Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
People say clock your springs so to stop the spring spacer from rubbing and wearing out your shock body. HA! Over the years I’ve clocked my springs every way possible to prevent wear and it simply does not stop the wear. 6,309 miles of Windrock, TWRA and Royal Blue dust, dirt and mud getting in between the spring spacer and shock body is what does it!! Lol

Well, let’s see how long this lasts:

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is it and where do I get it?
Medi0gre, understand I’m just experimenting and I have no idea how well this will work if any at all . I feel pretty good about it. I mean, I grinded and sanded on it for a good 30 minutes to remove some excess plastic because I found it needed to be heated evenly all around. I messed up by just hanging on the shock when hearing it with the heat gun.

Anyway if you want to try it, I would recommend the 3” ID before shrink black thick wall with adhesive.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
See how well it stands up. Looks like heat shrink tubing. Might be the real thing IF it stands the beating. Looks like it had to be sanded down quite a bit. Nest step would be to modify the slider to go over without the sanding.

Reactions: rzrhle

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
I'm thinking something like this should be done from day one to protect the shock bodies. Great aftermarket opportunity I think.

·
Registered
153 Posts
The thing is they have these things for the snowmobiles.
If only I had access to a 3d printer..
Heres a example that Hygear sells

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
I don't think snowmobiles use dual rate springs. So much easier to do looking at the sleeve.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I'm not sure why that would matter (dual rate).
As long as the sleeve came up high enough to thread on to the shock body covering the wear area.
It could go right up to the underside of the cross over.
What would keep it from unthreading and working it's way down the shock presents another hurdle.
May a dab of loctite or silicone on the threaded portion?

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not sure why that would matter (dual rate).
As long as the sleeve came up high enough to thread on to the shock body covering the wear area.
It could go right up to the underside of the cross over.
What would keep it from unthreading and working it's way down the shock presents another hurdle.
May a dab of loctite or silicone on the threaded portion?
The problem with the RZR Walker Evans is that the shock body is the same size from top to bottom and the threads are cut into that. ... so sliding something up over the wear area to thread onto the threads at the top would be to big to do so.

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
I've posted it many times but I use neoprene shock covers. I have Dirtskins make mine to custom sizes to fit my needs. Always ran them on mx bikes, and now on the rzr after having to have all 4 shock bodies replaced.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Looks like a cool idea. Let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I've posted it many times but I use neoprene shock covers. I have Dirtskins make mine to custom sizes to fit my needs. Always ran them on mx bikes, and now on the rzr after having to have all 4 shock bodies replaced.
Have photos? How does it fit underneather the spring divider?

Sent from my iPhone using RZRForums.net

·
Premium Member
1,476 Posts
They go over the outside of the complete shock.

download.jpg

Reactions: Clothier

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hows the wear with the dirt skins and how many miles have you had em on?

@rzrhle do you think there'll be a issue with stiction between the shrink and the spring divider?

·
Premium Member
2,540 Posts
maybe another option ?

·
Registered
3,529 Posts

@rzrhle do you think there'll be a issue with stiction between the shrink and the spring divider?
Had them on for around 500 miles, zero wear from the looks of it. If you keep the dirt out there isn't much to wear on the aluminum. The plastic sliders should wear easier than the shock bodies. I do remove them after every ride and wash them. So far I haven't found any dirt inside the Dirtskins. As I said before I've ran them for years on mx bikes and quads. I would have been running them on the rzr but, I bought it used and the shock bodies were already starting to wear anyhow. The down side is they probably do keep alittle heat in, but for my riding it's not an issue.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Not sure but I’m curious to find out. I’ll give it a ride or two to see how it does or not does (lol). Ive got a couple of more ideas I want to throw at it.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts