Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I am having a problem with the tilt steering on my 09 S. For some reason it just locked up and won't move. Luckly the steering wheel is in the right place for my ride this weekend. Question is; have any of you had this problem and if so was it fixable or is it time for a new one? Thanks for any help.

Al

·
Registered
633 Posts
You can buy the piston and associated parts at your dealer. My dealer has them hanging on the wall so they must sell a few from time to time. Probably looking at around $60.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, yeah, that was kinda what I was thinkin. Off to the dealer I go.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Mine did the same thing, I never adjusted it because I was the only one to ever drive it, but low and behold I let a buddy of mine that likes to drive with the wheel in his lap. He adjusted it and the button stuck so the wheel was at full tilt and wouldn't stay down. I figured out that from all of the washing of the car, the piston button rusted and stuck in the down position. Take it off, spray some penetrating lube at it and work it in and out. It will free up eventually. Then, after you wash it, spray a little more in the hole to keep it from happening again. Those pistons were $100 last time I checked. IMO, its worth the effort to try to fix it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mine did the same thing, I never adjusted it because I was the only one to ever drive it, but low and behold I let a buddy of mine that likes to drive with the wheel in his lap. He adjusted it and the button stuck so the wheel was at full tilt and wouldn't stay down. I figured out that from all of the washing of the car, the piston button rusted and stuck in the down position. Take it off, spray some penetrating lube at it and work it in and out. It will free up eventually. Then, after you wash it, spray a little more in the hole to keep it from happening again. Those pistons were $100 last time I checked. IMO, its worth the effort to try to fix it.
Yeah, I sprayed some penitrating oil in it a few days ago and no go. I called the local dealer and he pulled one off of a new RZR for me and I'll get it today.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Yup... been there done that. I found that once you clean and spray in the leaver area that I had to pull up pretty hard and then pull down sharply on the wheel. It finaly freed up and all is good. I spray and work it in after every mud ride and washing now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts