Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am replacing all of the bearings and seals in my 2010 RZR-S rear diff. i used the spacer and shim that were between the original bearings, after torqueing the pinion nut the pinion is very tight (hard to turn) I think I have too much preload. Does anyone know what the preload should be on the rear pinion bearings?

·
Premium Member
1,894 Posts
HPD use to sell an aftermarket housing, that you populated with your existing parts.

Per HPD instruction sheet:
"Preheat the case and tap the bearing races into the case. Allow case to cool. Shim pinion bearings for a bearing preload, measured by torque, to rotate with 7 to 12 in-lbs, when lightly oiled, without seal installed. Torque pinion nut to 275 to 300 ft-lb. with Red Loctite.
Shim the right hand spool bearing for contact patch and .0035" to .007" backlash.
Shim the right hand cover bearing for a bearing preload of .0035" to .007"

Rear differential backlash and pre-load

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HPD use to sell an aftermarket housing, that you populated with your existing parts.

Per HPD instruction sheet:
"Preheat the case and tap the bearing races into the case. Allow case to cool. Shim pinion bearings for a bearing preload, measured by torque, to rotate with 7 to 12 in-lbs, when lightly oiled, without seal installed. Torque pinion nut to 275 to 300 ft-lb. with Red Loctite.
Shim the right hand spool bearing for contact patch and .0035" to .007" backlash.
Shim the right hand cover bearing for a bearing preload of .0035" to .007"

Rear differential backlash and pre-load
Thanks but still doesn't give me per-load :(

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes it does. Read it again. Post #2 HPd instruction sheet…

7 to 12 in lbs.
It just says to shim bearing for a preload it does not say how much preload? Like one thou or 10 thou? measuring resistance is not that precise... Usually you would shim the bearings just until no end play is present then remove the appropriate amount of shims to establish recommended preload.

·
Registered
2020 Polaris RZR Pro XP Premium
1,872 Posts
It just says to shim bearing for a preload it does not say how much preload? Like one thou or 10 thou? measuring resistance is not that precise... Usually you would shim the bearings just until no end play is present then remove the appropriate amount of shims to establish recommended preload.
Ok, I’ll break it down for ya Barney style…

The preload spec is 7 to 12 inch pounds. That was given to you in post #2 above.

The preload specification is a measurement of the resistance when free spinning the pinion shaft without the carrier installed.

How you get there, is you tighten the pinion nut a tiny bit at a time, until you start to feel physical resistance when turning the pinion by hand.

Then, you use a tool called a torque wrench. In this instance, you need a beam style torque wrench like this…(a digital or click type torque wrench will not work)

Automotive lighting Nickel Gas Sword Metalworking hand tool

You place the torque wrench on the pinion nut and turn it free spin not torquing it. You are just taking a measurement here. The torque will spike slightly as it overcomes static friction, then it will settle in as you continue to turn the pinion nut.

Read the torque wrench while your are turning the nut, and see if it is between 7 and 12 inch pounds. If it is, you are done. If it is below, then torque the pinion nut a small amount and remeasure. Repeat until you get it correct.

I am an auto mechanic, so I honestly don’t know if the rzr has a crush sleeve on the pinion shaft or not. If it does, it needs to be replaced every time you go too far with the preload, so take your time and baby steps the torque.

I apologize if I sound condescending, I don’t mean to. I am genuinely attempting to help you with this explanation. I have no idea of your intelligence level or mechanical knowledge or abilities.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm am a millwright and a welder so their isn't much I cant fix. The rear pinion nut must be torqued to 250 ft/lbs with lock tight otherwise the nut can come loose, so your analogy of tightening the nut a little at a time to get 7 to 12 pounds resistance doesn't fly. Thanks for your help thus far but I'll figure it out.

·
Registered
2020 Polaris RZR Pro XP Premium
1,872 Posts
I'm am a millwright and a welder so their isn't much I cant fix. The rear pinion nut must be torqued to 250 ft/lbs with lock tight otherwise the nut can come loose, so your analogy of tightening the nut a little at a time to get 7 to 12 pounds resistance doesn't fly. Thanks for your help thus far but I'll figure it out.
If it requires 250ft lbs, and there is a spec for preload, i would imagine the purpose of the shims is to get the preload correct. So it’s torque it, measure it, and add/remove shims and start over.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If it requires 250ft lbs, and there is a spec for preload, i would imagine the purpose of the shims is to get the preload correct. So it’s torque it, measure it, and add/remove shims and start over.
Yes exactly, so if i had a range of preload like maybe 2 to 5 thousands of an inch (which was my original ask) would save me allot of trial and error. The rebuild kit only comes with shims for the crown gear not the pinion so these have to be made by hand.

·
Premium Member
1,894 Posts
Polaris gave no information on rear diff service.
They bought them from Spicer and installed them.
Polaris will sell you a new rear diff.

Spicer published no specs or service information on the Model 26 Independent Suspension (rear diff) because of NDA's they entered into with Polaris.

All we have is what HPD reverse engineered.
I am guessing here, but I would think that to get a turning resistance of 7 to 12 in-lbs (without seals) the preload would be some where between zero & .001"

Smokinjo, If you figure out a preload amount please let us know.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts