Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at making a set for my 09 RZR S

Looking at the rig, it has multiple angles, the middle angle is thinner in the front than the rear, and then there is a lip of plastic at the rear before the flare starts. Add to it that the edge actually curves along the bottom of the door, meaning the side of the RZR is not flat and things got complicated.

Now I went and looked at some of the already made ones. They appear to take none of this into account. Just 2 45 degree bends. The top of the rear of the slider has to have a gap. I have not seen one in person but I don't see how these could mount without having a gap. And being that they are just bent with 2 45's and equal spacing....there has to be an internal gap in the front, changing the lines of the RZR.

Some of the online ones I have seen are just a 90 degree bend and nothing more. Seems that would leave gaps all over the place and put a lot of stress on those little self tapper bolts.

Am I confused? I haven't seen any good pictures about how these mount and not many pictures of home made ones. I am concerned about using those few self tapper bolts to mount something with a tree kicker that will take some vertical force.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I made mine from 1/4 x 1/4 aluminum angle . You can bolt them up through the frame if you put them on parallel with the sides, I angled mine out and had to use the bolt holes on the side on the back 2 holes. Easy to build, cost about $65 I would guess and look better than most in my opinion.
I just built A arm guards from 1/8 aluminum for front and back, cost about $60 for plate and bolts and $5 to bend at machine shop.
Working on new design doors now, just don't like the look of the ones on the market, so had to come up with a different design.
Wayne

·
Banned
904 Posts
Muddypaws,

Here are the ones I got from Pro Armor. They use the 4 bolt holes you mentioned with longer supplied bolts and the 2 additional bolts that have a speed nut of sorts the fits inside the side bars that extend off of the frame rail. They dont really change the lines of the RzR and look pretty good. Not sure how they would hold up getting beat against rocks all day though. In my opinion, if I were making a set, I would do like I did with all my jeeps I built. I would take 2 pieces of flat stock and bolt them to the frame and then run whatever size tubing you want out fom them and bend it to contour to your liking.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, I see that there are indeed gaps at both ends. I have been out there many nights thinking about this and with the curved side of the RZR I didn't see how there could not be gaps.

I am itching to get this thing out and really ride it the way I wheel but I have to get some sort of protection on there first because I know i'll tear the rockers up.

Thanks for the pics.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I made mine from 1/4 x 1/4 aluminum angle . You can bolt them up through the frame if you put them on parallel with the sides, I angled mine out and had to use the bolt holes on the side on the back 2 holes. Easy to build, cost about $65 I would guess and look better than most in my opinion.
I just built A arm guards from 1/8 aluminum for front and back, cost about $60 for plate and bolts and $5 to bend at machine shop.
Working on new design doors now, just don't like the look of the ones on the market, so had to come up with a different design.
Wayne
Do you have a pic of how the angle looks on there. I see that most of the UHMW sliders are simply a 90 degree bend. I would do steel though with a tree kicker.

·
Registered
189 Posts
On the 570 fourm look for rock sliders with lights on aug 23, there is a couple pictures there, I can send you more pictures. If you send me your email

Wayne

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On the 570 fourm look for rock sliders with lights on aug 23, there is a couple pictures there, I can send you more pictures. If you send me your email

Wayne
Saw those a while back. Look cool. I thought they were some kind of box or c channel. They look like they stick out a bit.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I put them out at the back end , looks better I think, but you can run them straight. The top piece is aluminum from making signs, I was using it for solar panels I was building, it has a 1/4 in grove in it and it just slips over the top edge to give it a finish and just a couple rivets hold it on so I can take it off for the lights.

Wayne

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I put them out at the back end , looks better I think, but you can run them straight. The top piece is aluminum from making signs, I was using it for solar panels I was building, it has a 1/4 in grove in it and it just slips over the top edge to give it a finish and just a couple rivets hold it on so I can take it off for the lights.

Wayne
I am way confused.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts