Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2012 rzr 800s and i am have a rear end noise that seems to be coming from the rear diff... i read somewhere that there was a nut that backed off and caused some damage to some other rzrs.. anyone know which one and how to go about fixing it.. or any other input.. its a loud clicking.. deff something coming loose inside... this thing has been nothing but problems since i got it.. plz help..

·
Registered
15,386 Posts
I would check the cv joints before suspecting the rear diff.

below is the drawing for a 2012 RZR-S rear diff if you really want to take it apart.
be warned that the nut requires a lot of torque. If it is the rear diff I would have a Polaris dealer or a transmission shop work on it to set the back lash and get the torque right. Check the service manual for more info.

·
Registered
7,253 Posts
Tuf-Skin,

I wasn't aware you could set the backlash on the Polaris rear diff. I thought that was why Polaris won't sell a ring and pinion set...just a new diff.

A friend lost the pinon bearing and it shattered the diff housing. I have that diff now, but haven't gotten around to dismantling it yet as a learning opportunity.

Curious,

Pirate

·
Registered
53 Posts
i have a 2012 rzr 800s and i am have a rear end noise that seems to be coming from the rear diff... i read somewhere that there was a nut that backed off and caused some damage to some other rzrs.. anyone know which one and how to go about fixing it.. or any other input.. its a loud clicking.. deff something coming loose inside... this thing has been nothing but problems since i got it.. plz help..
Im in the same boat you are. Did you figure your problem out yet?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm curious too. I have the same problem right now. I pulled my diff yesterday and everything looks good inside of it. I don't know....

·
Registered
7,253 Posts
shaun,

Did you do a thorough ispection of the pinion bearing?

I'd look very closely at the wear pattern on the ring gear and pinon gear teeth. any changes starting to show? The pattern uniform on all the teeth?

If you have it out, I'd change all the bearing and seals...I'd bet that's most of the problems with the diff!

Pirate

·
Registered
25 Posts
When I drained the oil, it looked good. No metal at all. There doesn't look like there is even a wear pattern on the ring gear or pinon teeth. I change my fluids pretty often, so I was suprised to even have a noise on my machine!

I first thought it was the right axle, but I changed it and the noise was still there. I had someone drive it while I walked behind it. You could see the diff bounce a little on take off and make a fairly quiet popping noise. It sure sounded like it was coming from the right side, but sometimes noises can play jokes. I wonder if it's the left axle and I did all this for nothing??

If it were bearing inside of the diff bad, there should have been some metal or they should wobble at least? The bearings on the ring gear shaft have a little play in them when you hold them in your hand, but it looks like they are designed to? I mean they are not tight like a wheel bearing.

I'm new to a lot of this, so I hope my terminology isn't throwing you off...

·
Registered
15,386 Posts
Tuf-Skin,

I wasn't aware you could set the backlash on the Polaris rear diff. I thought that was why Polaris won't sell a ring and pinion set...just a new diff.

A friend lost the pinon bearing and it shattered the diff housing. I have that diff now, but haven't gotten around to dismantling it yet as a learning opportunity.

Curious,

Pirate
HPD sells heavy duty housings and other parts for the rear diff.
They supply shims and tools for assembly and adjustment.
If you need a new part, I would check with Darrell at HPD.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Shaun...When you said you changed the right axle, did you change the entire assembly...cv joints, inboard and outboard also? I ask because if you have a bad inboard cv joint it can bind and pop/release and cause a shudder in the diff also. Just a thought.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yes, changed the entire assembly. Also changed the wheel bearing because it didn't look that good. I'm just wondering if it was the LEFT axle instead, and it was just hard to hear what I was hearing...lol.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Could be Shaun. Grab the left axle near the inboard CV joint and wiggle it looking for radial play in the joint. It shouldn't have any. If it does, that is likely your problem.

·
Registered
7,253 Posts
shaun,

Reading your last post....I just spent 20 minutes walking around the house, standing still..trying to figure out which of 5 smoke detectors was beeping for low battery. Finally..found it...the wife's new cordless phone lying on the dining room table.

Man this getting old really sucks!!!

I talked to HPD about their new housing. I was told that if I send in my undamaged rear diff, they'll disassemble it, replace all the seals and bearing and install in their housing, set right for about $1000. I'm probably going to do that this winter.

Pirate

·
Registered
25 Posts
Well here's an update. Put it all back together with a known good axle on the left (and new on the right). It still had the same problem. Jacked up the rear end and ran it in the shop. The noise is coming from the transmission! I have no idea what is in there that could cause it to jerk on take off and have the noise. It shifts into all gears fine. It jerks less in low, a lot in high. Once you get going, you can still hear something, but no jerking.

·
Registered
25 Posts
No, I'm not sure of that. You think that could be doing the same symptoms?? It really baffles me that it would be the transmission or anything really. It only has 128hrs and 1250 miles (08 model). I only ride it about 4 times a year at events and change my fluids after EVERY ride.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Seems to me it might be in the clutches. I would take the belt housing off and inspect your belt and see if you hear any noisies with the cover off.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
25 Posts
Now I did run the bike without the rear diff or axles on the jack stands too. I could put it in drive, rev it up and no noises. Looks like it just does it when a load is on it. I'll have to take the cover and clutch off anyway if I do have to pull the transmission, so I'll make sure I look it over good before I go to far. That sure would be nice if that were the problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mine was doing the same noise but it was the rear axle. One of the boots was torn so it got dirt in there and wore the axle out. I change the axle and the problem was gone.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts