Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to report on the real world pipe testing I have been doing.

Stock
HMF
Muzzy
Sparks Racing

Car setup: R&R cage, 30x10x14 STI Rocktane tires, STI beadlocks, DirtyDawg clutch kit, ignition by Chris @ Benchmark Performance (raises rev limit to 9500 & top speed to 95 mph), Dobec Auto tune with cruise set at 13.5 and WOT set at 13.0 on the AFR . I clutched all of them to turn a max rpm of 8350-8400

I test these pipes using an analog tach, and two GPS speedo's at a steady uphill grade near my house in rural Washington. I have painted marks on the road at 1/4 mile and 1/2 mile.

I don't have a lot of time to go into detail at the moment...so I will just post the top speeds at the 1/2 mile.

1/2 Mile speeds via GPS:

Stock = 70-71 mph

HMF = 70-71 mph - pulls harder than stock on the bottom end - crisper throttle response

Muzzy = 69-70 mph - pulls harder than stock on the bottom, but seems to flatten out on the top end

Sparks Racing = 73-74 mph. - Pulls harder everywhere.

Of note is the fact that I tested the Muzzy back to back with the Sparks pipe. With the same clutch weight, the Muzzy pulled 8350 rpm, and the Sparks pipe did 8550 rpm at 73 mph. When I added some tip weight to the clutch arms to bring the rpm down, the Sparks pipe pulled harder, and came up in speed at the 1/4 and 1/2 mile marks.

I am not associated with any of these manufacturers.

Chris

·
Registered
41,101 Posts
Sparks makes some AZZ KIcking Engine Parts...

They also built a "MEAN AZZ" BITD Engine for Justin Lambert (owner of Cognito Motor Sports) he just won the Silver State 300 with his New Sparks Powered XP 4 1000...

·
Registered
167 Posts
Which Sparks system did you test? Slip on or full system? What was the AFR while you were testing? Did you have to do some tuning to keep the AFR consistent?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sparks full system

As stated in my post...Dobec Auto tune controller with cruise set at 13.5 AFR and WOT set at 13 AFR

Chris

P.S. You can now buy just the front end of this system to retrofit onto the existing Sparks mufflers. This consists of a header and new mid pipe to hook into the mufflers.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes... it comes with header and new mid-pipe... which does away with factory donut gasket... You can buy this separately if you already have the slip-ons.

Sent from my Android Smartphone

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Been looking at exhaust, looks like I'm going with sparks. Do you have any video of the sparks? Just didn't really want to deal with repacking the cans but I've always liked sparks exhaust had it on all my 4 wheelers. If you go full system do you have to do the clutch kit and tuner?. Slip on just as good?

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The full system is better... the length of the primaries is longer and different diameters than the stock pipe. .. so yes. ..I recommend a tuner... it is flowing air differently than stock. Yes I would recommend a clutch kit. .. it is producing more power than stock and easily revs past 8400 rpm which is above where you should have it clutched for peak horsepower.

Sent from my Android Smartphone

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
I wanted to report on the real world pipe testing I have been doing.

Stock
HMF
Muzzy
Sparks Racing

Car setup: R&R cage, 30x10x14 STI Rocktane tires, STI beadlocks, DirtyDawg clutch kit, ignition by Chris @ Benchmark Performance (raises rev limit to 9500 & top speed to 95 mph), Dobec Auto tune with cruise set at 13.5 and WOT set at 13.0 on the AFR . I clutched all of them to turn a max rpm of 8350-8400

I test these pipes using an analog tach, and two GPS speedo's at a steady uphill grade near my house in rural Washington. I have painted marks on the road at 1/4 mile and 1/2 mile.

I don't have a lot of time to go into detail at the moment...so I will just post the top speeds at the 1/2 mile.

1/2 Mile speeds via GPS:

Stock = 70-71 mph

HMF = 70-71 mph - pulls harder than stock on the bottom end - crisper throttle response

Muzzy = 69-70 mph - pulls harder than stock on the bottom, but seems to flatten out on the top end

Sparks Racing = 73-74 mph. - Pulls harder everywhere.

Of note is the fact that I tested the Muzzy back to back with the Sparks pipe. With the same clutch weight, the Muzzy pulled 8350 rpm, and the Sparks pipe did 8550 rpm at 73 mph. When I added some tip weight to the clutch arms to bring the rpm down, the Sparks pipe pulled harder, and came up in speed at the 1/4 and 1/2 mile marks.

I am not associated with any of these manufacturers.

Chris

Thanks for sharing your results!! I've been back and forth between the Sparks and Barker exhaust systems. The Dobeck Gen 4 is the only fuel controller to run in my opinion! They're awesome! :ride:

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Like to see how the SLP compares too

·
Registered
256 Posts
Hey Guys,

Here's a picture of an installed system. Let me know if you have any questions! And, a link to the info on our site: X-6 Stainless Steel Exhaust System, Polaris 2014- RZR 1000 XP/ XP4

Is there one like this for the 900? Is the plumbing on a 1000 exhuast bigger in diameter than a 900 exhaust? It looks bigger in the pics.
No, our 900 system is a 2-into-1. Yes, The diameters and tune lengths are completely different from the 900 to 1000 system.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts