Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone run Racer Tech springs on a RZR 4 in sand? I have looked at several theads but haven't seen much on a RZR 4 in sand. What stiffness are you running? Are you happy with them?

Any insight is appreciated

·
Registered
716 Posts
I have the Racertech springs and am 95% sand. I have them on an XP2 though.

I like the ride over the stock springs, BUT my springs do rub on the shock body. Realistically, the threads that they rub on would NEVER, EVER be used since they are so low down on the body. However, I like to keep my things looking as nice as possible, and hate seeing that rub mark. For many I'm sure it wouldn't be an issue. Hope that helps

·
RZR Junky.....
2,718 Posts
I have the Racertech springs and am 95% sand. I have them on an XP2 though.

I like the ride over the stock springs, BUT my springs do rub on the shock body. Realistically, the threads that they rub on would NEVER, EVER be used since they are so low down on the body. However, I like to keep my things looking as nice as possible, and hate seeing that rub mark. For many I'm sure it wouldn't be an issue. Hope that helps
Is it the actual spring rubbing or the dual rate spacer?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes those are the springs I ordered, I went with the medium rate springs.

Install was very simple, I am still working on dialing in the pre load, right now the fronts are at 2.5" and the rears are at 3.75". Per the directions I started with no pre load and noted immediately that this was not going to work. The rear tires were rubbing on the fenders. After adjusting them a couple of times I think they are close now. These springs have really improved my overall ride, eliminated bucking and improved the ride through whoops. I did bottom out hard a couple of times on transitions, which is why I think I may need to add more pre load.

I had the same issue as bulldogz400 with rubbing, only took place on the front drive side shock. I am not too happy about this as I also like to keep my stuff looking as nice as possible. Take a look at the pictures below.

I am not certain of the powder coat expectations on a product like this, but I believe they could have done a better job. A couple of the springs have spots that show bare metal.

Overall the ride is much improved but the fit and quality could use improvement.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
I ran these on my race car, they were 2" O.D. Afco shocks. Wonder if they fit the Fox's.......hum ??

Text Font Tire

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
4,015 Posts
Just to clarify the rubbing issue. We do see some rubbing from time to time but it's quite rare now days. This is really just a production tolerance issue and we've worked with our mfg. for years to improve and reduce it. Bottom line however, is these springs are long and and skinny. Some bowing is inherent. If it makes anyone feel better, every $100k+ long travel sand rail we've ever built or seen has had worse rubbing issues then we've ever seen on a RZR and this is just a standard thing in that world since they run even longer springs...

If there was one thing a competitors spring may have on our dual rate design it would be the rubbing issue. However, with less than a 10% rate you're chances are unlikely. PLUS, we guarantee our springs are better than ANY other spring out there. We only hope this means something to our customers.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
....Sidenote: Also wish RT would offer the springs in orange!
You can have them powdered coated any color you want.
The only issue is that in order to save costs; they typically process them (powder coat your color) as a batch; which means you typically have to wait for other orders.
The amount they charge was definitely reasonable.

You can always have them powder coated locally to you.
I had mine shipped to my brother so he can do the powder coating for me.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The ride is much improved. The back end still bottoms out, which I am not happy about. At this point, the more preload I add, ride quality starts to suffer.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The ride is much improved. The back end still bottoms out, which I am not happy about. At this point, the more preload I add, ride quality starts to suffer.

If you had to do it over again would you have gone with the heavy springs in the rear and medium rate up front?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

If you had to do it over again would you have gone with the heavy springs in the rear and medium rate up front?
Probably...I am guessing that heavy springs would make sense if you carry passengers in the rear seats, which I typically do. I purchased the medium rate springs because they are what Racer Tech suggested after I gave them vehicle details, usual riding areas and the areas I was looking for improvement (bucking and bottom outs on dune transitions).

I am curious as to what preload others with RZR 4's are running?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Just put on mediums (labeled as 260 front, 300 rear) dual rates from RT on my RZR-S.

Glad I didn't go more stiff. For hard pack riding today they were great. Front got a lot of lift (2") with hardly any preload and rear sat about same as stock with just half inch of preload.

I will do a more thorough write up in another thread. Take care.

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Just put on mediums (labeled as 260 front, 300 rear) dual rates from RT on my RZR-S.

Glad I didn't go more stiff. For hard pack riding today they were great. Front got a lot of lift (2") with hardly any preload and rear sat about same as stock with just half inch of preload.

I will do a more thorough write up in another thread. Take care.
You sure those are medium springs?
I think mine are the same thing and they were supposed to be heavy...

·
Registered
404 Posts
Hmmm. That is what I ordered. Hope they didn't screw it up in powder coating and get confused which they sent. The numbers were written in black marker at the end of my coals.

Anyone else confirm what medium vs heavy dual rate spring rates are supposed to be from RT ?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Noticed something else... The instructions in my box are different than the one online. Mine showed pic of the long side of the center spacer facing into the short spring and the wording clearly stated the same. Online the pic is the same but wording says to put short side of spacer into the short spring.

I sent a note to RT. anyone else notice this? Perhaps already covered somewhere.

Thx

1 - 20 of 22 Posts