Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While changing the oil last season, i stripped out the Helicoil for the rear differential drain plug. Does anyone know what size the replacement would be?

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
What model & year RZR?

The my RZR 800 does not have HeliCoils.

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
Did the HeliCoil strip out, or did it just unscrew with the plug?

If it is the stock drain plug, the thread size is 3/8-24 SAE Straight Thread O-ring (O-Ring Boss). You may be able to pick up some 3/8-24 HeliCoils and re-install one in the differential.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hey guys, my rear diff drain plug is also stripped. I don't have my repair manual around. Does anyone know if the plug is also a 3/8-24 standard (as mentioned above for the 2009) so I can purchase a Time-Sert kit to repair mine? I have a 2013 800 4 EPS.

thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,298 Posts
Drain plug part number 5133731 is listed for RZR 800 rear diff from 2008 thru 2014.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Okay, I'm trying to figure out how to repair my rear diff drain plug with the Time-Sert, but there is not a lot of room to drill and retap. Has anyone done this and how did you do it with the limited space?

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Rob:
We did a pinion nut on one in Reno last winter, the plug was stripped. I tool a 7/16-20 tap and ran it in with out drilling, then we used a short 7/16 Allen head bolt with a nylon washer to seal it.
Les

·
Registered
51 Posts
Rob:
We did a pinion nut on one in Reno last winter, the plug was stripped. I tool a 7/16-20 tap and ran it in with out drilling, then we used a short 7/16 Allen head bolt with a nylon washer to seal it.
Les
Thanks Les. Can you explain how you did this?

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Rob:

Les

Did the same thing Les , I would dip my tap in heavy wheel bearing grease turn two or three turns then clean tap and repeat . Pulled the chips out really well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Rob:
I used a taper tap so the starting size was small enough I didn't need to drill it out. After I had some good threads started I backed the taper out and used a plug tap to finish the threads the rest of the way. As Carl mentioned I used a bit of grease on the tap to collect the cuttings, I turned the tap about 1/2 to 3/4 turn then back off then advance a little more. Pulled it and cleaned after a couple of turns, then more grease and do it all over again.

One issue with using the plug with the drain in the center is clearance for the hex of the head.

Hope this makes sense.
Les

1 - 13 of 13 Posts