Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
@rzrhle Any issues yet? I think I’m going to do this come fall, wonder if there’s an easier/cleaner way to secure the stainless tube to the shock body?

·
Registered
2009 rzr 800 converted to S width , WE shocks , 3 inch lift
542 Posts
Super important to take care of your shocks by keeping them clean. I know guys who have completely wore through the Fox shock bodies on their machines. It’s crazy what dirt will do. Washing the dirt out or installing protective covers will just about stop your problem. Shock bodies can be expensive. Price a Fox Dynamix 3.0 and it will hurt your feelings. Lol

Unfortunately I don’t know of any manufacture who really takes east coast conditions into consideration when building these machines.

Sent from my iPhone using RZRForums.net
You should see what volcanic ash and glacier silt does to machines in Alaska...

·
Registered
2014 RZR XP1000
1,425 Posts

·
Registered
1,737 Posts

·
Registered
2014 RZR XP1000
1,425 Posts
I only did the rear. I don’t remember the exact size I used but I had to expand it to make it work.
Ok so 4ft is only for the rear.
Why didn't you do the front?
& What did you use to expand it?

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Ok.
So it is 4 feet for all the shock's rear's and front's?
And is this the right stuff?
[/URL][/URL]
Ok so 4ft is only for the rear.
Why didn't you do the front?
& What did you use to expand it?
My front shock bodies wear very little so they are not much of a concern to me. My rears were almost worn thru so I had to do something . I used bearing drifts and a HF press to expand the pipe. It was a trial and error thing. The memory of the pipe was crazy so I kept moving up in size until I got the pipe expanded to where I needed it. I found that by heating the pipe while I pushed the drifts thru decreased the memory some and it made it easier.

Renember, this was just me playing Mcguyver trying to come up with a quick solution to save my shocks.

To date the fix has served me well. My shocks would have been long gone by now if I didn’t get them protected

·
Registered
2014 RZR XP1000
1,425 Posts
My front shock bodies wear very little so they are not much of a concern to me. My rears were almost worn thru so I had to do something . I used bearing drifts and a HF press to expand the pipe. It was a trial and error thing. The memory of the pipe was crazy so I kept moving up in size until I got the pipe expanded to where I needed it. I found that by heating the pipe while I pushed the drifts thru decreased the memory some and it made it easier.

Renember, this was just me playing Mcguyver trying to come up with a quick solution to save my shocks.

To date the fix has served me well. My shocks would have been long gone by now if I didn’t get them protected

View attachment 677342
Should I do it before my shocks are close to be worn through? Or should I do it when there is minimal wear? My RZR has roughly 2500 miles on it so the wear isn't that bad but I did notice that the front on mine has more wear then the rear.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Should I do it before my shocks are close to be worn through? Or should I do it when there is minimal wear? My RZR has roughly 2500 miles on it so the wear isn't that bad but I did notice that the front on mine has more wear then the rear. View attachment 677343 View attachment 677344
Your front looks like mine and I don’t think that’s bad enough to worry with. It’s your call on the rear. I had a buddy wear completely thru his rear shocks and I knew it was just a matter of time for me so I took care of it.. as mine sits now, I just smile at the rub marks because the stainless doesn’t care - and bodies are protected

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I got pricing today on the bodies.

From Walker Evans, stock 2.5 replacement bodies are $195 ea + $20 ea for seal kits for a DIY replacement. A little extra if they install a new needle in the body prior to shipping.

ST will install a steel shock body(will not sell separate) at a cost of $195 per shock body and $125 cost of rebuild per shock, $610 total.

Stainless tubing is a lot cheaper than both of those options.

·
Registered
2014 RZR XP1000
1,425 Posts
Your front looks like mine and I don’t think that’s bad enough to worry with. It’s your call on the rear. I had a buddy wear completely thru his rear shocks and I knew it was just a matter of time for me so I took care of it.. as mine sits now, I just smile at the rub marks because the stainless doesn’t care - and bodies are protected
View attachment 677357
Probably should do it.
I think I will do the rear and the front just to be safe.
I will probably do it a little bit later, I have some other stuff for the RZR right now but I plenty of time they an't wearing though any time soon.
But by the time the stainless steel wears thro the RZR will be to a different owner.
Dose the stainless steel tubing get in the way of doing shock rebuilds?

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
As long it doesn’t cover the bottom 1/4” of the body where the dust cap is then it will not be in the way of rebuilding.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts