Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, first post on this forum. I just purchased a new RZR XP 1000 and pick it up Tuesday. I went online and downloaded the PDF of the owners manual to familiarize myself with some things and as I went through the manual it had mentioned using 4 low to load and unload the machine onto/ off of a trailer. Is this required and is it something most of you RZR owners do? I’d love to know before I go to load it on when I pick it up Tuesday! Thanks in advance!

·
Vendor
10,288 Posts
Can't imagine 4wd is necessary but yes on using low range and do not make a habit of easing on the gas, you are just slipping and wearing your belt away.

Check our round rollers for secondary too, now is the time to do those

·
Registered
504 Posts
Don't know about using 4WD in Low, but certainly use Low. (I have a General so I use 1 Low).

You should always use Low when pulling something or continued riding below 25-30.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can't imagine 4wd is necessary but yes on using low range and do not make a habit of easing on the gas, you are just slipping and wearing your belt away.

Check our round rollers for secondary too, now is the time to do those
No easing on the gas? Are you always suppose to start off by giving it a shot on the throttle so the clutch engages quicker? Is that the logic behind not easing the gas? Thanks

·
Registered
548 Posts
It just depends on how steep your loading ramps are, if they aren't very steep, 2WD high is fine.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
It just depends on how steep your loading ramps are, if they aren't very steep, 2WD high is fine.
For the life of me I cannot think of any reason you would load in high range.

To the OP; They are telling you to load in 4-Lo because it is less likely to slip the belt, will give you more control, allow you to load more slowly, and will reduce/eliminate the possibility of slipping the rear tires and causing the unit to slide laterally on the ramp(s). I load mine in 4-Lo because why not?

·
Registered
548 Posts
For the life of me I cannot think of any reason you would load in high range.

To the OP; They are telling you to load in 4-Lo because it is less likely to slip the belt, will give you more control, allow you to load more slowly, and will reduce/eliminate the possibility of slipping the rear tires and causing the unit to slide laterally on the ramp(s). I load mine in 4-Lo because why not?
AGAIN, it depends on how steep your loading ramps are, on my trailer I have a 2' rise and my ramps are 6' long which isn't steep at all. I highly doubt you put yours in 4 low anytime you come to a slight incline, what's the difference ?

·
Registered
504 Posts
AGAIN, it depends on how steep your loading ramps are, on my trailer I have a 2' rise and my ramps are 6' long which isn't steep at all. I highly doubt you put yours in 4 low anytime you come to a slight incline, what's the difference ?
I don't understand your opposition to people putting it in Low?

·
Registered
548 Posts
I don't understand your opposition to people putting it in Low?
I'm not opposed to it, you can put it in any gear that makes you happy, I'm saying it's not necessarily mandatory you be in 4 low, you just need to base it on your specific circumstances.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I back mine onto the trailer so the engine is farther forward. I drive until my tires rest against the tube rails and use 4 tie downs. My utility trailer tows better and less sway with the weight forward. Congrats on the machine m, don’t overthink it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
424 Posts
I always use Low when loading or any other low-speed maneuvers. 4WD will be irrelevant for loading, since it won't engage until it senses wheelspin on the back wheels, so you can use it or not - won't make any difference.

Also agree with Todd's advice not to ease on the throttle. Get that clutch engaged as quickly as you can to avoid slipping/wearing the belt. You don't need to put your foot through the floorboard, but don't pussyfoot around just off idle where the clutch is barely engaging. One of our local shops does monthly tech talks, and at one of them he pulled the clutch cover and gave us a great demonstration of how the belt jerks/slips when you ease the throttle on.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I back mine onto the trailer so the engine is farther forward. I drive until my tires rest against the tube rails and use 4 tie downs. My utility trailer tows better and less sway with the weight forward. Congrats on the machine m, don’t overthink it!
That is true. Ever seen this video?

·
Premium Member
411 Posts
Wheels on the rail is too far forward even on my 12' trailers. 500lbs tongue weight. 300lbs back a foot which is perfect for a 3000 lbs or so trailer. Less buck and still no sway.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Yes to low.... I just purchased a XP4 1000 after having a RZR4 for 9 years. Never thought about low range as I creeped it into my enclosed trailer as my wife watched roof and belly clearance. Fried the belt. Smelled like I was doing burnouts.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts