Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
20201204_185228.jpg
20201204_185228.jpg
20201204_185220.jpg
20201204_185208.jpg
Greetings,

I recently purchased a used 2021 RZR XP 1000 Premium (~360 miles) and noticed the plastic piece that separates the two springs in the rear shock was slightly crooked and showed a little wear onto the shock body. Hopefully the pictures will make more sense. Is this something normal? If not, any solutions? Does the larger spring need rotated? Less Preload?

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
242 Posts
the wear always seems to happen. but your springs are not aligned. the ends of the springs need to 180 degrees apart, as in on opposite sides on the divider. that will keep it straighter on the shock body minimizing the wear. that and keep it clean of dirt and mud.

·
GPS GURU
429 Posts
Easy tip... when you rotate the springs to the correct “clocking” mark them both with a sharpie so you know everything is cool at a glance every time you wash the car. ( I know I may be anal about it but I wash ours after every trip, it gives me a chance to give it a once over and inspect for damage before it gets to the point of a breakdown)

·
Registered
'18 XPT
2,295 Posts
exactly was quadfather said. buy some shock outerwraps, clean them, including inside the divider, and it’ll be over

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
Easy tip... when you rotate the springs to the correct “clocking” mark them both with a sharpie so you know everything is cool at a glance every time you wash the car. ( I know I may be anal about it but I wash ours after every trip, it gives me a chance to give it a once over and inspect for damage before it gets to the point of a breakdown) View attachment 662346
You'll need to jack it up and get the suspension hanging at full extension.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Super important to take care of your shocks by keeping them clean. I know guys who have completely wore through the Fox shock bodies on their machines. It’s crazy what dirt will do. Washing the dirt out or installing protective covers will just about stop your problem. Shock bodies can be expensive. Price a Fox Dynamix 3.0 and it will hurt your feelings. Lol

Unfortunately I don’t know of any manufacture who really takes east coast conditions into consideration when building these machines.

Sent from my iPhone using RZRForums.net

·
Registered
76 Posts
I agree with everyone who posted. I have ST springs that are clocked correctly but still see wear on the shock body. I ordered some 6” wide by .020 thick adhesive backed Teflon from Amazon, received it today, and plan on wrapping the shock body below the cross overs. I’ll post either way if works or not.

·
Registered
76 Posts
My plan was to wrap the shock body one time, I ended up wrapping it 3x and clocked the springs. It took up enough of a gap that it looks like my springs won’t contact the cross over which is a bonus. ( the cross overs we’re getting hammered from the springs).
I cleaned the shock body throughly, warmed it with a heat gun and had the roll of tape above my heater. It seems to stick very well.
I’ll update after I take it out this week.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone for the replies. I greased the wheel bearings today and then clockeded the springs 180 degrees from each other as was suggested. I'll keep an eye on it and make sure they stay clean. I'll have to look into the wraps or the Teflon tape.

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
My plan was to wrap the shock body one time, I ended up wrapping it 3x and clocked the springs. It took up enough of a gap that it looks like my springs won’t contact the cross over which is a bonus. ( the cross overs we’re getting hammered from the springs).
I cleaned the shock body throughly, warmed it with a heat gun and had the roll of tape above my heater. It seems to stick very well.
I’ll update after I take it out this week.
Can you post a link to the teflon?

·
Registered
'18 XPT
2,295 Posts
FYI, I have no wear on mine, and I'm using crossovers. I keep mine clean and have custom made wraps on them. (very tall springs)

·
Registered
76 Posts
I had my machine out for a couple hours yesterday. I made it a point to get it wet and muddy then did my usual washing afterwards. The Teflon seems fine, hasn’t peeled and doesn’t seem like it’s worn at all ( granted it was only used for a couple hours). But it looks promising.
I think RZHLE has the better set up using stainless, Dafish said he has his covered and that he has no issues.
I’ll update again after I get more hours on it.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Look really good.
A couple of questions. How do you secure the pipe to the shock body? Also ,what are the specs of the pipe?
Sorry for the delay but I missed your post somehow. I could Not find the exact specs to fit but this was the closest thing I could find and then I had to expand it by about a millimeter to slide it over the shock body. I had to drive the sleeve on so it’s somewhat of a press fit but I also welded a nut and usiing a bolt for a set screw to ensure it stays in place. Once I tightened down the bolt Until tell it dug into the shock threads, I then grinded it all down enough to clear the tender spring. Ugly, but it’s not seen. 400 miles now and no issues.
4B4F6BAB-180F-40CB-AFD0-176AC483C54A.png

• Material: Made of High Quality T-304 Stainless Steel
  • Raw Surface
  • Type: Straight
  • Outsider Diameter: 2.5"/63mm
  • Thickness: 0.05"/1.2mm
  • Length: 4FT/1.2

·
Premium Member
3,827 Posts
@dafish
FYI, I have no wear on mine, and I'm using crossovers. I keep mine clean and have custom made wraps on them. (very tall springs)
Can we get a few good pics and details on the custom made shock wraps ?

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Sorry for the delay but I missed your post somehow. I could Not find the exact specs to fit but this was the closest thing I could find and then I had to expand it by about a millimeter to slide it over the shock body. I had to drive the sleeve on so it’s somewhat of a press fit but I also welded a nut and usiing a bolt for a set screw to ensure it stays in place. Once I tightened down the bolt Until tell it dug into the shock threads, I then grinded it all down enough to clear the tender spring. Ugly, but it’s not seen. 400 miles now and no issues. View attachment 662819
  • Material: Made of High Quality T-304 Stainless Steel
  • Raw Surface
  • Type: Straight
  • Outsider Diameter: 2.5"/63mm
  • Thickness: 0.05"/1.2mm
  • Length: 4FT/1.2
Did you look for it in a thinner wall thickness so you wouldn’t have to expand it as much? Something like 0.035 or 0.040?

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Did you look for it in a thinner wall thickness so you wouldn’t have to expand it as much? Something like 0.035 or 0.040?
Yes, I looked but couldn’t find anything readily available. There was a place or two that I came across that could custom make it to specs but just more $ and time.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts