Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK... I'm pretty type A. I actually just watched the Polaris video that came with the RZR. I realize that video was half marketing and half CYA for liability.

Two things that struck me as odd..

1) Max water depth without damaging clutch or getting water into intake... bottom of floorpan. Wow... I had really hoped to be OK in water that was 12 to 16" deep. Are they serious about this? I'd like to go over Stony Pass in Colorado, and there is a water crossing at the headwaters of the Rio Grande that is 12 to 16 depending on rain and runoff. What is the danger to the clutch assy?

2) Maximum incline of 15 degrees? I'm pretty sure my daughter's Barbi Jeep is rated for that.

Can anyone provide me with reasonably safe water depth information?

Tnx...

·
Registered
876 Posts
With my stock RZR (no snorkles) I start thnking about water intake when my crotch starts to get wet. I know I'm good until my beltline, then I start to worry. No problems so far. The intakes are about armpit high when sitting in the seat so... Get a 2" lift and crank up the preload, that will gain you a few more inches too. Of course U can snork everything and not worry about it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
That's good to know about the water line. I had some concerns here as well. As far as 15 degrees of slope goes, I'm sure that's CYA.

I've had my RZR for about 250 miles now. I'm not sure about the degrees of slope, but I've gone up hills and slopes that I didn't have the balls for when I first got it. I wouldn't let the 15 degrees concern me.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Inclines? Are you serious? Bone stock with nothing on it we took a rzr to Harlan and was doing stuff well over 30 degrees without issues at all(sometimes in 2wd low)

Water: the above is right. Start worrying when you dip your tires in and they go bye bye and you still don't feel bottom(you better back out) level ground water.... crotch dampening, waist line is about as deep as you want to go. you can go deeper if you creep through instead of hauling ass as you won't cause swirling and splashing around the engine bay behind you. I plan on snorkeling up to the bottom bar just for added protection.........AND FUN :D

·
Warranty Voider
355 Posts
Here is a shot off the trails I rode this weekend - it's a little over 15 degrees, but we had no problems. :)
I can't speak for water depth, so I'm taking notes from this thread.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Shooter, I've been in water plenty of times that was up to mr johnson with no problems. Keep in mind when you put your clutch cover on always tighten the bottom screws first. Some will recomend a little bit of marine grease around the edge and screw holes. As for hill climbs. I've done hills in the rzr that I wouldn't try on my quad. Just use common sence and ride to your skill level.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Haven't done any deep water crossings, yet but I've climbed some really steep trails, I'm sure better than 15 degrees. Just make sure that the trail goes all the way to the top or that there's a place to turn around if needed. I don't know how far you can lean one over and I don't want to be the first to find out.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmmmm.....sounds as though the belt cover and seal is not made to seal against water. I suspect that as long as I don't keep the belt housing submerged, it will not be a problem to do brief submergence of the housing cover. As long as the intake stays dry :)

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Hmmmm.....sounds as though the belt cover and seal is not made to seal against water. I suspect that as long as I don't keep the belt housing submerged, it will not be a problem to do brief submergence of the housing cover. As long as the intake stays dry :)
I've had the rzr upto the seats in water for more than a few minutes and didn't have one instance of slippage... I did however have slippage when did this

Water rushed back and up into the engine bay and went into either the belt intake or exhaust tube and got the belt wet. let it sit for about 5 minutes and then slowly got it up to speed and did a few high speed runs with it so it would try the inside out and it was good to go.

·
Registered
633 Posts
If the belt gets wet just rev er up in neutral a bit to spin it dry then give er hell!

I go in water until my ass gets wet and have no problems. I've never had a wet belt yet.

When it comes to hills 15 degrees is for power wheels and fisher price. I hit inclines as much as 45 degrees and love it. Going down even faster is a blast. It's like a roller coaster. Just use common sense!

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
the rzr will climb pretty steep inclines, i have been up hills once that i would probably not do again. but dont be scared to get out the winch, rather be safe than sorry. labor day weekend we were out with 3 rzrs and two wheelers. two of us went up in rzrs, my dad made it on his renegade, the third rzr bowed out, and the last wheeler tried and ended up in the er getting his chin sewed up. if we had to do it again winches would have been used. lesson learned

as for water,,,

i am snorkled, but it is noisier with everything by your ear. another downfall is everyone will want "YOU" to check the depth.

·
rzrs24
775 Posts
Check superatv video's on youtube. they will give a real good idea what to try and not to try. although some stuff they make look easy, just takes nuts, or stupidity whatever you prefer.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Just snorkeled mine for security, as I was washing my rims out at the sand pit or mud pit at mud stock last weekend and went a little beyond pecker deep and drowned it out. I would recommend a good snorkel job to anyone to save a few thousand dollar motor.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Check superatv video's on youtube. they will give a real good idea what to try and not to try. although some stuff they make look easy, just takes nuts, or stupidity whatever you prefer.
From my dirt bike days it went like this. It took balls if you pull it off and it was stupid if you don't. Simple rule of life.

·
rzrs24
775 Posts
From my dirt bike days it went like this. It took balls if you pull it off and it was stupid if you don't. Simple rule of life.
Ha ha! ur exactly right. ive been both. i found a good video, gonna try to post it. not sure how.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts