Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Keep trying different things. Wonder how spraying with teflon lube would work. Suppose to turn dry when applied.

Reactions: rzrhle

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Wonder if it would work for the rest of us non-mudders.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I apply dry lube liberally to clean shocks before each ride aswell.. it helps a bit, but I agree with greyhoundman

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Well, I think the band-aid idea went out the window. I took 2.5” stainless exhaust pipe and expanded it with the HF press enough to give it a light press fit onto the shock body. It fits snug but ( if a can get it back off) I’m going to drill a small hole and weld a nut on it near the bottom for a set screw to ensure that it doesn’t slide off. I left plenty of room for shock adjustment and the spring divider will never get up to the threads. I would appreciate any thoughts on it- good or bad because I’m not a machinist, metal allergist or welder. I’m a biochemist 😂

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Nice ideal with potential. Not sure how anything protruding will survive the harsh spring travel. Spring might destroy it. How about a crip on the bottom that has to be forced on and would be smooth.

Reactions: rzrhle

·
Registered
68 Posts
I tried something similar with central vac tube from Home Depot. The fit was very close and the slider moved perfectly. Just have to figure out a way to secure it.
Lost patience with it but might try again during the winter

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I'm curious, how did you expand the tubing with a press?
I used a bushing/bearing driver set. The I.D. of the pipe was 60.6 mm. The O.D. of the shock body was somewhere around 63 mm. So I had to stretch the pipe roughly 3mm.

I stretched it 1mm at a time. I started with a 61mm driiver followed by the 62, 63 and 64 drivers. I found that the pipe had memory. After pressing the 64mm driver thru, the pipe I.D. was left at 63mm but that was enough to press it on the shock.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
To finish up- I drilled a hole and welded a nut on to the top back of the sleeve so to use a set screw. I had never welded on stainless steel exhaust pipe before and I learned real quick that I had to do short quick tacks letting it cool in between or I would just blow thru it. I got the nut welded on and tightened the set screw down into the threads of the shock- no way the sleeve can slide off, it would have to dig thru about three inches of shock thread to do so. There was a little bit of a clearance issue but after I tightened down the screw, I ground down the head of it so it would clear the tender spring. It’s ugly and why I put it on back - 😝

The other side still has the bandaid on it so I think I will leave it on there for a ride or two just to see how it does. In the mean time I will be making another stainless sleeve for it.

I’m about 98% confident on this Jerry Rigging . 😂

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Looking forward to some long term results. If this works well for you then I might do the same thing this winter.

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
Wouldn’t Running limit straps pose a problem with the dirt skirts ?

Sent from my iPhone using RZRForums.net
Why? They just cover the springs. I would think they would make it less likely for a limit strap to get tangled up in the springs.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts