Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First ride over the weekend at Shasta with UTVCrazy group and my new Razorback gauge. I mounted at 3 o’clock and was seeing temps of 200 when climbing fairly regularly. We went from 900’ to 4000’ and I saw 208 at the hottest while moving constantly. Is that normal? I saw averages of 180 the rest of the time.
Also, at WOT in low, I saw my belt temps spike pretty hard on relatively flat roads. What gives? I thought that I’d be moving a ton of air to keep those clutches cool.

·
Aspiring Perfectionist
4,178 Posts
WOT in should be avoided in low really, but WOT will generate heat rapidly no matter the situation, just sometimes worse than others, don’t start to worry unless you’re seeing extended periods of 220+.

This topic is a can of worms, but to answer your initial question, 208 as a max is perfectly normal, and I wouldn’t worry a bit, 180 as an average is perfect

Sent from my iPhone using RZRForums.net

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shoot that’s great news thanks. I read some other threads from the end of 2018 where people where talking about the gauge turning red around 220, but mine does it at 200. Any idea why they changed it?
And why avoid WOT in low?

·
Aspiring Perfectionist
4,178 Posts
220 should be where it goes red. 200 is still plenty normal, cooler is always better, but they generate heat, so in a full throttle or high load scenario, it’s normal to see a little hotter temps. Generally speaking, the cooler a belt runs, the longer it lasts, but you can only keep it so cool when there’s a lot of load on it

“avoid WOT in throttle in low in a high load situation” is a better way to put it, it’s a lot of torque in the drivetrain, and when couple with a high load... it’s tends to break stuff, and generate excessive belt heat... I’m not really saying you can’t put the hammer down in low, just know there’s consequences when it’s done in a lot of situations... if you need to go that fast in low, it’s best to switch to high.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I had the same problem at Walker River. I have never had a problem with belt temps before. I changed the belt on the trail and still had the same problem. The belt that came off had 1500 miles on it and still looked new. I haven't blown the clutch out lately so that might be it. I ordered the CVT Blaster 2 today so that will help keep it cooler, whatever the problem may be.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Interesting. My gauge def turns red at 200 on the dot. Yeah that is a lot of power, can really feel it in 4wd. I only went wide open on some stretches of logging roads though. I couldn’t imagine a need to do that on a trail!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Wow, I am really surprised by the high temps everyone is getting. Been running mine here in Moab, UT and in low crawling trails I average 120-130 degrees . When in the sand and running in high wide open I run 145-160 degrees.

·
Aspiring Perfectionist
4,178 Posts
Wow, I am really surprised by the high temps everyone is getting. Been running mine here in Moab, UT and in low crawling trails I average 120-130 degrees . When in the sand and running in high wide open I run 145-160 degrees.

Don’t. Touch. It. Ever.

I dunno what kinda magic potion you got going on, but don’t ever change it.

Not exactly apples to apples, but I average 160-190 in low speed stuff after I got some issues sorted out, but if I go hard in the wash I’ll see 245 within 5-10 min with a full boat of passengers, hotter than most, but my machine weighs 3000 lbs with 4 people in it, on 32’s, with a tune.

120-130 is damn near too low lol, but I’d love it!

-Give it a second... it had to go to space and back first ( Sent from the lifeline that is my iPhone XS Max )

·
Vendor
10,366 Posts

Do you have a Razorback?

·
Vendor
10,366 Posts
Shoot that’s great news thanks. I read some other threads from the end of 2018 where people where talking about the gauge turning red around 220, but mine does it at 200. Any idea why they changed it?
And why avoid WOT in low?
My opinion on high temps in low at higher rpm is belt over travel and you are not running that high of rpm in high for long or you would see it there too.

We found belt over travel in some RZR turbo and non turbo and then created a spacer in the primary for those who have this issue and stop it.

Todd

·
Registered
43 Posts

Do you have a Razorback?

Yes. I have had one for almost a year now. Had it installed last year at Rally of the Rocks.

Sent from my iPad using RZRForums.net

·
Vendor
10,366 Posts
I suspect something is not right with it, normal belt temp is 165, might want to call them.

With temps that low thought you might have one of the gauges that measure air temp in the cover not the belt

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I have a Razorback gauge to. My belt temps are usually 120-145F. The highest I have ever seen is 150F. I just installed a HD belt from Hunterworks, I'm not a speed demon and mostly ride trails. The HD belt seems to run about 12 -15F warmer than my last two Gates belts. All have gotten 3500 miles on them and then I just toss them. They still looked in great shape. I have 12K on my 2015 Rzr 1K. Should be 15K by the end of summer.

One reason I think my belt temps are a lot lower is I run 2 wind wings on each side. These keep all the dust off us, but they also direct air down into both air panels for the air filter and belt housing.

My general average speeds are 10-20 mph on trails and on smooth flat roads 30-40 mph.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I have a Razorback gauge to. My belt temps are usually 120-145F. The highest I have ever seen is 150F. I just installed a HD belt from Hunterworks, I'm not a speed demon and mostly ride trails. The HD belt seems to run about 12 -15F warmer than my last two Gates belts. All have gotten 3500 miles on them and then I just toss them. They still looked in great shape. I have 12K on my 2015 Rzr 1K. Should be 15K by the end of summer.

One reason I think my belt temps are a lot lower is I run 2 wind wings on each side. These keep all the dust off us, but they also direct air down into both air panels for the air filter and belt housing.

My general average speeds are 10-20 mph on trails and on smooth flat roads 30-40 mph.
Roger, what are these wind wings you speak of?
I thought about something like that on Saturday. Some kind of a cowl. I didn't know someone already made them.

·
Registered
43 Posts

You seem to have the same temperature results that. Have experienced. I have not changed the original belt yet. I only have 1300 miles on it so hoping to get more out of it before I have to change it. I do carry a spare just in case.

I run a S&B particle separator on my air filter intake. Installed it the week I bought the RZR. I’m stock setup on belt housing.

I have very low average speeds. I’m running a trails and rocks addition and spend most my time crawling in low gear. 5-15 mph is normal for me. I’m almost always in 4WD when on the trail unless I just forget (old habit from my jeeping days of having to get out and lock the hubs). The low gearing seems to prefer this speed range. I’ve noticed that when I’m running close to 160 in high then slow down to get back into low gear, my temps will drop back into the 120.130 range after a short time.

Sent from my iPad using RZRForums.net

·
Vendor
10,366 Posts

Maybe I am the one with the issue but I know my clutching is right and low miles I see 145 within a qtr mile, then 165 around 60 mph

·
Registered
146 Posts
Interesting. My gauge def turns red at 200 on the dot. Yeah that is a lot of power, can really feel it in 4wd. I only went wide open on some stretches of logging roads though. I couldn’t imagine a need to do that on a trail!
I've only got about 300 miles on my turbo S since installing my razorback, but mine goes orange at 200, and Red at 220(225 maybe?)... had similar running conditions / results as you, but i also had a problem with mud clogging up my frogskin prefilter... once it peaks over 200, do you have a problem getting it to cool down?
razorback says to run it at low rpm until the temp drops, but mine doesn't really drop in temp until I let it sit...

·
Vendor
10,366 Posts
I've only got about 300 miles on my turbo S since installing my razorback, but mine goes orange at 200, and Red at 220(225 maybe?)... had similar running conditions / results as you, but i also had a problem with mud clogging up my frogskin prefilter... once it peaks over 200, do you have a problem getting it to cool down?
razorback says to run it at low rpm until the temp drops, but mine doesn't really drop in temp until I let it sit...
Since you have what I assume is a stock turbo, you might want to watch this

1 - 20 of 56 Posts