Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
I am about to start pulling the gearbox out of my highlifter due to an oil leak coming from the two case halfs and while it is apart I will be installing an upgraded output shaft and pinion plate. While it is all apart I figured it would be the best time to regear it with the extreme kit that is available from HD Extreme offroad. My question is...Has any one installed this in their machine and if so, how much of a difference did it make and if you feel it was a worth while upgrade. I am currently running 30" tires but am replacing them with 32" tires in the upcoming month. My riding is primarily up in the mountains and some heavy rock trails so top speed is not that much of a factor however I do need to travel some lengthy distances down FSR roads to get to the trails and really don't feel like listening to an engine buzzing at 7000rpm at 40-50 mph. Any opinions from from you guys that have done this mod would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I guess no one has gone down this road since there has been no response, anyways I have proceeded with the removal of the gearbox and tear down and unfortunately found some damage to the pinion shaft and snorkel gear caused by a previously repaired snorkel gear along with other items.
E111629C-D0A6-4D75-8647-550D1C38C9F4.jpeg
I purchased this machine when it had 200 miles on it and it had always bothered me to see orange RTV silicone as glue for the case halves and now I know why. The pinion plate and bolts were bent and the snorkel gears had an extreme amount of wear (not broken) which looks as though it was caused by an incorrect backlash adjustment. So, long story short.. I will be installing the ace 325 gear set but will not be adding the additional low range gear set as the cost of this repair is escalating out of control now that a pinion shaft and snorkel gear also have to be purchased.

·
Aspiring Perfectionist
3,127 Posts
You don't want those optimum gears anyway really....you'll be plenty low with the Ace 325 set, and you won't have to listen a loud gear whine all the time lol. Those optimum gears stacked on top of an Ace 325 reduction would make you turn 7000 RPM at 40-50 like you want to avoid.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess no one has gone down this road since there has been no response, anyways I have proceeded with the removal of the gearbox and tear down and unfortunately found some damage to the pinion shaft and snorkel gear caused by a previously repaired snorkel gear along with other items. View attachment 643308 View attachment 643308 I purchased this machine when it had 200 miles on it and it had always bothered me to see orange RTV silicone as glue for the case halves and now I know why. The pinion plate and bolts were bent and the snorkel gears had an extreme amount of wear (not broken) which looks as though it was caused by an incorrect backlash adjustment. So, long story short.. I will be installing the ace 325 gear set but will not be adding the additional low range gear set as the cost of this repair is escalating out of control now that a pinion shaft and snorkel gear also have to be purchased.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, finally got all the necessary parts that I needed to assemble the gearbox back together. Pretty happy with the result so far and really nice to have a quiet gearbox again and a clutch that actually works( did some updates to that as well)The gear reduction seems good so far but won’t be able to really tell until I hit the trails.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts