Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a set of brand new Fox Podium S shocks off of Ebay thinking I would be installing a long travel kit on my regular RZR. I never ride Dunes though and just mainly ride rocky trails here in Montana. Im always banging the skidplate on something.

Now Im thinking the best bet would be to add a lift kit and also to get rid of the stock shocks.

The S shocks alone would lift but put horrible bind on everything Im guessing. Would any of you guys take these shocks in on a trade towards something that would work on my machine or is that out of the question? Can these work with some product you sell? Let me know

I realize I could just sell them and start over, but I've never tried selling anything on Ebay and didn't really want to start now.

Thanks for the input ahead of time!

·
I just wanna ride
3,641 Posts
You bought a fantastic shock. Why don't you want to use them with the lift kit?

·
Registered
919 Posts
Let me know what you would like for them if you decide to sell. I might save you the trouble of listing.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
I think you'd be happier putting long travel on it. I'm more of a trail rider/mudder and the fact that the long travel on my S allows my tires to drop lower gets me through places others cant go. For instance, last weekend up in Tennessee, we were riding and found some mud holes. A rhino with a 2" lift and 27" tires tried to go through one and high centered. None of his tires were touching and i had to pull him out. I then went through it in my rzr S and when i hit the ruts my skid plate hit too, but the 12" of wheel travel allowed my tires to drop lower and make contact with something solid again and i came right out of it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You bought a fantastic shock. Why don't you want to use them with the lift kit?

Do you mean with the Long Travel kit? How could I simply use these shocks with a lift kit?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think you'd be happier putting long travel on it. I'm more of a trail rider/mudder and the fact that the long travel on my S allows my tires to drop lower gets me through places others cant go. For instance, last weekend up in Tennessee, we were riding and found some mud holes. A rhino with a 2" lift and 27" tires tried to go through one and high centered. None of his tires were touching and i had to pull him out. I then went through it in my rzr S and when i hit the ruts my skid plate hit too, but the 12" of wheel travel allowed my tires to drop lower and make contact with something solid again and i came right out of it.
This is very interesting and good to know. Could change things.

·
BatRazor
1,323 Posts
CCRob
Hail from Missoula, lots of family there. Where
you located at. I moved to California long ago.
Keep the shocks I went the same route. I bought
the +5 LT kit from SuperATV. If you go this route
get the off-set +5 kit. This will make your wheelbase
3" longer. Great for 4 wheeling. The extra width will
help out in the off camber sections. Make the high
speeds runs great. I love my setup. I went with the 1/2"
UHMW skid plate from FactoryUTV. This stuff is tops and it's
impossible to damage. You can go with there 3/8" skid if
you won't be doing alot of rocks. They also have some
great rock sliders made out of UHMW for side protection.
One of the best upgrades I've done to date is a Unisteer
power steering kit. Some people say it's not needed but
once you've driven a RZR with it installed there's no turning
back. Wife loves driving it now since the install.
I'll be upgrading the springs from Steve at MakinTrax, this will
improve the shocks a lot.
Also with the shocks and the LT kit this will give you some much
needed ground clearance.

·
Premium Member
2,778 Posts
I think you buy the progressive spring kit and let me re-valve what you have and save alot of money and hassle as well as have a great setup for Montana! I was in Anaconda once for 5 days and had a ball riding Mortorcycles there. Got to get back!

P.S. If your mind is set on new shocks I'll do a trade in deal for AFCO's.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BatRzr Im in Cooke City, heard of it?

Steve what exactly would you be revalving? Right now Ive got stock rzr shocks on a regular rzr. Ive got the Podiums sitting on the shelf but they wont work with what Ive got as far as I know.

I know you have the progressive springs that could go on the stock shocks but what would you be revalving?

·
Premium Member
2,778 Posts

Steve what exactly would you be revalving? Right now Ive got stock rzr shocks on a regular rzr. Ive got the Podiums sitting on the shelf but they wont work with what Ive got as far as I know.

I know you have the progressive springs that could go on the stock shocks but what would you be revalving?
You bought the shocks with a plan I'm sure. What is that plan?

If budget is a problem, save up for the Super ATV +5 kit, then think about the spring upgrade. If that is out of the question right now, sell the shocks (they are always for sale) and go with the springs for a stock replacement. That will get you by until you are ready to step up up. Call me I'll talk you off the ledge! Just don't make a stupid move!!!!!!!

·
King of crash!
31,882 Posts

If budget is a problem, save up for the Super ATV +5 kit, then think about the spring upgrade. If that is out of the question right now, sell the shocks (they are always for sale) and go with the springs for a stock replacement. That will get you by until you are ready to step up up. Call me I'll talk you off the ledge! Just don't make a stupid move!!!!!!!
thats a good plan get the super kit and use your shocks you bought

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Steve is a way-good guy..he is the shock and spring guru here...give him a call..you will be more than glad you did..

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Yes, the plan was LT, and most likely the Super ATV +5 kit. That got put on hold as I snow checked a new sled, golf clubs, etc etc :D...

Now after having time to think about the "plan" compared with the style of riding I do , I thought having a lift kit for more ground clearance would be better suited to the riding we have around here, which is rocky, mountainous trails, where I'm always banging the skidplate.

If the lift would be my better route then I still would want to get better shocks. I have broken a set of the stock shocks already and am on my 2nd rear pair, cant stand them.

I am very open to your input.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
shocks and springs with stock arms you mean? I guess point was I figured added clearance would help on these trails around here.

My new "plan" was lift kit plus better shocks, instead of "old plan" LT with the Podiums I bought.

·
Premium Member
2,778 Posts
[/QUOTE]Now after having time to think about the "plan" compared with the style of riding I do , I thought having a lift kit for more ground clearance would be better suited to the riding we have around here, which is rocky, mountainous trails, where I'm always banging the skidplate.

If the lift would be my better route then I still would want to get better shocks. I have broken a set of the stock shocks already and am on my 2nd rear pair, cant stand them.

I am very open to your input.[/QUOTE ]

No, I'm tlking about shocks and springs based upon your above comment

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
right but what about the ground clearance issue which is also in that above comment?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts