Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 polaris rzr xp turbo that I am getting some play in both rear wheels when I have the machine jacked up and grab each wheel at the 12 and 6 o'clock position. I have replaced both wheel bearings and even a heim joint. What else could be causing this play? Should I be concerned about it? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My upper rear radius rods are stock and my lowers are highlifter high clearance which are maybe a year old so it's probably the uppers is my guess. It's hard to tell exactly where the play is coming from though. And I currently don't have a tool that measures the torque in lbs of the hub nut but I put it on tight lol. What is the torque supposed to be?

·
Standard Vendor
1,513 Posts
180 seems high for wheel bearings. If you have their older style radius rods that have the plastic bushings they wear out really fast and you will have play in the rod.
Regards,

·
Standard Vendor
1,513 Posts
This happens because the bolts were loose. You need to drill them out and weld in 12mm threaded bungs. This will fix the issue permanently or you can replace the plate.

https://www.performancesxsbushings.com/product-page/4130-chrome-molly-weld-in-frame-bung
Yea, only way to go, we use Hess's and they make it so much easier to prep between races. No more trying to get my fat fingers behind the plate to put the nuts on, lol.
If you go that route start with fresh bolts and make sure you use thread locking compound.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Pretty sure I torque mine to 110 lb-ft. 180 is more than a lot of car and truck bearings call for. I could be way off here, but so far I’ve had no problems.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the info! I will go with either the bungs or the Keller route to fix the egg holes. However, after I tightened the lower bolts I still noticed play at the hub. Is it possible that the hub is worn out too? (when I grabbed ahold of the axle and pulled in on it the play would stop--I'm running rhino 2.0 axles)

·
Registered
480 Posts
180 seems high for wheel bearings. If you have their older style radius rods that have the plastic bushings they wear out really fast and you will have play in the rod.
Regards,
Polaris calls for 180ft/lbs on machines such as the turbo s in the service manual. Then again they also list 110 and 180 contracting themselves in other service manuals such as for the XP1000.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My 2018 xp1000 factory manual calls for 180 lbs
I have grrased bearings twice now and torque to recommended spec. I have had no problems as of yet

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same machine and I tighten mine to 180ft lb with no issues at all. I also have a 2016 xp1000 same type of bearing in it that never had the cotter key installed from the factory. It came loose before I caught it and ruined the bearing and hub but after looking at the bearing they have 2 inner races that contact each other so you have to torque them down tight. If the hub is loose but the axle nut is tight it’s time for new bearings.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
If your machine has the upgraded single thick axle washer then 180 is fine. However if it has two thin washer use 120. The thin washers will concave around the castle nut at 180 and make removing them damn hard.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have 2 washers behind each castle axle nut and the manual said to torque to 110 ft/lbs and the lug nuts to 120 ft/lbs which I did with a torque wrench. I also removed the hubs and inspected with my brand new Tusk wheel bearings that were already pressed in and saw no obvious signs of wear on the hub or bearing. The bearings spun smoothly inside as well. The splines on both the rhino 2.0 axles and the hub look good too. With the wheel attached or not there is play when I grabbed and wiggle the hub. The upper stock radius rods do seem to be wearing a little at the bushing end behind the rear plate but if I grab it and hold it still, there is still play at the hub. What exactly is going on when the hub looks fine?

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Radius rods are wore out. Stock radius rods are not serviceable. Get a quality unit with serviceable bushings on the inside link and hiems on the outer. NRP makes a quality product at a fair price.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks RzrJoe! While I do believe that the upper radius rod bushings are getting worn out, even after I replace them I still think I will get the same play at the hub. Check out this video I attached https://youtu.be/NDSK2oig19k. Do you think it may be something else?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts