Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so here's the situation.. Pulling a trailer with my Rzr, loaded down with gravel, filling some drainage ditches around the house. Going down hill, the trailer jack-knifes and pins up against my rear left tire. Silly me, gave it a bit more gas to pull out of the situation, which it did admirably, with a loud snap as the rear left axle snapped.

So now I'm looking for a new Axle Assembly. Contacted Super ATV about getting one of their Rhino Axles, but they're out of stock on the rear axles until the first week of October. Any other reconmendations? Preferably at the similar $200 price point? *lol* See several deals on eBay from CV Restoration (rebuilds I suppose) and American CV, but haven't seen anything discussed on them. Local dealer is wanting $281 + tax locally for the OEM replacement, but seems like the Rhino's may be a little beefier anyway. Anyone else sell the Rhino brand?

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Johnny, did the axle actually break or was it one of the CV's? If an axle, a lot of the venders have stock's around after upgrading clients to a long travel and might deal. I bought 3 for a great price. I now carry a front and rear complete axle assembly with me in my truck.
Your RZR was doing well until you had your accident. I have been running stock axles for around 5,000 miles, never broke one, have broke CV's though and I'm Turbo'd
John

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The actual Axle Shaft broke flush where it comes out of the Inner CV.. Close enough into the Inner CV I'm not sure there would be any easy way of getting it out without destroying the CV, so seems that replacing the entire Axle Unit will be my safest bet. No real upgrades, running stock tires and such, so the extra strength isn't much of a requirement I suppose. I just like to get a little wild in the backwoods, mud and powerline trails :)

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Johnny you can get the piece out. You just need to disassemble the cv and pound/press out the piece from the back. So if I was in your place I would contact the vendors on the form that install long travels (like Holz, etc.) have them send you a stock axle asap, then.
1. Cut the clamps on the cv (save your clamps because you can get repalcements @ a car parts store, even the boot if needed.
2. Remove the inner snap ring that is on the inside edge of the housing (you can find this by figuring why the balls won't come all the way out when you extend the axle) the inner snap ring has a gap where you can peal it out.
3. pull out the inner parts (this whole job is messy and when apart the balls will be free so be prepared to capture them).
4. It you can press, punch the broken shaft thru the inner hub, do otherwise press it out from the inner side.
5. Reassemble in reverse order,using new CV grease form a car store.
6.Install the clamps with a special tool from the store.
You should be able to do the whole jog for less than 1/2 of the cost of the whole assembly and also gain a bunch of knowledge,
John

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For now I have ordered an entire axle assembly for quick replacement. I will also look for a axle shaft and see about rebuilding this one with my CV's to keep as a spare. Seems like a handy thing to have around the garage *lol* Thanks for the breakdown on the rebuild steps.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Johnny, like I mentioned, I have a front and rear complete set that I keep in my truck wraped up in plastic. the truck tows the RZR trailer so @ least I can repalce @ the trailhead if needed

1 - 7 of 7 Posts