Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 09 RZRS, and I had a few questions like..

1. Is there an upgraded rear diff I should buy?? How much is it??

2. Are there any other things I should upgrade when I pull it, because I heard some guy talking about motor mounts going bad.

3. how labor intensive is this project?? I have done light RZR maintenance myself like replaced all the suspension bushings, rebuilt the front diff and installed all new cvs but is this going to be a whole lot worse than that???

Any info is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Taking the diff out sucks it will take you the first time 2hr++ i would upgrade to the hpd diff housing much stronger if your gears are still good if not then you will need to buy a diff from polaris and that will be 1000 easy.

·
Registered
7,130 Posts
On my 09 RZRS, and I had a few questions like..

1. Is there an upgraded rear diff I should buy?? How much is it??

2. Are there any other things I should upgrade when I pull it, because I heard some guy talking about motor mounts going bad.

3. how labor intensive is this project?? I have done light RZR maintenance myself like replaced all the suspension bushings, rebuilt the front diff and installed all new cvs but is this going to be a whole lot worse than that???

Any info is greatly appreciated.
Cat, if your avitar says anything about who you are, you can handle this project. It is just a BUNCH of nuts and bolts. I can think of worse projects! How did u grenade your diff?

·
Vendor
4,175 Posts
It does take some special tools to take apart and correctly assembly gear sets in a new case.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Mine blew too and the newer rear was supposed to be stronger. But I analyzed it and figured out my pinion bearing failed and a roller jammed in gears, snapped the pinion and blew the side of the housing out.

I choose to put a international diff "turf saver" in with unlockable actuator. I am still building a mechanical actuator in the lathe for it so I can unlock it for pavement driving.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It blew coming down Mt. Antero during the RZR forum meet. I applied some throttle to kick in the engine compression braking and right as it kicked in "BOOM!". It was a fun ride back to Tincup in front wheel drive.

I'm assume it's the same set up as a Truck diff with a ring gear and pinion and spider gears?? I'm pretty sure my gears are toast! It grinded all the way back and when I tired to back it out of the trailer when I got home the rear end locked totally up. I really like the idea of having a lockable rear diff for turf saving since I use it at the family farm and being in a drought with 25 horses, I don't wanna tear up any more grass than I have too, but I don't wanna have to machine any special parts either. I would like to know more about the International turf diff if possible, reliability ect..

·
Registered
428 Posts
it is very reliable. the main problem with the solenoid that comes with the international "TURF SAVER" differential is that it takes 12v to engage and about 1-2 volts to hold it. if you leave 12v going to it the solenoid will burn up. many have tried to design ways to engage it without switching out ecu and harness.

one design i came up with was a three postition switch, off in one position, middle would have a resistor soldered to it to bring to 2v, and third position would be momentary on wih full 12v. so you would depress switch to momentary position and it would release to center to supply holding voltage. arctic cat makes a swicth that would work.

i choose to make a mechanical disengager that i can run from cab, the machining is very simple actually. feel free to message me if you have any questions
http://www.rzrforums.net/engine-drivetrain/45617-mechanical-actuator-turf-saver-diff.html
Polaris RZRMODS Turf Saver Project

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
it is very reliable. the main problem with the solenoid that comes with the international "TURF SAVER" differential is that it takes 12v to engage and about 1-2 volts to hold it. if you leave 12v going to it the solenoid will burn up. many have tried to design ways to engage it without switching out ecu and harness.

one design i came up with was a three postition switch, off in one position, middle would have a resistor soldered to it to bring to 2v, and third position would be momentary on wih full 12v. so you would depress switch to momentary position and it would release to center to supply holding voltage. arctic cat makes a swicth that would work.

i choose to make a mechanical disengager that i can run from cab, the machining is very simple actually. feel free to message me if you have any questions
http://www.rzrforums.net/engine-drivetrain/45617-mechanical-actuator-turf-saver-diff.html
Polaris RZRMODS Turf Saver Project
This might help with the switch

http://www.rzrforums.net/general-rzr-discussion/46186-turf-mode-diff-wiring-figured-out.html

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi I had a rear end failure that appeared to be a pinion nut backing off but at future inspection i believe the nut was never installed al the way on the shaft. The nylock material does not show any thread markings from the pinion shaft. I believe the coupling shaft supported the pinion until it finally broke and caused it to look like the nut backed off. has anyone seen this? my razor is less than a year old it is a 2012.

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Not sure what a "turf saver" diff is, but the RZR International model now comes with a solenoid that unlocks the diff to drive on pavement. Since locked is what all domestic RZRs come with, the Intl model might fit your needs.

No the stock rear diff does not have spider gears. Its a locked axle at all times.

Pinion bearing failure is the typical cause of grenaded rear diffs. Yours look like this:

Bummer,

Pirate

·
Registered
659 Posts
My rear diff has started throwing the right rear axle (cv) out of the housing. I replaced the spring clip but it continues to do it. Afraid e repair is to replace the diff as it may have worn the lock grove and it won't hold anymore. Anyone heard of or experienced this?

·
Premium Member
4,381 Posts
HPD inc has a monster diff housing for about $650. Looks like a gorilla.

·
Vendor
4,175 Posts
We do a lot of the HPD diff upgrades for customers. I have them in stock. If your ring and pinion is good, send it to us and we will set it up in the HPD case. I have not heard of a single one breaking yet.

·
Registered
659 Posts
We do a lot of the HPD diff upgrades for customers. I have them in stock. If your ring and pinion is good, send it to us and we will set it up in the HPD case. I have not heard of a single one breaking yet.
Can you shoot me a PM with some more info? Prices with or w/o ring & pinion.
I think that my ring gear splines are whats effed up, actually the snap ring groove because it won't hold the cv shaft securely anymore. Have you seen this before?
Thanks for the feedback!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts