Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Starting a thread on modifications that actually reduce engine noise for the driver & passengers. My goal is to reduce engine noise in general and be able to listen to stereo at reasonable volumes vs cranking up the stereo and drowning out the engine.

I did some "rough" testing with a decibel meter and some towels/blankets to see if it actually did anything before I purchase and/or fabricate more items for RZR. I used the meter and measured as is, then with the center rear covered(like the wolfsnout heat kit), then covered up the sides, then added a tarp to simulate a rear window.

Center Covered
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Car Automotive design

Sides Covered
Motor vehicle Product Automotive design Bag Luggage and bags

"Back Window"
Outerwear Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Vehicle

Initial Reading at higher RPM
Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Mode of transport Steering wheel

Final Reading at High RPM
Window Vehicle Motor vehicle Gps navigation device Automotive tire

Here's what I found
  1. Idle - noticed a difference with each step and definitely reduced some of the higher pitches
  2. ~3000 RPM - I noticed a difference with each step, it seemed much quieter, and definitely reduced some of the higher pitches
  3. ~5500-5800 RPM -- I noticed a considerable difference from beginning to end, it was much quieter, and definitely reduced some of the higher pitches.
    1. Nothing - 90.3 db
    2. Center - like wolfsnout - 88.3 db
    3. +Sides - 87.8 db
    4. +"Rear Window" - 86 db

There was a 4.3 Decibel reduction overall from beginning to end at higher RPMs, seems minor but every 3 db is either a doubling or halving of sound energy, and I definitely noticed it so I will be adding insulation to the rear seat panel, a rear window, and finding something to fill in the side gaps. I'll update this post with before and after readings after I add each item.

If there's anything else you've done that has helped, please add to this post. Also.. if you could use a Decibel meter for before and after it will help to quantify the difference, they're only $20 on amazon.

· Registered
389 Posts

· Registered
2022 RZR Pro XP4
709 Posts
Yea, adding coms is the easiest way a d makes a huge difference, but even so I have been thinking about some sort of blanket sound deadener between the rear wall and seats, definitely something fireproof or at least fire resistant though....
Thinking, some kind of hooks to hang it and grommets in the blanket to hold it in place, but make it easy to remove to wash as it will definitely absorb a crap ton of dust....

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I should have mentioned, I understand a headset/coms is a solution but I'm not interested in going that route. I'm just looking to reduce engine noise as much as possible.

· Premium Member
2021 PRO XP ULTIMATE, 2015 XP1000. Sold 2013 800s LE, 2015 XP1000
973 Posts

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

· Registered
1,251 Posts
Starting a thread on modifications that actually reduce engine noise for the driver & passengers. My goal is to reduce engine noise in general and be able to listen to stereo at reasonable volumes vs cranking up the stereo and drowning out the engine.
I'd like to reduce the engine noise inside my cab too. And, I don't want to wear a headset, earplugs, etc. either. I bought some generic sound deadening/heat shield matting on Amazon for the console tunnel and the rear cab wall for both heat and sound. But, I haven't installed it yet.

I also want to reduce the sound levels outside the cab to keep the neighbors happy and our trails open. I've been looking at the HMF Twin Loop Exhaust for $1K. They claim it's 8-10 dB quieter than stock. They have a video. But, I can't tell much difference in loudness. I want to see it on a decibel meter. So, I've been dragging my feet to find someone who's actually bought the system and can back their claim.

· Registered
754 Posts
I too would enjoy to lower the noise inside the cab I have a back window and I feel like it did reduce some Noise very slightly. I would be more interested in something that insulates the back plastics as well as insulating the center console. I don't notice as much heat as most say so the heat isn't as big an issue but i would enjoy listening to music and talking at a reasonable volume while riding.

· Registered
2022 RZR Pro XP4
709 Posts
I also want to reduce the sound levels outside the cab to keep the neighbors happy and our trails open. I've been looking at the HMF Twin Loop Exhaust for $1K. They claim it's 8-10 dB quieter than stock. They have a video. But, I can't tell much difference in loudness. I want to see it on a decibel meter. So, I've been dragging my feet to find someone who's actually bought the system and can back their claim.
I don't see the twin loop system available for any turbo rzr.
I have seen someone simply add a second cheap muffler behind the first which was reported to help a bunch.
The biggest issue with these is simply lack of exhaust system length, and lack of material between the engine and "outside". For interior cab noise, all the flat metal surfaces don't help. Adding boat decking or other similar foam type material to the roof and doors, as well as insulation of some type between the engine and passenger compartment will make a big difference.

· Registered
11 Posts
I bought a used 2021 Trail S 1000 with the ride command and stereo. It had a full cab kit on it and I could not hear the stereo as the Rpm's went up.
I took the seats out and covered the back with Luxury liner sheets from Second Skin and covered the inside of the roof and under the dash with Damplifier Deadening mats also from second Skin.I also bought the Wulf Snout cool cab kit.
All that did make a difference but cant eliminate all the noise, but its an improvement , but it wasn't cheap

1 - 20 of 75 Posts