Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I’m new here and could really use some help. I have a 2019 Polaris RZR 900 trail model and I’m having some difficulties with it. It’s has 45 hours and 225 miles on it. The only mods done to it is a snorkel and 29” tires. The issues I’m having include the vehicle kind of surging when try to move at a very low speed like when crawling and also a bad clunking noise in the rear end when I give gas, let off the gas, or in bumpy, uneven terrain. The surging, though bad, I can live with for now, but the rear end making that horrible metal clanking sound I cannot do. The sway bar links are tight and the clutches aren’t making the noise. I do however have movement of the axles at the diff side. I am able to grab the axle and kinda wobble it back and fourth when I yank on it. I really hope y’all are able to help and I thank you in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using RZRForums.net

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
If you can, jack the backend up and put it on jack stands. Have someone run the throttle to see if you can locate the noise.
My guess is you're hearing the clutches.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you can, jack the backend up and put it on jack stands. Have someone run the throttle to see if you can locate the noise.
My guess is you're hearing the clutches.
I tried this earlier today and it appears it’s coming from the differential, but it’s hard to say for sure. I took the cover off and messed with the clutches rotating them and what not to see if I could imitate the sound, but to no avail, I could not make the same sound. I don’t I’m have any clue what it could be. It’s never been rode real hard, but I plan to take it to the dealer tomorrow and at least get a diagnosis.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Hello everyone,
I’m new here and could really use some help. I have a 2019 Polaris RZR 900 trail model and I’m having some difficulties with it. It’s has 45 hours and 225 miles on it. The only mods done to it is a snorkel and 29” tires. The issues I’m having include the vehicle kind of surging when try to move at a very low speed like when crawling and also a bad clunking noise in the rear end when I give gas, let off the gas, or in bumpy, uneven terrain. The surging, though bad, I can live with for now, but the rear end making that horrible metal clanking sound I cannot do. The sway bar links are tight and the clutches aren’t making the noise. I do however have movement of the axles at the diff side. I am able to grab the axle and kinda wobble it back and fourth when I yank on it. I really hope y’all are able to help and I thank you in advance.

It sounds like the clutches engaging/disengaging , mine does that when I back up real slow. Try giving it a little more gas. I need to put my HunterWorks belt on, they say that helps.
Or maybe you slipped ur belt.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It sounds like the clutches engaging/disengaging , mine does that when I back up real slow. Try giving it a little more gas. I need to put my HunterWorks belt on, they say that helps.
Or maybe you slipped ur belt.
Are you referring to the noise or the surging that I’m experiencing?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I have an update. Brought the rzr into the dealership today. The manager in the service department rode with me on their course and then drove it himself to hear the sound. He checked the sway bars and axles to make sure nothing was loose. He’s said the sound I’m hearing is the clutch engaging and disengaging. That combines with some rattling of something else. He said it’s nothing to worry about and to just ride it out. As for the surging, he diagnosed that as the belt having some wear spots in it and that it simply just needed to be replaced. Thoughts?

·
Registered
678 Posts
Are you referring to the noise or the surging that I’m experiencing?

Both, engaging & disengaging = the sound & the surging.
It happen going forward too, but I tend to get on the gas more going forward so not as much.
What 29" tires do you have, might want to use low gear more often or put in a clutch kit if they're a heavy tire.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
I haven't heard a rzr yet that didn't bang the clutches when turning slow or slowing down etc.... watch this video below at 22:03. Each lap you can hear it clanking every turn. This is a brand new machine... I know its a Pro but the clutch noise should be the same.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts