars but the torsional spring rate is properly set up to still allow the suspension to function.
I should have noted that I run very soft springs and the shocks are set to the softest possible setting.
I was referring to the rate of the sway bars. The stock rear sway bar 450 lbs/in which is pretty stiff. The front is 138 lbs/in. Those two combined together is way too much to allow the suspension to properly articulate without the help of the Walker Links.

Z-Broz is the only one that did the replacement sway bar right IMO seeing as it allows you to lighten the rate up from stock. I have never been able to find actual numbers on their bar though to see how much you can bring the rate down. Their bar with Walker Links would be ideal IMO.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I’m running Eibach springs on my 16xpt4 with the front sway bar removed. I ride in the dunes and am able to out drive my buddies with higher HP machines

Sent from my iPhone using RZRForums.net

·
Registered
43 Posts
Removing the sway bar had been the conventional wisdom for a long time. However, this is not the case anymore and removing the sway bar will not only hurt high speed performance but also slow crawling. The issue is body roll in these scenarios. A better solution is to use Walker Evans sway bar links. We used on all four corners it allows fantastic articulation but keeps body roll in check. In high speed performance the use of sway bars are obvious. What is not so obvious it the benefit for rock crawling or extreme trail riding. In an off camber situation they greatly reduced the amount of body roll that tends to cause a roll over.

My main thing is crawling and extreme trails. In the past I would always remove the sway bars for maximum articulation. After a lot of research, with XPT4 I went a different route. I added Shock Therapy springs and WE links to all four corners. The articulation is fantastic and I can still run twisty high speed runs faster than I want to go without excessive body. Off camber situations are much more solid feeling. It's the best of both worlds.

Look at rock buggies and KOH cars and you'll notice most all of them run away bars.
Picked up a set of Walker Evans rear links from Rocky Mountain ATV and tried to put them on my 2019 Turbo S, not sure if something is missing, but the gap from the top bolt over to the sway bar was over an inch long. I could have put a clamp on and squeezed it over to get the nut on the bolt, but it would have never made contact with the inside spacer when tightened up, not to mention home much of a bind it would have been in. Are they supposed to have a spacer to fill this void that I just didn't receive?

·
Premium Member
494 Posts

Picked up a set of Walker Evans rear links from Rocky Mountain ATV and tried to put them on my 2019 Turbo S, not sure if something is missing, but the gap from the top bolt over to the sway bar was over an inch long. I could have put a clamp on and squeezed it over to get the nut on the bolt, but it would have never made contact with the inside spacer when tightened up, not to mention home much of a bind it would have been in. Are they supposed to have a spacer to fill this void that I just didn't receive?

Can you provide a photo of what you describe above?

·
Registered
916 Posts
KOH and Rock buggies have highly tuned suspensions and tuned sway bars while I agree the Walker links are the way to go pulling the pin on the rear sway and removing the front on a rzr has a lot of benefits and is a cheap improvement for crawling and slow trail riding

Sent from my iPhone using RZRForums.net

·
Registered
555 Posts
I disconnected my rear sway bar and what an improvement. Ordered the walker links and have not had a chance to try it out yet. Hope to soon.

·
Registered
3,918 Posts

They are model specific, call WE and check fitment for the '19 model. The mis-alignment spacers and stroke are probably different than previous years.

·
Registered
43 Posts

They are model specific, call WE and check fitment for the '19 model. The mis-alignment spacers and stroke are probably different than previous years.

Here is what I was looking at.
Spoke with WE, and he mentioned there should be a bushing kit with it, specific to the Turbo S, but was not included. They are sending one out to me to get the problem corrected. He also recommended I flip the shock around when installing with the new bushing kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,918 Posts

Here is what I was looking at.
Spoke with WE, and he mentioned there should be a bushing kit with it, specific to the Turbo S, but was not included. They are sending one out to me to get the problem corrected. He also recommended I flip the shock around when installing with the new bushing kit.

Glad they got you fixed up. By flipping the link so the body is the top it will give you more side to side movement. It will also prevent the body from hitting the mounting tabs on the trailing arms. Probably would work if you flipped them using the existing hardware.

·
Registered
43 Posts
He mentioned the other way around like the picture I have, to prevent the shock body from getting pinched in the trailing arm tabs. I have mine installed with some washers until I get the correct spacers...

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
He mentioned the other way around like the picture I have, to prevent the shock body from getting pinched in the trailing arm tabs. I have mine installed with some washers until I get the correct spacers...

You got it, had to the same with my Special Carriers Trailing arms.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts